Westwood

Excellent goalie, decent bloke, very very strange sportsperson (even by their reliably bonkers standards)

the ins and outs of attitudes and pain thresholds are largely hearsay and opinion; the only pertinent fact is he costs us too much to not be playing - if he’s not starting and performing to a high level on a big contract, he’s got to take a hefty cut or go at the next opportunity.

Edited by Mr. Tom

1 minute ago, markowl said:

Two defeats and suddenly all the wrist slitters and shít stirrers are out in force.

I think that this has more to do with the future of the club, not because of 2 defeats. Players looking for one last lucrative payday to sit in the stands has played a huge part in the reason we are in this FFP malarkey.

• Like 1

Just now, Johnny Concrete said:

I think that this has more to do with the future of the club, not because of 2 defeats. Players looking for one last lucrative payday to sit in the stands has played a huge part in the reason we are in this FFP malarkey.

Yet this time last year this site was in uproar because Westwood wasn't playing.

The shít stirrers will always find an angle.

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

He's symbolic of our overpaid failures.

No mental strength. Lost the shirt on form, and instead of trying to win it back, takes the easier option.

Pathetic.

Whatever his current mindset and situation, there is no way any sensible football fan could class Westwood as a failure.

Retract your comment at once sir lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Spookone said:

Whatever his current mindset and situation, there is no way any sensible football fan could class Westwood as a failure.

Retract your comment at once sir lol

To be fair to Westy I don't class him as a failure in isolation.

He's part of a group of 5 or 6 players that have failed in the play offs twice, been here too long, and been paid far too much.

They need breaking up. They've had a fair crack.

2 minutes ago, markowl said:

Yet this time last year this site was in uproar because Westwood wasn't playing.

The shít stirrers will always find an angle.

Think that's more to do with the fact at the time we were looking at a possible relegation fight fella. Experience was key at that stage. Its not to discredit Westwood, for me he's been a great servant to the club, won us many points on his performances alone. But at this stage and at his age, if he's not going to play then surely we need to say thank you and goodbye. We've got tread extremely carefully financial wise, so surely from a business point of view it would be best getting the high earners/not regular starters off the books? I will admit I haven't been Dawson's biggest fan over the years but he has certainly improved his game and definitely looks our future number 1.

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

He has history.

Pulled a sicky with Ireland if he wasn't guaranteed a start regularly, until they got bored with his shenanigans and stopped picking him.

he has for 4-5 years been getting lots of knocks and injuries ,ive seen him come off loads of times ,he has never been a 46 games a season keeper even though most time a keeper just stands around . he liked his Ireland trips/hols heard him say so ,he enjoys that and paid handsomely too , Ireland(mick McCarthy ) rightly have got fed up with him pulling out of nearly every squad so they now look elsewhere.  if we can get a small fee and lose his wages it might be best for both parties , he was superb 2nd half of last season mainly getting defence organised . this season he has made more errors than any player in the league and had to be dropped . the reason we are now conceding so many is not dawson its our shaky defence. 

2 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Monk confirms injury is being dictated by him and his pain threshold.

Is this a case of he’s being sold in January - or a case of him not wanting to sit on bench and pushing a move out himself? 

I find it quite hard to believe he has an injury as he’s dropped from side and Monk is clear in the media that Westwood has judged for himself - and not ‘we’re assessing him’ etc they usually say when a player has an injury

I think he has spat his dummy out .

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

he has for 4-5 years been getting lots of knocks and injuries ,ive seen him come off loads of times ,he has never been a 46 games a season keeper even though most time a keeper just stands around . he liked his Ireland trips/hols heard him say so ,he enjoys that and paid handsomely too , Ireland(mick McCarthy ) rightly have got fed up with him pulling out of nearly every squad so they now look elsewhere.  if we can get a small fee and lose his wages it might be best for both parties , he was superb 2nd half of last season mainly getting defence organised . this season he has made more errors than any player in the league and had to be dropped . the reason we are now conceding so many is not dawson its our shaky defence. 

No issues with him as a keeper. One of his biggest fans.

He lost the shirt on form though, and his usual sicky pulling is an insult to the fans paying a fortune to watch us, while he earns a fortune to sit at home.

It's not on.

5 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

To be fair to Westy I don't class him as a failure in isolation.

He's part of a group of 5 or 6 players that have failed in the play offs twice, been here too long, and been paid far too much.

They need breaking up. They've had a fair crack.

Now that I agree with lol fresh blue and white blood is required 

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Imo the defence have looked less confident since he hasn’t been playing. I like Dawson though and think he will be a very good keeper for us. 

Since Tom Lees has come back in...

Borner and Iorfa worked well together, I think Monk will revert back. 

Guest LondonOwl313
27 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The responses in this thread are typical of our last couple years, sentimental fans who hold an opinion of a player for what he did years ago. 

Westwood needs to be shown the door ASAP. His wages are astronomical and his attitude stinks. 

I was just thinking the opposite.. lots of people talking about how much he earns when we don’t know how much he earns. How do we know he didn’t take a pay cut in the summer.. nothing was disclosed and it dragged on a while suggesting there was some haggling going on.. the fact he got a 2 year deal maybe suggests he’s on less than before. 2 years rather than 1 as a sweetener to accept wage drop?

Also everyone speculating he won’t sit on the bench or that he’s got a bad attitude. How do we know that.. he’s always furiously denied that he’s ever either refused to train or not play on both social media and in interviews. It seems to p*ss him off a lot when people say that

As for people saying he’s not a winner.. must not watch the same games as me. He’s one of the biggest leaders at the club. Played fantastic last season for 6 months and fully deserved a new contract. Had a poor run of form this season but it happens.. it’s only 6 months since he was the best keeper in the league, not years ago as you’re saying

Dawson’s shirt on merit but no idea why everyone bashes Westwood. Best keeper we’ve had in the 30 years I’ve been watching

Guest Willow Owl
5 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Since Tom Lees has come back in...

Borner and Iorfa worked well together, I think Monk will revert back. 

Iorfa has had a shocker last few games. Think you might find we go back to Borner left side, Lees right side as at start of season.

Lees is having to play left side CB which is not his natural side, and is a far stronger defender IMO