Adam reach

16 minutes ago, MAL said:

He has had at least one this season.

Just turned and hit it, it dipped just over the bar onto the netting.

It would have been another reyt goal.

Millwall match @ 2 minutes 40 seconds

Play Lees in Midfield or left wing and see how he gets on, play Fletch at left back or centre mid and see how he gets on, etc etc. Reach is doing a grand job for the team by being flexible and being WILLING to play these roles, when some have refused to play different positions or would get the hump. Needs a full run at left wing to get back to being Reach we know he can be. But to do that he needs to be better than Murphy and Harris. Nice issue to have. Reach is still pivotal for us and needs more backing.

1 hour ago, hugeowl said:

I hope Monk can get him playing because he does not deserve his place at the moment .

I hope he considers him for left back . 

Please F. T. L. O. G no, he can't tackle and isn't great at marking/positional sense or using his strength, he'd make fox look like Stuart peace at lb. lol

He's far more suited out on one of the wings as he really weakens us in cm or as a defender, it's not his game. 

1 hour ago, robowl4life said:

Thats what Carlos ended up doing. I know what you are saying but unless he’s improved, he’s not strong enough defensively to play there. 

Thats the predicament with Reach where do you play him ? 

I dont think anyone can say , thats definitely his best position and his to lose can they ? 

I think a run at left back will make or break him . 

Be interesting to see how Monk handles it , because I dont think he will put up with any passengers . 

Edited by hugeowl
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Play Lees in Midfield or left wing and see how he gets on, play Fletch at left back or centre mid and see how he gets on, etc etc. Reach is doing a grand job for the team by being flexible and being WILLING to play these roles, when some have refused to play different positions or would get the hump. Needs a full run at left wing to get back to being Reach we know he can be. But to do that he needs to be better than Murphy and Harris. Nice issue to have. Reach is still pivotal for us and needs more backing.

Can't agree more bud round pegs in round holes, needs playing on one of the flanks. 

His attitude to play wherever asked is commendable, but his ability to play there weakens us and makes him look terrible. 

Should never be in either cm or lb for me. 

50 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Please F. T. L. O. G no, he can't tackle and isn't great at marking/positional sense or using his strength, he'd make fox look like Stuart peace at lb. lol

He's far more suited out on one of the wings as he really weakens us in cm or as a defender, it's not his game. 

He was doing fine on the left wing, until Jos came in and changed the system meaning we didn't use wingers and Reach and Wallace were shoehorned into midfield, where Reach has pretty much remained ever since. Left wing is by far his best position imo - this season he's only been played there for a short time at Preston and came up with a great cross to assist Fletcher's goal.

He's OK as a makeshift LB/LWB if we're playing a weaker team and he doesn't have to defend much but as you say he couldn't tackle to save his life. He actually made his SWFC debut at LB iirc - the Wednesday Way, spend a club record fee on a winger and play him at full back!

Edited by alanharper
typo
  • Like 1

Guest The Claw
4 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'm wondering weather its a confidence thing or becouse we're playing in cm,but seemed to stop having those long range cracks on goal once Bruce took over and while bully has been in charge.? 

I'm hoping monk decides to start playing him wide left, with Harris on the right at the start of games. 

Hopefully meaning both him and Harris would come inside more and support Fletcher leaving him less isolated. 

Then we'd have the other added point of allowing them to swap wings if things weren't happening or being a bit less effective, by swapping over during the game. 

This would hopefully give opposition fullbacks something different to adjust to if they're cutting inside instead of staying wide. 

Fingers crossed Reach would also rediscover find his long range shooting boots, doing a Wallace and driving inside and having a crack from range when on the right. 

sounds ok to me gary

3 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Thats the predicament with Reach where do you play him ? 

I dont think anyone can say , thats definitely his best position and his to lose can they ? 

I think a run at left back will make or break him . 

Be interesting to see how Monk handles it , because I dont think he will put up with any passengers . 

Play him in his proper position, on the wing or don't play him at all. Why do we always want to play people out of position?

In an emergency we might have to use people where needed but 90% of the time it ruins the player and it ruins the team shape because they keep drifting out of position. That's the problem with Hutch he's a CB and as a DM he sits too deep because he thinks like a CB.

If we can't use players in their natural position get rid of them and bring someone in to fill the position we need. If Fox isn't good enough bring in a better LB rather than use Reach there.

It does my nut in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

He was doing fine on the left wing, until Jos came in and changed the system meaning we didn't use wingers and Reach and Wallace were shoehorned into midfield, where Reach has pretty much remained ever since. Left wing is by far his best position imo - this season he's only been played there for a short time at Preston and came up with a great cross to assist Fletcher's goal.

He's OK as a makeshift LB/LWB if we're playing a weaker team and he doesn't have to defend much but as you say he couldn't tackle to save his life. He actually made his SWFC debut at LB iirc - the Wednesday Way, spend a club record fee on a winger and play him at full back!

Exactly, Bruce played Fletcher up top with Arrons & Reach as wingers a couple of times and it looked really promising. 

Well it did until Aaron's does what he does and got injured again lol

5 hours ago, hugeowl said:

I hope Monk can get him playing because he does not deserve his place at the moment .

I hope he considers him for left back . 

As a wing back with a third centre back behind him maybe but never as a left back. 

He he has no idea how to tackle.

7 hours ago, NYowl said:

Not sure teams can afford to play out and out wingers anymore, the pure width normally comes from the wingback with the wide forward player playing more narrow and becoming a goal threat. A great example of this is Sterling at Man City, used to be  classed as a winger but now plays right across the front line just pulling wide when needed.

Reach should really thrive in that sort of role as it would give him the freedom to unleash his powerful shots, although he would need to get in the box more and improve his finishing.

I tend to agree and it absolutely always comes back to what I see as the most important position in modern football and unfortunately for us it happens to be the position we have neglected most since DC took over. We should have invested most heavily in the wingbacks IMO, instead we've dabbled and made do. 

STATS ALERT:

He is shooting, slightly less than he was last season. Reach had 81 efforts on goal last season at an average of 1.88 shots/game. 

This season, he's had 7 attempts at goal, at an average of 1.16 shots/games. So if he carried on with that average, he'd end up having over 30 less shots on goal than last season.

However, what has not changed between this season and last, is the quality of efforts he's having. Both this and last season, the average xG of Reach's effort was 0.06. Essentially, he has an average of 6% chance of scoring with every shot he takes. Which isn't really conducive to producing a regular stream of goals. Very inefficient. 

Compare that to an in-form player in Harris, who has had double the amounts of efforts as Reach, but also at an average xG of 0.13. In effect, at that rate, Harris will score a goal every 8 shots, whilst Reach will only score a goal every 17 shots. 

After Reach's glut of spectacular goals, it became a habit of his to have a lot of speculative efforts, and of course, consistently shooting from low xG's, over a prolonged period of time, will yield pretty poor outcomes.

If Monk is to improve our fortunes, he needs to make Reach (and others) far more efficient in front of goals. 

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
11 hours ago, s.armo said:

His form as been poor this season needs putting on the bench for me

Depends on the formation for me. If we stick with 4-3-3 he may well end up in the bench

15 hours ago, prowl said:

Play him in his proper position, on the wing or don't play him at all. Why do we always want to play people out of position?

In an emergency we might have to use people where needed but 90% of the time it ruins the player and it ruins the team shape because they keep drifting out of position. That's the problem with Hutch he's a CB and as a DM he sits too deep because he thinks like a CB.

If we can't use players in their natural position get rid of them and bring someone in to fill the position we need. If Fox isn't good enough bring in a better LB rather than use Reach there.

It does my nut in.

Thing is on his profile he is named as a winger / Left back , Wikipidia etc 

He has played many times at Left back and never looked out of place , can anyone remember him getting roasted ? 

We cannot bring another full back in until at least January , this should have been addressed close season 

I actually advocated selling Reach , because I am struggling to see what position he can truly call his own 

People say he cannot tackle and I agree he is not the best by a long chalk , but tackling aint what it used to be these days , its more covering the ground and blocking your opponent the referees make sure of that . 

I would prefer him there to Fox and Palmer on the left , but we will have to see what Monk thinks 

For heaven sake do NOT put him at LB. Reach has shown he is an attacker not a defender. I rather like the idea of him being given a Sterling role , especially now that we have got Kieron lee back, and no FF.for a while at least.He has shown he can score goals when playing in an attacking role, but is wasted in midfield, especially when we start to fall back, as we have been doing.. Maybe this would force Bannan to move up a little. He's playing too deep at the moment.

As for left back, why are we moaning. We've got Buxton, who's put in some good performances for us, and the change recently  in Fox has been exceptional. I believe he is gaining confidence match after match, if only people would get off his back, and focus on what he does well not on his mistakes. Look at some of the other 'stars' and analyse THEIR performances. What about our Yellow  Card King, who has taken over from Hutchinson in the roll of 1 card per game certainly.The almighty Bannan.