Lord Bannan of Hillsborough

Just now, 2roland2 said:

give over man, blami g hutch, bannan doesn’t have to come deep because he does.... was it hitch’s fault he dropped deep when luongo was playing mid week???

Bannan and Luongo are our best midfield pairing. It will get the best out of Bannan and it gives us more creativity in midfield. 

4 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Who’s better? Sawyers was the stand out player prior to the end of October but he’s gone off recently. Philips is a good defensive midfielder but not a playmaker. 

One other thing as well, we often play with 2 central midfielders against opposition who play with a 3 and he still dictates most games. 

Can you give me a name ?

Matheus Pereira

Joe Allen

Romaine Sawyers

Eberechi Eze

John Swift

Kalvin Phillips 

Niclas Elliason

Izzy Brown

Han-Noah Massengo

All the above are as good on the ball as Bazza but (with the exception of Swift) have greater athleticism. They are also “braver” than Bazza by which I mean they want the balm in tight areas in the attacking 3rd

This is not a criticism of Bazza. I’m a big fan He can be one of our most effective players but, as with many of our squad is no better than good championship level. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Matheus Pereira 

Joe Allen

Romaine Sawyers

Eberechi Eze

John Swift

Kalvin Phillips 

Niclas Elliason

Izzy Brown

Han-Noah Massengo

All the above are as good on the ball as Bazza but (with the exception of Swift) have greater athleticism. They are also “braver” than Bazza by which I mean they want the balm in tight areas in the attacking 3rd

This is not a criticism of Bazza. I’m a big fan He can be one of our most effective players but, as with many of our squad is no better than good championship level. 

Out of that list, only two or three are better than Bannan and even that is debatable. 

John Swift? 

Come off it. 

3 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Matheus Pereira

Joe Allen

Romaine Sawyers

Eberechi Eze

John Swift

Kalvin Phillips 

Niclas Elliason

Izzy Brown

Han-Noah Massengo

WTF:

• Haha 4

Agree on the whole but he needs to stop the pointing and waving and stomping his little feet at everyone else, especially if like today he’s then gonna hoof an easy crossfield ground pass straight into touch and not even hold his hand up for the two lads who chased it. His gobbing off at everyone else any time they mess up is annoying as fizz when he’s having a bit of a Hollywood howler.

Fair play though, he’s the first of our lot any other team would take off us if they could pick one. Never hides either. Works his ‘arris off. Good lad.

Why have one touch on the ball when you can have 6 or 7 and allow the opposition to regroup? Bannan takes me back to the school playground where he has to take every corner, free kick, penalty and try Hollywood passes which rarely come off. He has some good games but also plenty of poor ones. It's about time other players were given the responsibility to drive the team forward instead of having to look for a pass to Bannan.

Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

Why have one touch on the ball when you can have 6 or 7 and allow the opposition to regroup? Bannan takes me back to the school playground where he has to take every corner, free kick, penalty and try Hollywood passes which rarely come off. He has some good games but also plenty of poor ones. It's about time other players were given the responsibility to drive the team forward instead of having to look for a pass to Bannan.

Why don't some of the other players step up and take responsibility? 

2 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

it didn’t get the best out of bannan v Cardiff, bannan does what he wants, because he is our best player he pretty much just plays how he wants, I very much doubt ( and I’m not monks biggest fan) monk is telling him to drop so deep, for about 4 or 5 games he stopped needing to take every set piece and be the centre of everything and that’s when he was back to his best, he has fallen back into wanting everything g to go through him the past two games. That’s nothing to do with hutch, Lou go or indeed lee if he played. 
i honestly don’t think he trusts anyone else with the ball, meh maybe fletcher. But none of the others. 

Who would you have on set pieces instead of Bannan? Maybe he takes set pieces because he has the best delivery in the squad.

And it’s got to the stage where we are criticising a player for wanting to get on the ball and make things happen. Maybe if some of the other players showed some responsibility we wouldn’t rely on Bannan to do so much. Besides, Harris has added an extra dimension to our attacking play. He’s been less effective recently, but for chunks of this season our tactic has been to give the ball to Harris and see what he can do. Not everything has come through Bannan this season, but when everyone else hides it appears this way purely because Bannan never hides. 

Immense player, lucky to have him. 

Our best player by miles and miles. Only Fletcher coms anywhere near.

He takes our set-pieces because he is so much better at them than anyone else. Have you not seen our other pitiful efforts in recent months?

He doesnt “demand” the ball, others look for him. He’s that good and he’s always available, that he is the obvious ball almost every time.

So lucky to have him. Long may it continue.

I do agree though he’s better with Luongo than with Hutch.

• Like 1

Just now, 2roland2 said:

mix it up harris, reach, Fox, Murphy when he’s on, and obv bannan sometimes. when we did it for the games i mentioned bannan was much more effective. And it’s not just corners it’s free kicks wherever they are, and throw ins  it’s like the guy above said he’s like the school kid with his own ball. 

im not denying his talent I just think sometimes it’s misguided Into thinking he has to permanent have the ball and run the game. 

Reach has never taken a corner or free kick since he’s been at the club. He’s played under 4 managers and has never been given that responsibility, which suggests he’s not confident with them. A left back taking corners and set pieces is ridiculous. Harris has taken a few free kicks this season when on his favoured right side. Murphy took a corner today and it was awful. 

Look Bannan has the most assists for us this season and has done for the past few years. It’s natural for him to take corners and free kicks, when he has shown time and time again he can deliver a ball and pick a pass. 

For the record, I don’t think Bannan is the best at hitting a dead ball. But then I don’t think we really have a quality and consistent set piece taker at the club. Forestieri never plays so he’s probably the best we’ve got. We’ve suffered in that department since we lost Wallace. 

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Our best player by miles and miles. Only Fletcher coms anywhere near.

He takes our set-pieces because he is so much better at them than anyone else. Have you not seen our other pitiful efforts in recent months?

He doesnt “demand” the ball, others look for him. He’s that good and he’s always available, that he is the obvious ball almost every time.

So lucky to have him. Long may it continue.

I do agree though he’s better with Luongo than with Hutch.

Yep he gets the ball because he’s always available for a pass. It’s what, you know, a good midfield player is supposed to do. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Owly Mowly said:

Number of times today, he looked up for that curled ball to the far post, yet his buddy Fletch wasn’t there. 
It’ll be Reyt when the big man is back 

The understanding that him and Fletch have is as good as anything at this level.

29 minutes ago, saf said:

Have to disagree. Especially today. Everytime he got the ball it was a long hopeful punt towards Win-fizz-all against 2 6'7" centre halves.  

And he did it again and again and again when it was obvious it wouldn't work. He's not an intelligent footballer. Not convinced he can change his game,  and frequently too slow to release the ball.

100% Agree 

12 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Out of that list, only two or three are better than Bannan and even that is debatable. 

John Swift? 

Come off it. 

Football about opinions. In my opinion all are better than Bannan. And again, I’m a fan of Bannan and all he has done for this club but I do believe we have our Owls goggles on because he is a club legend.  

Blades, Chelsea, Spurs are linked with Eze.  Villa, Man Utd, Spurs are linked with Philips.

West Ham, Watford with Allen. Swift linked with several Prem clubs and Leeds. 

Even if you don’t value my opinion the fact that several of the players I listed are valued by Prem League managers and scouts must say something. Bazza hasn’t exactly been in demand since he came here because he is a good Championship player, neat and tidy who always gives 100% but not much more.

We will never get promoted with players like bannan in this team 

His score record is abysmal 

His set peices  are 1 good un  then 10 bad ones 

For the best midfielder in the division  I've never heard a single bid come in for him 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

We will never get promoted with players like bannan in this team 

His score record is abysmal 

His set peices  are 1 good un  then 10 bad ones 

For the best midfielder in the division  I've never heard a single bid come in for him 

And there we have it. The reason why wealthy people shouldn’t put any money into football. 

• Haha 1