Lord Bannan of Hillsborough

In the midst of 2 poor results one player stands out for me. Bannan. Pound for pound, ironically, our best signing for 20 years. 

Never hides, rarely injured. Drives the team on? connects with the crowd. Everything goes through him. Teams try and mark him out of the game, never works. Takes corners, most free kicks even penalties. 

Great player and one that will fully deserve to be in a future hall of fame. 

Guest Bulgaria
Just now, vulva said:

In the midst of 2 poor results one player stands out for me. Bannan. Pound for pound, ironically, our best signing for 20 years. 

Never hides, rarely injured. Drives the team on? connects with the crowd. Everything goes through him. Teams try and mark him out of the game, never works. Takes corners, most free kicks even penalties. 

Hard to argue with that.

One of our problems is that everything goes through him....we are so pathetically sub subservient to him demanding the ball especially in situations where he shouldn’t be asking for it never mind getting it......the opposition know what our plan is....give it to Bannan at all costs, bang a glory ball forward and hope it comes off.

we need other options and players to grow a pair and give it Bannan when it’s the best option, not every time he demands it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Agree that he is our most effective player and probably first name on the team sheet but, whether this is his fault or down to static teammates, play seems to slow down when he gets on the ball. Not necessarily always a bad thing but we would benefit from moving the ball a lot shorter and quicker sometimes.

1 minute ago, Ian said:

One of our problems is that everything goes through him....we are so pathetically sub subservient to him demanding the ball especially in situations where he shouldn’t be asking for it never mind getting it......the opposition know what our plan is....give it to Bannan at all costs, bang a glory ball forward and hope it comes off.

we need other options and players to grow a pair and give it Bannan when it’s the best option, not every time he demands it

Everything has to go through him as we lack any other really credible creative force who can pick a killer pass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pj owl said:

Everything has to go through him as we lack any other really credible creative force who can pick a killer pass.

Hutchinson and Luongo are just as good as Bannan, they just have so many less opportunities 

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

So much this. Not his fault - but Monk (or anyone else) must get us playing with more options. This, in turn, will make Bannan more effective.

• Like 1

Guest LittleG
10 minutes ago, vulva said:

I fully agree yet some posters still think he is not worth his place in the team.

Love Bannan and think hes massively talented at this level. I also agree with parts of what @Ian said too. Teams know that if you shut Bannan down, you pretty much shut Wednesday down. 

Would love to see him further up the pitch for us and in areas where the pass is 5 yards and clever instead of needing to be 35 yards and clever.  Failing that, get him next to 2 absolute box to box midfielders and he can sit deep all season long for me then. 

Edited by OwlinOldham
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

He’s our Bazza for sure but no where near the best playmaker in the Championship 

Who’s better? Sawyers was the stand out player prior to the end of October but he’s gone off recently. Philips is a good defensive midfielder but not a playmaker. 

One other thing as well, we often play with 2 central midfielders against opposition who play with a 3 and he still dictates most games. 

Can you give me a name ?

Have to disagree. Especially today. Everytime he got the ball it was a long hopeful punt towards Win-fizz-all against 2 6'7" centre halves.  

And he did it again and again and again when it was obvious it wouldn't work. He's not an intelligent footballer. Not convinced he can change his game,  and frequently too slow to release the ball.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Our best player without a doubt but when he drops deep he is ineffective. And he keeps doing it. 

im sure he doesn’t trust the rest of the team, he wants to take every set piece no matter where it is, I think he would take goalkicks if we let him. 

he needs to do what he does best get on the ball and stride forward not drop back i to his own half and edge of our own box. 

He picks the ball up deep when Hutch is next to him because he has to. Hutch plays so deep, Bannan has to come and collect the ball. 

Against Bristol and Forest with Luongo alongside him, Bannan played in the areas of the pitch where he can hurt teams. I love Hutch as a player but the system and our style of play suffers when he plays central midfield. 

32 minutes ago, Ian said:

The only way it’ll change is if Monk plays him further forward, and that isn’t going to happen. He’s a super player but areas of his game are wasted when he’s having to pull all the strings. Play him to his full potential 

Edited by FreshOwl