The Pro vs Anti Thread

58 minutes ago, snaykz said:

I think sections of the local media have had a rough ride from our fans at times - Paul Walker and Seth Bennett did a good job of being impartial on Radio Sheffield despite being self-confessed United fans.

But something shifted a few years ago which is hard to ignore.

I remember watching a stream of our match at Villa in November 2017. It was the match where Reach scored a screamer after 16 seconds and we went on to win 2-1, although it should have been more as we completely played Villa off the park that day.

Immediately after the game, I listened to Radio Sheffield to get some reaction. The first caller was a United fan, bleating about how great Leon Clarke was (he'd just scored 4 against a poor Hull side). The second caller was another United fan. The third caller... another United fan. In fairness, this third caller was interrupted... so they could interview Chris Wilder. After putting up with the chavvy bus driver's weird multitude of accents for what seemed like a good 10 minutes, we finally got around to another caller. Yep, a United fan. I turned the radio off.

In the space of about 25 minutes, the only acknowledgement that Wednesday even existed was to read out the score from Villa Park a couple of times. It was beyond ridiculous. I haven't listened to Radio Sheffield since.

With regards to the Star, I really do feel for Dom and the other Wednesday reporters. Nothing comes out of our club, so to have to create relevant content every day of the week is nigh on impossible. But what really leads to the (justifiable) accusations of bias against the Star is, ironically, the impartiality and professionalism of the Wednesday reporters in comparison the the United reporters, Danny Hall and the odious James Shield. These two behave like total fanboys, with Shield in particular responsible for what can only be described as some outrageous pro-United propaganda.

Remember when England were exceeding expectations at last year's World Cup, and we were treated to such delights as 'Southgate takes a leaf out of Chris Wilder's book' (or something along those lines). I appreciate there may not be a lot to write about in the off-season, but that was just one of a string of pathetic articles, designed only to pander to the red half of the city. The fact that the editor of the Star has allowed such different approaches into how it reports on the two clubs will inevitably lead to accusations of bias.

I read on another thread that someone had broached the subject with the editor, who admitted he was a United fan. The Star has become a pig propaganda machine, and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

Whilst ever they are in the premiership they will always be the medias (local mainly) little darlings unfortunately. Giddings is another,  can remember whenever listening to football heaven in the past he would be commentating at the Stain and would be jizzing his pants about how much the blunts were dominating games and how good they were, I would half expect him to start singing that greasy chip butty during a live commentary. Then whenever he was at one of our games he would sound dull as dish water until we were under the cosh and then would sound so excited at the prospect of us possibly conceding. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

We are irrelevant to the mainsteram press due to being out of top flight so long. We were a footnote in the whole Bruce move to Newcastle 

So outside match reports we are no interest

Although Sky do have some good pundits in Kirkland and Prutton who speak well of us.

They fall over themselves to cover stories about our ground. You are correct in saying that our football is irrelevant. The Newcastle debacle showed we are just there as a convenience for the Premier League when it suits them to poach managers or players.

Where were Gullitt and Murphy when Bruce jumped ship? They should have been all over it saying "We told you so before the Chelsea game" lol

Just now, the mighty wednesday said:

They fall over themselves to cover stories about our ground. You are correct in saying that our football is irrelevant. The Newcastle debacle showed we are just there as a convenience for the Premier League when it suits them to poach managers or players.

Where were Gullitt and Murphy when Bruce jumped ship? They should have been all over it saying "We told you so before the Chelsea game" lol

Well if they do stories about our ground they missed the whole SAG chaos.

Any articles about Hillsborough are different... because 96 people died at our ground.

4 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Well if they do stories about our ground they missed the whole SAG chaos.

Any articles about Hillsborough are different... because 96 people died at our ground.

Which is why we need to leave

I love Hillsborough as much as the next man, but the stadium is always going to hold us back

• Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 minute ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Easier said than done.

Even if we wanted to move would FFP not hold us back?

Where would we move to?

I thought FFP had no bearing on ground spend

As for where to move to, that's the difficult part

Wednesdayites that live in Hillsborough will want us to stay in Hillsborough

I don't know if the land down near Monty's Motors is big enough to accommodate a new stadium, it was earmarked for a community project, but that seems to have died a death

Anything around Meadowhall will suffer from gridlock

I suppose we could always ask SAG to chip in for the cost, seeing as its them that's trying to force us out

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, Jakes Grandad said:

The Guardian, more sense from The Beano

The Guardian has traditionally had rather a good stable of sports writers. Cardus and Arlott on cricket the obvious names and then Matthew Engel in pre-Wisden days. David Lacey and Patrick Barclay in the 80s and early 90s, both of whom seemed rather fond of us. I remember Lacey writing after the 93 semi that on our day we were the best team in England. 

The current crop are rather flat but then again football itself has rather lost its way. Conn is different but he is pretty well alone in the mainstream press at getting to grips forensically with football finances. He can follow money and read a set of accounts - and seems to have the patience to do that. Outside of the Private Eye's back pages, that is becoming a lost art

• Like 1

I've said on here many times how much the star & radio sheffield really don't like SWFC and struggle to hide their utter contempt.

Always positivity for the pigs and negativity for us.

This was prevalent when the pigs were league 1 so is nothing to do with their current status.

If they employ blunt fans in general, then the bias is inevitable.

I no longer entertain either,  because their bias became stomach churning. 

National media has all but forgotten we exist, but generally favour our opponents when the opportunity arises.

The events in 1989 continue to taint our clubs reputation unfortunately.  

I think the referees association has a down on us and It can only be it's because of someone in there with a grudge. I know every team gets bad decisions from time to time but no one can explain the sheer consistency of the cràp referees we get unless there is a conspiracy from the top.

1 hour ago, the mighty wednesday said:

Andy Hinchcliffe seems to like to criticise us. Even when he has no choice but to say we did well his praise always seems to come across as particularly faint, almost grudgingly given.

Perhaps we only paid him statutory sick pay when he was injured lol

Agree. Hinchcliffe is a cùnt. He just came to us and picked up his wages and did the bare minimum. No interest in anything but money. 

I turn the the volume down when he comes on, I can’t stand to listen to him.

3 hours ago, snaykz said:

I think sections of the local media have had a rough ride from our fans at times - Paul Walker and Seth Bennett did a good job of being impartial on Radio Sheffield despite being self-confessed United fans.

But something shifted a few years ago which is hard to ignore.

I remember watching a stream of our match at Villa in November 2017. It was the match where Reach scored a screamer after 16 seconds and we went on to win 2-1, although it should have been more as we completely played Villa off the park that day.

Immediately after the game, I listened to Radio Sheffield to get some reaction. The first caller was a United fan, bleating about how great Leon Clarke was (he'd just scored 4 against a poor Hull side). The second caller was another United fan. The third caller... another United fan. In fairness, this third caller was interrupted... so they could interview Chris Wilder. After putting up with the chavvy bus driver's weird multitude of accents for what seemed like a good 10 minutes, we finally got around to another caller. Yep, a United fan. I turned the radio off.

In the space of about 25 minutes, the only acknowledgement that Wednesday even existed was to read out the score from Villa Park a couple of times. It was beyond ridiculous. I haven't listened to Radio Sheffield since.

With regards to the Star, I really do feel for Dom and the other Wednesday reporters. Nothing comes out of our club, so to have to create relevant content every day of the week is nigh on impossible. But what really leads to the (justifiable) accusations of bias against the Star is, ironically, the impartiality and professionalism of the Wednesday reporters in comparison the the United reporters, Danny Hall and the odious James Shield. These two behave like total fanboys, with Shield in particular responsible for what can only be described as some outrageous pro-United propaganda.

Remember when England were exceeding expectations at last year's World Cup, and we were treated to such delights as 'Southgate takes a leaf out of Chris Wilder's book' (or something along those lines). I appreciate there may not be a lot to write about in the off-season, but that was just one of a string of pathetic articles, designed only to pander to the red half of the city. The fact that the editor of the Star has allowed such different approaches into how it reports on the two clubs will inevitably lead to accusations of bias.

I read on another thread that someone had broached the subject with the editor, who admitted he was a United fan. The Star has become a pig propaganda machine, and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

I was going to hit the agree button, snaykz. Then I saw the massive blunder and had to stay my finger. There is NO red HALF of the city, FFS lol 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I was going to hit the agree button, snaykz. Then I saw the massive blunder and had to stay my finger. There is NO red HALF of the city, FFS lol 

Obviously all that propaganda from the Star has had an effect on me!

:ph34r:

• Haha 2