Adam Reach

5 hours ago, Stoop said:

Instead of waiting for him come good, maybe it’s time to accept that he’s not as good as we think he is

No major slight in him. He’s still a decent player, but he was touted as a £20m player a year ago

Only on here!!

If players in our league are any good they get snapped up by premier league clubs 

The stats look good because over the last 2 or 3 seasons he has spent far more time on the pitch than anybody else.

This is of course a good thing but when he is shown with a better rate than Joao and Hooper for example that is down to minutes played rather than his potency.

However , ignoring the history, at the moment I reckon he is going through his worst spell in terms of performance since he has been here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The stats look good because over the last 2 or 3 seasons he has spent far more time on the pitch than anybody else.

This is of course a good thing but when he is shown with a better rate than Joao and Hooper for example that is down to minutes played rather than his potency.

However , ignoring the history, at the moment I reckon he is going through his worst spell in terms of performance since he has been here.

This is true of course, but the flipside of this is that part of being a good player is being available to play the majority of games in a season and fit enough to last 90 minutes.

Abdi was signed about the same time as Reach, and was of course a much better player than he was. But this was of little use to us. Hooper larely falls into this same category too.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

He’s not crap, but he’s a squad player and shouldn’t be playing regularly His stats this season are nothing to write home about, 1 goal 4 assists. He’s on course for 3 goals by the end of the season, if he carries on like this That’s nowhere near enough for one of the front three

I agree with you to a point, but if Reach doesn’t play regularly then who does?  If we could guarantee the 2016/17 model then I’d go with Forestieri every time, with Harris and Reach competing for wide right position.  With 2019/20 version of FF I remain to be convinced he should be a regular.

1 minute ago, Steve Down South said:

I agree with you to a point, but if Reach doesn’t play regularly then who does?  If we could guarantee the 2016/17 model then I’d go with Forestieri every time, with Harris and Reach competing for wide right position.  With 2019/20 version of FF I remain to be convinced he should be a regular.

I don’t know, Murphy has disappointed, although his goals per minutes ratio is far superior to Reach’s Haven’t seen enough of Forestieri since he returned Probably the solution is elsewhere, and we’ll have to wait until January

Whatever you think of him as an individual player, having him on the pitch helps results considerably. Our results without him are utterly abysmal. And he can’t take the blame for Saturday, given that he left the field at nil-nil.

That said, it’s clear he’s not at his best.

It is odd.

Harris and Reach have had their moments but nobody could say they are currently anywhere near their best.

Our last four games have been W1. D2. L1. Five points from four games. 

Yet here’s our use of our four wide forwards:

Reach 340 minutes (out of 360)

Harris 320 minutes

Forestieri 49 minutes

Murphy 31 minutes

If Reach and Harris were firing I would understand this, but recently you would imagine the other two would get more opportunity to shine. If Monk doesn’t trust FF and Murphy we’ve a problem in two positions that look strong on paper.

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Their season stats are OK, nothing more. For wide players in a 4-4-2, this might be acceptable, but in a 4-3-3, it certainly isn’t 

Upto and including Fulham, Harris was more effective than Reach. Since Fulham Harris’ influence has waned and Reach has been the better of the two until Saturday.

I think we need to see more of Forestieri, and possibly Murphy, for whichever of the two starters is off the pace. 

My biggest criticism of Reach is that all seemingly 50-50 balls are in fact 18-82 balls in favour of the opposition. For quite a tall player he doesn't win as many headers as he ought and is easily muscled out of it. He also needs to get a foot in when pressing players rather than standing off.

On the ball he is good but unless someone wins it for him he is too often ineffective.

On 02/11/2019 at 19:02, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Reach will play well in a team that are also playing well ..

Dont rely on him to be the brains of the outfit or indeed an Anchorman ...

He has to be led 

He's not a natural.

The rest of the team need to improve 

He's the surfer in the team..

No waves no Reach ..

Shakespeare?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

It is odd.

Harris and Reach have had their moments but nobody could say they are currently anywhere near their best.

Our last four games have been W1. D2. L1. Five points from four games. 

Yet here’s our use of our four wide forwards:

Reach 340 minutes (out of 360)

Harris 320 minutes

Forestieri 49 minutes

Murphy 31 minutes

If Reach and Harris were firing I would understand this, but recently you would imagine the other two would get more opportunity to shine. If Monk doesn’t trust FF and Murphy we’ve a problem in two positions that look strong on paper.

Are you saying drop Harris?

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Upto and including Fulham, Harris was more effective than Reach. Since Fulham Harris’ influence has waned and Reach has been the better of the two until Saturday.

I think we need to see more of Forestieri, and possibly Murphy, for whichever of the two starters is off the pace. 

They both have created or scored 4 each which is a bit low for 15 games, but imo harris takes a fb to byline and puts more crosses in the box than reach because hes more a natural pacy winger. 

Unfortunately theres only ever fletch in there with a cautious 4141, if he can even get there on time, or harris could have more assists than reach.

This despite opps doubling up on harris which creates more space for perceived lesser threats like reach.

Reach is a versatile, solid, reliable player and a good runner but can anyone say what his best position is after all this time?

I'd guess its left midfield in 442 with a proper harris type winger on the right, or lwb in a 343/352, but hes not the flair, pace or technique to be in the front 3 of a top 6 side imo.

Given that hes got 19mths or so contract left if we could get our money back id take it for ffp and sign another harris type winger, no room for sentiment anymore.

Agree ff is worth gambling on for a start soon, be interesting to see what harris could do on the right too, might get more assists with an advanced ff coming in from the left channel.