Adam Reach

Never understand the 'he puts in a shift' statement as a way of defending someone's performance.

Honestly, if that's the only expectation at Sheffield Wednesday id like to apply for a position in the starting 11. I'll accept 5k a week. I'll run myself into the ground for the full 90mins I can guarantee you that. I can't pass, shoot, dribble or tackle but I'll 'put a shift in'.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Been saying for years now we've too few players with that real winners attitude. Real desire and determination, you get it from hutch n Fletch, but far too many especially reach just Coast along in a game and "see how it pans out". 

We've been signing nice neat tidy footballers for the last 4 years. 

If you want to win things you need to create a balance not just in playing style and skills, but mentally top. 

That's why the mob from down the road whent up last year, they had a good balance. They had a bit of pace, some experienced heads, some skill, some gnarly warriors capable of digging in and leaders our on the pitch. 

Well never go up until we start building a side that's also balanced in attitude as well. 

This 100%

On 02/11/2019 at 17:58, Stoop said:

He works hard, never stops running, but as an attacking threat he’s been pretty woeful this year

True he does work hard and never stops running but it's all ineffectual, just running about like a headless chicken and also cannot tackle, very nesh!

Sorry but he's had plenty of chances, time to move on.

53 minutes ago, Mus said:

True he does work hard and never stops running but it's all ineffectual, just running about like a headless chicken and also cannot tackle, very nesh!

Sorry but he's had plenty of chances, time to move on.

I think managers like him because he’s very disciplined and allows us to keep shape very well. Many wide players go walkabout and go napping during games. Reach never does this

His form is a worry though

On 02/11/2019 at 17:45, S72 Owl said:

Think it’s time we saw FF on the Left and Harris on the Right.

I doubt that will happen. FF is unreliable in covering the full back. He does it really well then goes missing.

Monk is making us hard to beat. FFis too risky for 90 minutes.

I wish it were otherwise but FF isn't a great striker as things stand and he isn't defensive minded enough as a winger. I'm not disputing that he can win a game with one flash of brilliance, we all know he can

I really wish we could turn the clock back to that first season. I really miss the Fessi we had then.

• Like 2

Guest wilyfox

It's a shame. His stats were improving year on year since he joined, but now he's regressing. I always felt his game would suffer from a lack of pace as he isn't the most skilful dribbler in 1v1s. When the worldies were flying in, attoned for those weaknesses somewhat. Ain't happening now though. 

'Jacob Murphy was only on the pitch 20 minutes against Blackburn and touched the ball 16 times, only seven fewer than what Adam Reach did in 70.' Dom howson

23 touches, 1 touch every 3 mins for a front 3 player and 1 goal in 15, so sadly don't think he'll ever offer enough in final 3rd.

A front 3 player of an aspiring top 6 side needs to do more than run about getting in the way, maybe he could come on for ff or harris with murphy coming on for the other to keep it fresh, or come on for/rotate with luongo to cover ground in the middle?

I like Reach and have always stuck up for him...

But he has been realy poor this season. 

Just offer nothing going forward. His first touch is awful, he has zero confidence when running at the opposition. 

If you are going to play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 system then your wide players have got to offer something going forward. At the moment, Adam Reach is not doing that. 

He's lucky that Murphy (Saturday's goal aside) has been nothing short of woeful. 

He reminds me a bit of when Brunt was at Wednesday. Capable of scoring a worldie, turning a game and playing a blinder, yet a lot of the time looked lazy, incosistent and uninterested. That was until he was coached properly and taught to put his foot on the ball, look up and deliver into the right areas..... then Brunts value sky rocketed.

It feels like Reach has needed that extra bit of coaching to make him capable and believe that he can take on his man. That bit of help to pick out the final pass or deliver the cross into the right areas.Lean when to pass or when to shoot.

The thing that frustrates me with Reach is that he always looks capable, shows flashes of brilliance.... but then other times doesnt look interested unless the ball is played perfectly to his feet, looks scared to make a challenge...... And when he loses the ball and just stands looking at the sky instead of trying to win the ball back like a Bannan would..... that really frustrates me!

Saturday was probably the worst game I have seen him have for us.

He was rightly subbed and could have been taken off at half time.

He doesn’t seem to want the ball , certainly never shows for throw ins , struggling to control the ball and totally lacking in will/ confidence/ ability to go forward when he does get it.

Think for his and the teams sake he needs leaving out.

3 hours ago, Miffed said:

He reminds me a bit of when Brunt was at Wednesday. Capable of scoring a worldie, turning a game and playing a blinder, yet a lot of the time looked lazy, incosistent and uninterested. That was until he was coached properly and taught to put his foot on the ball, look up and deliver into the right areas..... then Brunts value sky rocketed.

It feels like Reach has needed that extra bit of coaching to make him capable and believe that he can take on his man. That bit of help to pick out the final pass or deliver the cross into the right areas.Lean when to pass or when to shoot.

The thing that frustrates me with Reach is that he always looks capable, shows flashes of brilliance.... but then other times doesnt look interested unless the ball is played perfectly to his feet, looks scared to make a challenge...... And when he loses the ball and just stands looking at the sky instead of trying to win the ball back like a Bannan would..... that really frustrates me!

Brunt has over 200 appreances in the premier league ,was lethal on set peices and could land a perfect pass 

Reach does none of that

Its a insult to Brunt comparing Reach to him 

Also I'd love to know when Reach last had a 'blinder' ?

Edited by WelshOwl74

16 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Brunt has over 200 appreances in the premier league ,was lethal on set peices and could land a perfect pass 

Reach does none of that

Its a insult to Brunt comparing Reach to him 

Also I'd love to know when Reach last had a 'blinder' ?

Brunt was a target for the Hillsborough boo boys for a while ...... People seem to look back at Brunts time with us with blue and white tinted spectacles. Yes, he was good by the time he left and he was much improved from the player who he was when he first arrived, but lets not pretend that he was a world beater for the entirity of his Wednesday career.

5 hours ago, SiJ said:

I like Reach and have always stuck up for him...

But he has been realy poor this season. 

Just offer nothing going forward. His first touch is awful, he has zero confidence when running at the opposition. 

If you are going to play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 system then your wide players have got to offer something going forward. At the moment, Adam Reach is not doing that. 

He's lucky that Murphy (Saturday's goal aside) has been nothing short of woeful. 

This sums it up. When you look at us going forwards the opposition doubles up on Harris and doesn’t give him any space but they’ll give Reach 10 yards because he doesn’t offer the same threat.  To be fair he covers back but as a third forward player he’s on the pitch to score or create and this season he’s not done enough of either. 

Agree that Reach flatters to deceive at times. But also agree that he seems to get an inordinate amount of stick. Not like others are massively out-performing him:

Involvement in goals (goals & assists, league only):

This season

6 - Steven Fletcher

4 - Adam Reach

4 - Kadeem Harris

3 - Barry Bannan

2 - Jacob Murphy

2 - Massimo Luongo

2 - Sam Hutchinson

2 - Atdhe Nuhiu

1 - Lee, Palmer, Iorfa, Winnall, João, Börner

Last Season

16 - Barry Bannan

15 - Adam Reach

13 - Steven Fletcher

12 - Lucas João

8 - Marco Matias

7 - Fernando Forestieri

6 - Atdhe Nuhiu

4 - Dominic Iorfa

4 - Tom Lees

3 - Boyd, Onomah, Fox

2 - Aarons, Hector, Hooper, Pelupessy

1 - Dawson, Pudil, Penney

2017/18 Season

16 - Atdhe Nuhiu

15 - Adam Reach

13 - Gary Hooper

12 - Lucas João

6 - Jordan Rhodes

5 - Fernando Forestieri

4 - Kieran Lee

4 - Ross Wallace

4 - Jack Hunt

3 - Fletcher, Bannan

2 - Boyd, Jones, Pelupessy, Lees, Palmer

1 - Venâncio, Winnall, Clare, Pudil, Butterfield, Fox

2016/17 Season

17 - Fernando Forestieri

13 - Steven Fletcher

11 - Ross Wallace

9 - Gary Hooper

9 - Barry Bannan

7 - Adam Reach

6 - Kieran Lee

4 - Jordan Rhodes

4 - Sam Winnall

4 - Daniel Pudil

3 - Hutchinson, 

2 - Sasso, McManaman, Jones, Hunt

1 - Abdi, Loovens, Fox, Lees, João

He’s not crap, but he’s a squad player and shouldn’t be playing regularly His stats this season are nothing to write home about, 1 goal 4 assists. He’s on course for 3 goals by the end of the season, if he carries on like this That’s nowhere near enough for one of the front three