Lord Bannan of Hillsborough

Listening to some comments in this thread anyone would think Baz  spends 90 minutes playing just in front of the back four 

Yes he comes deep to find space but he is always around the opposites box when we are attacking 

I bet he covers more ground than most on a regular basis 

Guest LondonOwl313
30 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

I think the key to this is that Bannan was a good player with hooper, ff, Wallace, lee, hutch, Westwood, pudil, Lees, jaoa, hunt, lee, in the squad. Its all changed, he's the main man now and It's not quite as good a squad. 

To me the current team isn’t close to being better than the 2016 team. Only Fletcher and possibly the centre backs would be an improvement, the rest are some way worse than what we had then, or the ones that remain aren’t as good as they were

We’re back in the position of needing investment again if we want to start again and it’s not feasible so we carry on with a sticking plaster hoping we’ll get lucky with what we have 

14 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Listening to some comments in this thread anyone would think Baz  spends 90 minutes playing just in front of the back four 

Yes he comes deep to find space but he is always around the opposites box when we are attacking 

I bet he covers more ground than most on a regular basis 

Not doubting his workrate, just that his coming deep sometimes harms us. If he comes deep to get the ball off Hutch whos always deep, theres then technically nobody in central midfield to pass to or to link the forwards to the strikers. This in turn forces the strikers to come deep for the ball. When this happens We are forced then to try play the killer ball instead of through balls ect.

Have said it before, ive no issues with Bannan coming and playing deep if theres 2 box to box types playing beside him and in front of him when he has the ball. Otherwise we end up forcing our own hand at times amd hoping the killer ball comes off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian said:

One of our problems is that everything goes through him....we are so pathetically sub subservient to him demanding the ball especially in situations where he shouldn’t be asking for it never mind getting it......the opposition know what our plan is....give it to Bannan at all costs, bang a glory ball forward and hope it comes off.

we need other options and players to grow a pair and give it Bannan when it’s the best option, not every time he demands it

For once, I agree with you.

Good player, needs bigger players around him.

Bannan and Hutch are crap as a midfield duo.

I can confidently declare he is the worst midfielder in the championship when the opposition have the ball. Of course the opposition always stick 3 on him according to his fans, however if you watch him and his man you will find teams do not need to man mark him. His passing today was terrible, however had we been on sky they would give him the man of the match. 

9 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Gone on about it before. If you've played footy then you have played with or against Barry. Has to have the ball all the time, never makes a mistake, yet quick to blame others. All about him, big fish in a small pool. The reason he is with us and not in the PL is that he does what he wants, doesn't follow instruction and sorry folk's is not quite good enough. 

Barry concentrate on being an attacking midfielder and not Beckenbauer and you and us might make a fist of it. 

Doesn't follow instructions? Based on what? Monk having him as captain would suggest this is rubbish. 

Quick to blame others? You mean being vocal and issuing instructions like you are supposed to do as captain.

Has to have the ball all the time? Surely our best player making himself available and wanting the ball is a good thing.

Never makes a mistake? What do you want him to do? Issue a public apology every time he misplaces a pass?

17 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

When he first came here he was playing further forward / sharing attacking positions with FF, Lee.... Doing some real damage near the opposition’s box. 

If we had a defender who could pass 20 yards it would be easier for Bannan to start further forward and avoid standing on defenders’ toes.

Borner, Iorfa and Fox are comfortable on the ball and can pass the ball 20 yards. TBH I’d be disappointed if any professional footballer can’t consistently pass the 20 yards. I coach a team of amateur U21S and they all can.

Hutchinson and Luongo are perfectly capable of receiving the ball from the defence and feeding it further forward. 

The problem with Bannan is that when he drops deep he takes up the space that Hutch or Luongo should be filling. In that position we have no one further forward between the lines where he should be and where he can cause more damage. 

19 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Are these the same pundits on sky  who said nuhiu was dominant in air :tango:

BTW its Bannan not Baz  or Bazza 

Let's leave the cringry nicknames to the pigs 

My starting line up for Hull was also meant to be the cringey nickname starting 11...