Prolific striker needed if we are serious about going up

30 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

You reckon we're in a strong position to find someone who not only will do all the graft that Fletcher gives us, but also score appreciably more? He's the best (only?) option we have for this system and will likely remain so until at least next summer. Even then, such a player would not be easy to find because everyone wants one.

I’m not sure what sort of budget we have, we’ll probably have to remedy this with loans. If we are are still in contention come January, yes I’d think we would be in a strong position. We don’t have to be splashing out 10m, we didn’t when we signed Rhodes. We really need a combined 40 goals from our front three, however we do it, and if we get others to chip in, we’re in with a good chance of challenging

There was an article on Pukki on BBC sport and how the Norwich analysts knew they had a bargain when they looked at his goals and impact per minutes rather than goals per game ratio which sometimes a lot of fans get absorbed in.

The question here really is do we have that kind of employee who analyses the data rather than just goes on the recommendation of certain organisations that have got vested interests. 

I honestly don't know but if not I get the feeling we won't bother even looking as the feeling is players who we need would be unaffordable or go for untested pot luck youngsters rather than use an analytical and statistical approach to recruiting those to get us over the line 

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not sure what sort of budget we have, we’ll probably have to remedy this with loans. If we are are still in contention come January, yes I’d think we would be in a strong position. We don’t have to be splashing out 10m, we didn’t when we signed Rhodes. We really need a combined 40 goals from our front three, however we do it, and if we get others to chip in, we’re in with a good chance of challenging

40 from front three....

Here’s where we are after 13 games:-

Fletcher 5

Nuhiu 1

Harris 2

Winnall 1

Reach 1

Murphy 1

Joao 1

12 goals in 13 games so far from our front 3 (or front 4 v QPR, Hull, Boro).

Equates to 42 goals from our forwards. 

As as a team we are on target for 64 goals. That’s plenty if our defence stays so skinny. 

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

40 from front three....

Here’s where we are after 13 games:-

Fletcher 5

Nuhiu 1

Harris 2

Winnall 1

Reach 1

Murphy 1

Joao 1

12 goals in 13 games so far from our front 3 (or front 4 v QPR, Hull, Boro).

Equates to 42 goals from our forwards. 

As as a team we are on target for 64 goals. That’s plenty if our defence stays so skinny. 

Unlikely to be maintained I would think, but if it is, yes we wouldn’t be far off

I think a lot of our hopes for this season rest on FF. If we can keep defending as we are and FF hits the form we saw in his first season, we wont be far away. If we're around the top 6 in January I'd go for Dwight Gayle on loan. 

Just now, gurujuan said:

Unlikely to be maintained I would think, but if it is, yes we wouldn’t be far off

Cor mate there’s glass half full folk, glass half empty folk, and you who can’t find your glass and if you did it would be chipped.

Why won’t it maintain? Harris and Reach get shots off every game. They are going to start going in sometimes. FF is back. He’ll score from this wide roll that suits him to a tee. 

Luongo, Dom and Borner look good for goals. 

Enjoy it. 

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Cor mate there’s glass half full folk, glass half empty folk, and you who can’t find your glass and if you did it would be chipped.

Why won’t it maintain? Harris and Reach get shots off every game. They are going to start going in sometimes. FF is back. He’ll score from this wide roll that suits him to a tee. 

Luongo, Dom and Borner look good for goals. 

Enjoy it. 

Using the same logic, Mitrovic, will get 40 league goals this season Do you think that is likely?

At this rate reach and harris wont make double figures, fletch has never been prolific scoring 11,2,11 last 3 seasons, so agree we need a pacy striker in jan or summer once rhodes and winnall are shifted.

They are expensive so it might be a premier loan, although the top ones in the abrahams mould etc will usually go to promotion favourites.

Think the flick ons and hold up play are a bit overated at times and target men increasingly outdated as a sole option in the faster modern game, tho still a good option against some defences like boro or to bring on against a deep defending team hanging on to a draw or win.

Many cbs in this league are big units who can cope with big strikers but it seems quite a few lack pace tho.

Ff would likely score and contribute more than reach in the final 3rd, but monk may worry about being more open if we are more expansive and will likely just sub harris for him for now, unless his hand is forced and we start blanking in a few games at least.

In past seasons promoted teams seem to score at least 75 goals so a 20+ goal striker can make a big difference

Edited by Ash77

I doubt we could  get a 20 goal striker on loan but with the way monk as set up the team we may not need one ....if you don't concede many (and we don't ) then we should be in with a shout come may …..it may not be pretty but as carlos proved in his second season keeping clean sheets can get you somewhere near . 

Guest everydays_wednesday
2 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Didn't Monkfish manage to get Leeds up there & challenging for months with just Wood up top? He knows how to set a team up to play to one striker. 

Genuine story.....mate spoke to Carlos and asked him if he could buy 1 player for us in the championship it would be Chris Wood. 

The statistics for our midfielders in their time at the club are collectively rather modest...

Kieran Lee              169+27 appearances (27 goals)

Adam Reach           149+7 (21)

Barry Bannan          170+6 (10)

Sam Huitchinson     130+10 (6)

Joey Pelupessy       48+10 (1)

Kadeem Harris        13+2 (2)

Massimo Luongo     5+5 (2)

Jacob Murphy          5+5 (1)

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I doubt we could  get a 20 goal striker on loan but with the way monk as set up the team we may not need one ....if you don't concede many (and we don't ) then we should be in with a shout come may …..it may not be pretty but as carlos proved in his second season keeping clean sheets can get you somewhere near . 

A couple of youngsters on loan from the Premier League, a stand in for Fletcher, and a wide attacker, as opposed to a winger

10 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

I don't disagree, however we don't have a pot to pee in at present and 20+ goals a season strikers don't come cheap.

Borner did!

And, on the flip side Rhodes cost a premium. 

Edited by AwokenGiant