Use this International Break

To work on 3-5-2???

Seems to play to all our strengths

Both Iorfa and Borner are more than comfortable bringing the ball out, with Lees to anchor it, would be a very strong unit in theory 

Allows 2 up top but keeps us strong with 3 in midfield 

Harris & Reach wing backs? Both have the work ethic if slightly weak defensively 

Or is it change for changes sake and not worth the trial 

(apologies if this has been brought up)

• Thanks 1

I agree, we need two strikers on the pitch and this formation allows that without compromising our midfield. We have 3 very good centre backs (and depth behind them) and you don’t necessarily have to be a defensive minded player to play wingback so using Harris in this role could work. Also Odubaju is more of a natural wingback ( can also play left I believe?)

I was thinking about this over the weekend.  Odubajo is a ready made wb and Reach can play there at a push.  However, I can't see where Harris would fit in and he's been one of our best players this season.  What ever we do, we need 3 in midfield, we get overrun every time we play with a two.

Just now, savi said:

I would like to see Iorfa used in a 5 man midfield in a 3 5 2.

Lees Borner Thornily

Reach (Iorfa Lee Luongo) Harris

(energy, box to box & aggression) 

Fletcher Forrestieri

Sorry, but that team would get relegated.

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Harris and Reach wing backs? Lawd no, neither can tackle and their positioning is shocking

Plus, which two strikers would it allow us to play?

If one of the midfield 3 is Hutchinson - you can afford to be a bit more attacking out wide 

Fletcher and FF would be my choice 

Tbf, 3-5-2 would give us a bit more insurance in the middle of the park. 

I thought there was quite a lot to admire about our efforts on Saturday and I thought we looked pretty good going forward with Bannan and Lee. The only issue there is it leaves you a bit open. 

Don't see any harm in trying it. 

I think the main issue with us atm is when we look good going forward, we can look a bit shaky defensively. Likewise, when we are looking solid at the back, we can look a bit meh going forward. 

Somehow got to try and find a balance which allows us to keep it relatively tight at the back, but also allows us to create chances and start getting more goals. 

Over to you Garry Monk. 

I'm hoping we'll spend much of the break tutoring defending and taking set plays....and also the mindset - re: closing out a game when we are ahead and imposing ourselves at the start of each game. As others have said, we can cobble together an 11 to play 3-5-2 but don't have the squad depth to sustain that formation through an intensive period of fixtures with injuries and suspensions. 

Could work.

We could have an attacking version and defensive version.

There are lots of positives to the system.

Westwood

Iorfa        Lees        Borner

Odubajo         Hutchinson       Bannan        Harris

Luongo

Fletcher      Forestieri

-------------------------------------------------------

Westwood

Hutchinson

Odubajo      Luongo          Bannan        Fox

Fletcher      Nuhiu

Either way, my concern would always be the wide areas. Would it be a waste of Harris' threat which is mainly attacking?

The other concern would be that when you look when Jos was here, when it clicked in brief spells when he first arrived it looked good. We scored goals etc etc.

It looked quite positive, and though he time here overall was bad, I do think it saved us that year from the free fall we were in. 

When it didn't in the second season we were pinned right back in most weeks and it morphed into a nervous 5-3-2 which invited pressure with no outlet.

It'd be interesting. 

But Monk seems very much the pragmatist. 

He's lamented many times his lack of pre-season to work with the players and have emphasised how his main work so far has been basic drills as a defensive unit. 

That has been in a back 4.

He wouldn't risk undoing that by trying something completely different with even less time to work on it when we're sat seventh in the table and apart from a couple of individual errors of concentration could be sat second or third. Would he? 

Although it’s interesting to discuss other systems, realistically, I think the majority of games will see us field a 4-3-3 set up, or a version of. To be honest, there isn’t a problem with our back line. We have decent options in the back four, plus three decent keepers. Hutchinson, Bannan and Luongo, are a good midfield three, although we need a bit of cover there. Bannan and Luongo can pick a pass, if, and it’s a big if, there is anyone showing for it. Which brings me to the problem area, the front 3. 

This is where some tough decisions will need to be made. Individually most of our options there have merit. Possibilities out wide, offer pace (Harris and Murphy) strong running and long range shooting (Reach) plus cleverness and guile (Forestieri) 

Leading the line, Fletcher and Nuhiu give you strength and an aerial threat. There is a glaring lack of goals though, and no permutations seems to successfully address that. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Although it’s interesting to discuss other systems, realistically, I think the majority of games will see us field a 4-3-3 set up, or a version of. To be honest, there isn’t a problem with our back line. We have decent options in the back four, plus three decent keepers. Hutchinson, Bannan and Luongo, are a good midfield three, although we need a bit of cover there. Bannan and Luongo can pick a pass, if, and it’s a big if, there is anyone showing for it. Which brings me to the problem area, the front 3. 

This is where some tough decisions will need to be made. Individually most of our options there have merit. Possibilities out wide, offer pace (Harris and Murphy) strong running and long range shooting (Reach) plus cleverness and guile (Forestieri) 

Leading the line, Fletcher and Nuhiu give you strength and an aerial threat. There is a glaring lack of goals though, and no permutations seems to successfully address that. 

And thus is the problem. (Very good post). We need new strikers. and this is not a neg at any of them but there is just not enough goals in them. Fletcher Nuhiu Rhodes and Winnall all can go (at a push id keep Nuhiu for his game changing off the bench) and bring in 2 new ones.

As for 352 I'm not against it but no way could we play Harris Wing back. Myself if I was to play it id go:

Westwood

Odubajo         Hutchinson       Luongo        Reach

Forestieri

Fletcher      Nuhiu

What we need to make 433 work is a threat on the RHS. Reach has been ineffective all season and so has Murphy. On Saturday they both had fire in their bellies and looked a threat. Hopefully both cone into a bit of form id not try Odubajo and see what he offers going forward/

If we have a threat on the right it could stop teams bing able to press Harris, At least it makes them use more cover wide and leaves gaps inside.

I don't think we are far away with 433 if everyone plays to the best of their ability.