The Pro vs Anti Thread

Some of the comments about The Sheffield Star and other media outlets got me thinking, Which organisations or individuals do our fans perceive to be against the club as a whole. I would be very interested to see what everyone thinks about this and who is the worse offender in the eyes of the wider fan base. I don't mean non entities like that pig who phones Radio Sheffield with COPD to slander us, but people or organisations that carry some gravitas.

I will kick off with David Conn who writes for The Guardian. He never has a good word to say about us that I have seen and it's always harping back to the events in 89. He has in my eyes some sort dislike for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onge said:

I don't think it's healthy to worry about who in the media likes or dislikes us. It doesn't affect my team or my support for them so ultimately, why does it matter anyway?

Just interested in what other fans think that's all.

Peter Beagrie never said a good word about us. But we were sh*te at the time so maybe he had a point. lol

Don't worry about it too much, if you win they kiss your ass, if you lose they will get someone sacked and call crisis. Try to read articles less and less and judge on the games only. The Athletic started ok but just became reactionary like all the other papers.

1 minute ago, tarn owl said:

Peter Beagrie never said a good word about us. But we were sh*te at the time so maybe he had a point. lol

Don't worry about it too much, if you win they kiss your ass, if you lose they will get someone sacked and call crisis. Try to read articles less and less and judge on the games only. The Athletic started ok but just became reactionary like all the other papers.

It's a good job he beat his girlfriend or he'd probably still be spouting his nonsense on Sky now

• Haha 3

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

28 minutes ago, Prince said:

I will kick off with David Conn who writes for The Guardian. He never has a good word to say about us that I have seen and it's always harping back to the events in 89. He has in my eyes some sort dislike for us.

17 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

David Conn is by a country mile the best journalist writing about the business of football in the UK. 

This thread is going well so far then 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Prince said:

Some of the comments about The Sheffield Star and other media outlets got me thinking, Which organisations or individuals do our fans perceive to be against the club as a whole. I would be very interested to see what everyone thinks about this and who is the worse offender in the eyes of the wider fan base. I don't mean non entities like that pig who phones Radio Sheffield with COPD to slander us, but people or organisations that carry some gravitas.

The Guardian, more sense from The Beano

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think sections of the local media have had a rough ride from our fans at times - Paul Walker and Seth Bennett did a good job of being impartial on Radio Sheffield despite being self-confessed United fans.

But something shifted a few years ago which is hard to ignore.

I remember watching a stream of our match at Villa in November 2017. It was the match where Reach scored a screamer after 16 seconds and we went on to win 2-1, although it should have been more as we completely played Villa off the park that day.

Immediately after the game, I listened to Radio Sheffield to get some reaction. The first caller was a United fan, bleating about how great Leon Clarke was (he'd just scored 4 against a poor Hull side). The second caller was another United fan. The third caller... another United fan. In fairness, this third caller was interrupted... so they could interview Chris Wilder. After putting up with the chavvy bus driver's weird multitude of accents for what seemed like a good 10 minutes, we finally got around to another caller. Yep, a United fan. I turned the radio off.

In the space of about 25 minutes, the only acknowledgement that Wednesday even existed was to read out the score from Villa Park a couple of times. It was beyond ridiculous. I haven't listened to Radio Sheffield since.

With regards to the Star, I really do feel for Dom and the other Wednesday reporters. Nothing comes out of our club, so to have to create relevant content every day of the week is nigh on impossible. But what really leads to the (justifiable) accusations of bias against the Star is, ironically, the impartiality and professionalism of the Wednesday reporters in comparison the the United reporters, Danny Hall and the odious James Shield. These two behave like total fanboys, with Shield in particular responsible for what can only be described as some outrageous pro-United propaganda.

Remember when England were exceeding expectations at last year's World Cup, and we were treated to such delights as 'Southgate takes a leaf out of Chris Wilder's book' (or something along those lines). I appreciate there may not be a lot to write about in the off-season, but that was just one of a string of pathetic articles, designed only to pander to the red half of the city. The fact that the editor of the Star has allowed such different approaches into how it reports on the two clubs will inevitably lead to accusations of bias.

I read on another thread that someone had broached the subject with the editor, who admitted he was a United fan. The Star has become a pig propaganda machine, and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

laura Kuenssberg at the bbc has never mentioned us once..I remember one time we won away 3-2 in the last minute I thought to myself well this is it now but nope it's all politics..she needs to take a good look at herself

Don't worry about her if it all Goes wrong for us she'll blame the labour party. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Shouldn't you be The Artist Formerly Known As

Or haven't you gone cuckoo yet

The topic of this thread suggests he has!