Will monk have the gonads to

2 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

Not saying they should be able to play any role as in upfront or in the net. I'm saying they should be able to play CM whether that be a more attacking CM or more defensive. But yes, horrible fans, how dare they demand decent performances and a little flexibility. 

Or maybe it's just unrealistic? Even looking at a lot of the recent modern greats, you wouldn't be asking Busquets to play as an attacking cm, nor would you ask Xavi or Iniesta to play as a dm, just because a player can play one role in the middle doesn't mean they're automatically good at them all, we saw that last year at the beginning of the season when Jos tried to have Hutchinson pushing forward from cm

14 hours ago, Morepork said:

Absolutely. 

As an aside, I must say I've been baffled by some of the stick aimed at the absent Bazza......(shakes head). Today showed us there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat, it was no reflection on Bannan's ability. 

Shirley we skinned the seagulls, not the cats  FFS  lol 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, the monk said:

Why is he ? 

He doesnt hold the ball up particularly well ,hes immobile, he gives away free kicks for fun ,he cant jump  and he doesnt score .

What does he do ?

Why is he?

Well it’s quite simple. As a lone striker he’s better than Winnall and Rhodes. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

It’s interesting that nobody wants our captain in when he has been named in the team of the month in the Championship. I understand it’s a tough decision as we have 3 excellent centre backs but it seems some people go by the name rather than what they see. For me this is a bigger decision than who plays in midfield which for me is easy. Bannan and Luongo. If we need a third, Hutch or Lee depending on tactics. That is an easy decision.

40 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Affecting the opposition

Would you care to tell me what Winnall and Rhodes playing as lone strikers would bring?

At least Winnall is prepared to get involved physically and let the centre half’s know he is going to be a pest and not get bullied 

15 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

At least Winnall is prepared to get involved physically and let the centre half’s know he is going to be a pest and not get bullied 

So you’re saying Nuhiu gets bullied? Seriously?

Winnall was a lower end Champ/League One player before he had the injuries. Rhodes looks like a man mentally and physically a shadow of his former self. Why anyone would think these two are a better option than Nuhiu for all his obvious limitations as a lone striker is beyond me.

I’ll let the stats do my talking instead. Seems to have touched a nerve with a few people here for even suggesting Nuhiu should start in the absence of Fletcher.

Full seasons and this season to date when Nuhiu, Rhodes and Winnall have played for us.

Nuhiu 3792 minutes 17 goals 1 goal every 223 minutes

Rhodes 2059 minutes 8 goals 1 goal every 257 minutes

Winnall 650 minutes 2 goals 1 goal every 325 minutes

On 05/01/2020 at 06:24, jrh said:

I'd play with Bannan, Lee and Luongo. Yes none of them may be the stereotypical sitting defender that people obsess about but I think they would be the best 3. They all have great engines and are intelligent footballers who can make interceptions or nick the ball from the opponents and then actually keep it and make forward thinking passes to help create and get amongst the goals. 

If Palmer is still injured, I wouldn't be against seeing Hutchinson deployed at right back either. 

Not a bad shout, Luongo ostensibly at the bottom of the 3

Hutchinson isn't the problem for me. He's a much better player than Joey and can do that role a lot better. The problem is the partnership beyond that. I was very impressed by Lee and Luongo but I don't think Monk would leave out Bannan for these two. I reckon he'll drop Lee to the bench for Leeds.

It will be interesting to see how we set up against Leeds. Their weakness is teams that press them high up the pitch and counter quickly, something I haven't seen us do since the first game of the season. Picking who replaces Fletcher up front (if injured) is like asking me to name my favourite solicitor. 

2 hours ago, OasisOwl72 said:

So you’re saying Nuhiu gets bullied? Seriously?

Winnall was a lower end Champ/League One player before he had the injuries. Rhodes looks like a man mentally and physically a shadow of his former self. Why anyone would think these two are a better option than Nuhiu for all his obvious limitations as a lone striker is beyond me.

I’ll let the stats do my talking instead. Seems to have touched a nerve with a few people here for even suggesting Nuhiu should start in the absence of Fletcher.

Full seasons and this season to date when Nuhiu, Rhodes and Winnall have played for us.

Nuhiu 3792 minutes 17 goals 1 goal every 223 minutes

Rhodes 2059 minutes 8 goals 1 goal every 257 minutes

Winnall 650 minutes 2 goals 1 goal every 325 minutes

What about his record with Barnsley and Derby before he got injured? 
Stats are great 

11 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

What about his record with Barnsley and Derby before he got injured? 
Stats are great 

I said for us and when all on a level as in playing for us at the same time. 

Yes stats are great and have completely destroyed your argument. 

On 04/01/2020 at 23:11, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's not about 'gonads'; it's about picking the team which gives us the best chance of beating Leeds.

For my money, Bannan will be a part of that.

Thankfully Monk agreed with me and had the 'gonads' to start Bannan against Leeds.

Great ball from him to set us on our way to our second goal, too.

:duntmatter: