5 GOALIE’S CALLED PETER

In the early seventies, did we have five goalies in four successive games called Peter?

Grummitt and Springett played in the first two, one got injured and Eustace went in goal. Fox played in the next game and Shilton guested for us in a testimonial.

Have I imagined this or did it happen?

31 minutes ago, Dizzys Dad said:

In the early seventies, did we have five goalies in four successive games called Peter?

Grummitt and Springett played in the first two, one got injured and Eustace went in goal. Fox played in the next game and Shilton guested for us in a testimonial.

Not sure if successive games, but I think you are correct about five Peters in goal.

I believe the testimonial was for Eric Taylor.

Eustace was emergency goalie for Grummit v Burnley.

29 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Not sure if successive games, but I think you are correct about five Peters in goal.

I believe the testimonial was for Eric Taylor.

Eustace was emergency goalie for Grummit v Burnley.

Was that the Leighton James volley from 30+yards that started Match Of The Day for years game ?

WTF:

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

9 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Was that the Leighton James volley from 30+yards that started Match Of The Day for years game ?

WTF:

Cant remember it starting MOTD, but yes, it was a rare appearance on MOTD for a team outside the top flight. And James' volley won it, ending our excellent home start to the season - played 6 won 6. I think it was James that bashed Grummit too, just before half time.

15 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

I thought Shilton played in the net at Bumhole Stain in a County Cup game which we lost 2-0, I think Tony Field scored both, an apt name for a place to find a pig

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

WTF:

I can't remember that one... although I do remember the opening credits that included the Ernie Hunt free kick when Willie Carr flipped the ball up with his heels and Hunt smashed it over the defensive wall into the net. Needless to say, after such a memorable piece skill that was copied by kids in playgrounds around the country, the FA banned it.

7 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

I can't remember that one... although I do remember the opening credits that included the Ernie Hunt free kick when Willie Carr flipped the ball up with his heels and Hunt smashed it over the defensive wall into the net. Needless to say, after such a memorable piece skill that was copied by kids in playgrounds around the country, the FA banned it.

Oh aye 

"Well they dont come much better than that" 

Said Barry.......

methode_times_prod_web_bin_6a8b158a-7583-11e8-a4b0-c06c25e9bae2.png

DLNl66lXoAAWEtx.jpg

Impressive length Ernie had ........

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

It wasn't a legitimate goal anyway. You can't take a free kick with both feet.