Big Job- Change required

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

I suppose that is part on Monk too, but then perhaps he feels this is the best he can do with what is available to him? Pretty sure Swansea didn't hoof it under him. Might be wrong. 

Whilst at Swansea Monk’s tactical philosophy was keeping hold of possession and cautiously building from the back. With a three point midfield in a 4-3-3, the 3 often rotate around each other creating gaps and space to play passes out to the two wingers. In the course of this season, the two wingers , both coming with bags of pace and directness in running at the opposing full-backs. The central midfield rotation usually evolves around having one man on his own, with the other two either in front or behind. 

However.....

different at Birmingham.

With the team in danger of relegation, he led them to five wins out of the eleven matches remaining to save them from the drop.

Monk said  he would be "relentless" in raising the mentality throughout the club, and "whoever is not on board with that won't be here."

He excluded several players, including both senior goalkeepers, from consideration for the 2018–19 first team. 

Despite a 9 point deduction and a hampered transfer summer because of EFL restrictions Monk finished the season 17th.

Xuandong Ren announced he was dissatisfied with Monk's playing style. Monk said Ren knew nothing about football.

Birmingham made comment on his exit about his style of football not being what they were after, wanting a more continental possession based, nice looking aesthetic game. 

Monk himself has offered comment on this perceived shift to a high tempo high pressing style...

"Of course, I want us to play good attacking football. But you also have to play to your strengths. To your players strengths. In the long term of course you have a way you want to play, attractive possession football  but in the short term to ensure you get to the long term then you have to get results by getting the best from the players you have. A platform. That's football.

Garry Monk 2018

• Thanks 2

The wait till the summer mentality for me is completely wrong. We have shown in every single transfer window we have no planning for future players.

if we did we would not be scrabbling around at the end of the window hoping someone loans us a player they don't need.

We need wholesale changes to the team, but we also need wholesale changes to the set up of the club. 

Everything currently is planned that if we are not promoted we are screwed, if we don't sign up for silly club offers it will affect the clubs investment in the squad and players and so on.

Where is the club planning for the future- where is the investment in the clubs infrastructure getting the right coaches and people in to make the youth development actual work and develop players. Where is the investment in the none match day activities such as the merchandising, the conference facilities, the activities for the local area to get the club moving forward.

I like what Monk has to say but it is kind of stating the bleeding obvious, I just cannot see any other planning by the club other than poo or bust. What if we don't get promoted this season what plans are in place to make sure we can challenge next year. 

DC need to start running us as viable business or get people in who can.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

One of the main items that needs addressing is the expectation of the fans.

Too much pressure is put on the players and coaches to perform at the level the fans expect in a short time.

I agree with that.  I think most recognise this is an upper med table team.

However,  the other side of the coin is the cost of watching that team.

Rightly or wrongly , people pay more they expect more.

On 22/01/2020 at 13:43, George said:

Thanks.

Some big wages to come off the bill then. 

For me they could all go.

Lee is the best player we have had since Sir Des but is he going to get back to it?

Fox has been decent of late but one suspects we can do better.

Joey is not quite up to it.

Fletch has been fantastic but is jolly expensive and not getting any younger. Maybe one more year.

Winnall needs a new club. He will score a poo load for them and good luck to him but it hasn't worked out here.

I love big Dave. But I think his time would be better spent elsewhere.

Hutch can go for me. Hasn't been at the races this year or last. Dining out on the form of a few years ago.

Dawson I would like to keep.

FF is a cheeky monkey.

FF  should have been out after he spat his dummy out. 

On 22/01/2020 at 13:38, 0114 said:

Fox

Lee

Pelupessy

Fletcher

Winnall

Nuhiu

Hutchinson

Dawson

Forestieri

Dawson and that’s about it - I am quite loyal to our players, but we need a total refresh and a new set of players eager to fight for this club.