Big Job- Change required

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Pretty sure when he came they said it was a four year deal.

Might be wrong. 

I thought it was 6 month lone deal Jan 17 and then 3 year permanent summer 17, but looks like it was a 4 year permanent so we've still got him for 18 more months :mad:

2 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

I thought it was 6 month lone deal Jan 17 and then 3 year permanent summer 17, but looks like it was a 4 year permanent so we've still got him for 18 more months :mad:

Might still be useful, if we are relegated next season

Speeking from experience, a bad attitude amongst work collegues is something that is infectious.. You can clear three staff members out but by that time its too late, the rest have 'caught it' and it is inevitable that the three new replacements will also soon be infected.  Usually the carriers of such infections are the staff members who have the most influence, the ones that young members of staff are drawn to and the ones who consider themselves irreplacable. 

Someone needs to be able to come into this club and have the chance to build their own squad like Carlos did under Chansiri. 

Appreciate that FFP might prove somewhat problematic in that respect, but in the summer a number of first teamers are out of contract. 

We are long overdue a squad overhaul. We have been crying out for a new team for a couple of years now. 

14 hours ago, gurujuan said:

What he would do, is identify a way of playing that suited the players he had, which is what Monk needs to do

Is it that simple? It seems to me that it's not formation or tactics that is the problem it's that we capitulate in some games or we just don't turn up.

The same team were very good agaonst Leeds, then they just fell to pieces against Blackburn. I can't explain why but it's been going on for years. Is it arrogance? Raise their game against top teams and play really well but think we can beat lower teams without much effort.

We know we need to freshen up the squad so take the opportunity of this summer to get rid of the ones who aren't prepared to put everything in to every game. We might not be able to get rid of all of them this time around but we should be able to make a good start. Monk must have a good idea of which players are at the root of the problem by now.

Hopefully this summer we can refresh the squad...lots of gaps to fill in my opinion 

Dawson

Wildsmith

?????                Iorfa.             Borner.            ??????

Palmer.              Lees.             ?????                Fox

Luongo.          ??????       Bannan

??????          ??????

??????                   ??????              Reach

??????                   Rhodes.              Harris

Honestly, I think having a younger, more vibrant team playing at Hillsborough every other week would pick up the atmosphere a bit. 

Even if they fell short of whatever, I think fans would be much more engaged and tolerant of a younger team playing some better football. 

As it is, we have bunch of vets playing football that would send an insomniac to sleep. 

I suppose that is part on Monk too, but then perhaps he feels this is the best he can do with what is available to him? Pretty sure Swansea didn't hoof it under him. Might be wrong. 

Edited by SiJ

1 minute ago, prowl said:

Is it that simple? It seems to me that it's not formation or tactics that is the problem it's that we capitulate in some games or we just don't turn up.

The same team were very good agaonst Leeds, then they just fell to pieces against Blackburn. I can't explain why but it's been going on for years. Is it arrogance? Raise their game against top teams and play really well but think we can beat lower teams without much effort.

We know we need to freshen up the squad so take the opportunity of this summer to get rid of the ones who aren't prepared to put everything in to every game. We might not be able to get rid of all of them this time around but we should be able to make a good start. Monk must have a good idea of which players are at the root of the problem by now.

I don’t know, there may be a bit of that. It’s quite easy though, to note that our set up is better suited to playing away. Most of the apparent no shows appear to be in home games. That could be due to several factors, a lack of quality up front, in games where we are expected to take the game to our opponents, seems the most likely though. 

19 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe, but it smacks of excuses to me. IF that is the case, let them get on with it, there’s plenty for him to be getting on with

Why does Monk need excuses? He’s done a sound job so far, even more so given the situation he inherited.

As for getting on with improving the squad, he can only move as fast as the Chairman allows.

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Honestly, I think having a younger, more vibrant team playing at Hillsborough every other week would pick up the atmosphere a bit. 

Even if they fell short of whatever, I think fans would be much more engaged and tolerant of a younger team playing some better football. 

As it is, we have bunch of vets playing football that would send an insomniac to sleep. 

I suppose that is part on Monk too, but then perhaps he feels this is the best he can do with what is available to him? Pretty sure Swansea didn't hoof it under him. Might be wrong. 

Nor Leeds, although there seems to be mixed feelings amongst their fans. Personally, and it’s only my opinion, I’m hoping it’s a lack of quality front options, that has dictated we play this way. Hopefully, with better post January options, we’ll see a better brand of football

7 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Why does Monk need excuses? He’s done a sound job so far, even more so given the situation he inherited.

As for getting on with improving the squad, he can only move as fast as the Chairman allows.

I've been thinking that while it may be very frustrating for Monk to watch the team knowing he cannot do much to change it, he could see it as a challenge. He's still very young and has many years ahead and if he can steer the ship clear, he gets a quite nice mark on his CV. If he cannot prevent the crash, he can just shrug his shoulders and say that it was an impossible task anyway. And walk off to the sunset with a nice amount of money in his pockets.

For the most part, I think Monk has done a good job. 

Bar Bruce, I doubt there were too other people available who could have come in and produced some of the results he has. 

Unfortunately, I think he's finding out the hard way now why these players haven't produced the goods for the last few seasons. 

20 hours ago, 0114 said:

Fox

Lee

Pelupessy

Fletcher

Winnall

Nuhiu

Hutchinson

Dawson

Forestieri

Dawson, Fox, Hutchinson, Nuhiu and Fletcher are match day regulars and should be considered for new contracts. Out of those five, I think the toughest decision is whether to retain Hutchinson and Fletcher given their injury records. Contracts for the other three. 

52 minutes ago, prowl said:

Exactly. 

Carlos, Luhukay,  Bullen 3 times, Bruce and Monk have been in and we're round about the same place. 

It's something deeper than just a bloke picking a team.