Will monk have the gonads to

Think after today, Monk will stick to a midfield 3, particularly away from home, although goals may be hard to come by and could see us then repeating the cycle back to 442 to chase goals a few games down the line.

Agree with the sentiment of keeping the shirt, but even the most pragmatic must appreciate Bannam is our best player and will probably come back into the team. 

However, he needs more discipline in his game positionally, not to drop too deep.

As the fulcrum of the team when he plays, he draws the others deeper with him, leaving the centre forward isolated at times. He needs to trust others to do their jobs, not go chasing the ball and make space to receive the ball in order to be positive in the opposition half, not his own. 

Think Bannan and Luongo are first choice starters when fit. Then depends on tactics whether Joey or Kieren Lee plays.

Personally I'd go with Joey breaking up play with Bannan and Luongo further forward with starting positions in the opposition half.

Edited by striker

On 01/01/2020 at 10:26, Ronnie Starling said:

I was thinking the big games that really count like the play off final and derby where he went hiding along with the others. He didn't exactly stand out in the play off semis against Huddersfield did he? A vastly overrated player that has spent more time on the physios bench than being in the pitch. 

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The gonads to not pick Bannan, Lees and Hutchinson?

lolor Lee 

2 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Stick to today's formation and midfield 3 , because if I was one of that midfield today and was dropped for one of the untouchable duo next league game I'd be livid. I've got form for revving up against how Bannan and hutch play and hold us back but today's performance was outstanding, doing different stuff, pressing, fighting for each other. Outstanding today and after the last couple of weeks I have my faith back. 

There's a lot in what you say here.

The main thing I liked about today was we didn't just close up shop and invite them on after we scored, reason for so many late losses.

For me, BB & Hutch play too deep and today we basically kept pushing and took the game to them for 94 minutes.

7 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

lolor Lee 

On 01/01/2020 at 09:58, Ronnie Starling said:

Lee won't get to the fitness levels expected and we need to move him on. Another one who we are told was the bees knees but never did it in the big games when it mattered.

Or this gem 

6 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Or put another way, another four year's of failure. You know what I am getting at. The team today only had Lee from the play off final. No bannan, hutch, Lees, Westwood, palmer, nuhui or FF. Coincidence maybe? 

That's got nothing to do with the fact that Bannan is our most influential midfielder and will almost certainly start against Leeds, as his abilities offer us the best chance of getting a decent result.

It wouldn't be brave to leave him out; it would be counterproductive.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

17 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's got nothing to do with the fact that Bannan is our most influential midfielder and will almost certainly start against Leeds, as his abilities offer us the best chance of getting a decent result.

It wouldn't be brave to leave him out; it would be counterproductive.

Absolutely. 

As an aside, I must say I've been baffled by some of the stick aimed at the absent Bazza......(shakes head). Today showed us there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat, it was no reflection on Bannan's ability. 

7 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

But that would spoil the balance. Joey and Bazza completely different types of player

Surely on £20k per week they must all be able to do the basics of run, tackle and pass between them with different roles positionally, some better than others.... so they should have sufficient ability to make it work? 

2 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

It will be interesting to see. I love Hutch and the wee man but playing both of them is like playing two quarterbacks that never leave their area of the pitch. 

Can anyone educate me why the term

Quarterbacks is used in football? 
thanks 

13 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Stick to today's formation and midfield 3 , because if I was one of that midfield today and was dropped for one of the untouchable duo next league game I'd be livid. I've got form for revving up against how Bannan and hutch play and hold us back but today's performance was outstanding, doing different stuff, pressing, fighting for each other. Outstanding today and after the last couple of weeks I have my faith back. 

If you saw Pelupessy away at Blackburn, you’d never want him

to wear the shirt again. 

If, as seems likely, Fletcher is out it has to be the 4-1-4-1 used at Brighton or 3 central midfielders as some look at it. 

Dawson

Iorfa

Lees

Borner

Fox

Hutchinson (between back 4 and 4 across midfield)

Reach

Luongo

Bannan

Harris

Nuhiu

Like him or not in the absence of Fletcher Nuhiu is the best option playing 1 up top. 

13 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Breath of fresh air after recent results but before I get carried away I would like to see this sort of commitment on a regular basis, its the least the players should give.