Adam reach

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

For heaven sake do NOT put him at LB. Reach has shown he is an attacker not a defender. I rather like the idea of him being given a Sterling role , especially now that we have got Kieron lee back, and no FF.for a while at least.He has shown he can score goals when playing in an attacking role, but is wasted in midfield, especially when we start to fall back, as we have been doing.. Maybe this would force Bannan to move up a little. He's playing too deep at the moment.

As for left back, why are we moaning. We've got Buxton, who's put in some good performances for us, and the change recently  in Fox has been exceptional. I believe he is gaining confidence match after match, if only people would get off his back, and focus on what he does well not on his mistakes. Look at some of the other 'stars' and analyse THEIR performances. What about our Yellow  Card King, who has taken over from Hutchinson in the roll of 1 card per game certainly.The almighty Bannan.

Buxton is past it mate 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, NYowl said:

Not sure teams can afford to play out and out wingers anymore

Yep. The trend for a while seems to be the old inside left/right in a 4-3-3 variation.

Before that it was wide midfielders with Engines who run up and down the entire flank (like Alexanderson/Rudi - Beckham/Giggs did).

It will be a while until we see players like Blinker or Lee Sharpe again imo. 

3 minutes ago, pussface said:

Yep. The trend for a while seems to be the old inside left/right in a 4-3-3 variation.

Before that it was wide midfielders with Engines who run up and down the entire flank (like Alexanderson/Rudi - Beckham/Giggs did).

It will be a while until we see players like Blinker or Lee Sharpe again imo. 

Agree with this.

I often wonder how the magnificent Chris Waddle would be seen these days. Would teams change their style to accommodate his style or would Chris need to change his game.

Reach isn't good enough to be an out and out full back, but could work in a 4-4-2 as a wide midfielder flanking the left side.

I'm just not sure who his counterpart on the right would be. Possibly Odebajo or Lee. Problem then is the team can become quite flat, and what to do with Harris?

It really is becoming an issue of falling into the 'design a system to suit a single player' trap.

Monk's first side will be interesting, and probably quite telling..

9 minutes ago, NYowl said:

Agree with this.

I often wonder how the magnificent Chris Waddle would be seen these days. Would teams change their style to accommodate his style or would Chris need to change his game.

Obviously I'm not comparing Waddle to Ronaldo or Messi... but both started out as wingers and developed their game to stellar levels.

Waddle would have had to adapt imo, yet adapting was one of his attributes. He also didn't rely on acres of space or blistering pace, so would offer many options.

Giggs started out as a flamboyant pacy flair winger, yet evolved with the demands of his team/manager over time away from an out and out winger. Which arguably prolonged his career as he no longer had to rely on pace/space, just like Waddle. Lee Sharpe didn’t/couldn’t and imo is why their careers went in stark contrast fortune wise.

• Like 1

He played on the right under Jos which is where he had his purple patch. Cutting inside and smashing them in on his left peg like Brunt used to do under Sturrock.

Play him right wing and we'll see some of those shots again. Harris on the left as he's a traditional winger.

13 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

For heaven sake do NOT put him at LB. Reach has shown he is an attacker not a defender. I rather like the idea of him being given a Sterling role , especially now that we have got Kieron lee back, and no FF.for a while at least.He has shown he can score goals when playing in an attacking role, but is wasted in midfield, especially when we start to fall back, as we have been doing.. Maybe this would force Bannan to move up a little. He's playing too deep at the moment.

As for left back, why are we moaning. We've got Buxton, who's put in some good performances for us, and the change recently  in Fox has been exceptional. I believe he is gaining confidence match after match, if only people would get off his back, and focus on what he does well not on his mistakes. Look at some of the other 'stars' and analyse THEIR performances. What about our Yellow  Card King, who has taken over from Hutchinson in the roll of 1 card per game certainly.The almighty Bannan.

Fox has been exceptional

absolutely ridiculous....6/10 at best

wtf

14 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Thing is on his profile he is named as a winger / Left back , Wikipidia etc 

He has played many times at Left back and never looked out of place , can anyone remember him getting roasted ? 

We cannot bring another full back in until at least January , this should have been addressed close season 

I actually advocated selling Reach , because I am struggling to see what position he can truly call his own 

People say he cannot tackle and I agree he is not the best by a long chalk , but tackling aint what it used to be these days , its more covering the ground and blocking your opponent the referees make sure of that . 

I would prefer him there to Fox and Palmer on the left , but we will have to see what Monk thinks 

I agree could be the best left back in the league..great left foot, great engine, great going forward, intelligent footballer

But hang on...most on here will tell you that fox is the next Roberto Carlos! You cant possibly be better than foxy...ffs

41 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

The fact we are even considering Reach at full back shows how weak we are in that position. God knows what we would do for a nigel Worthington right now

At 57, I'd fear his best days are behind him. 

21 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Buxton is past it mate 

Sorry. So fed up of living in the place. I actually meant Palmer, who cannot be said to be past it. I  fact he's playing some of the best football of his career..

But then, I've not seen many LBs at Wednesday. I can only go back as far as Hugh Swift. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

The fact we are even considering Reach at full back shows how weak we are in that position. God knows what we would do for a nigel Worthington right now

The Worthington/King combination on the left was the best I’ve seen in my time watching Wednesday, unfussy but so effective.

For me

......................Westwood

Iorfa..........Lees..........Borner.........Palmer

............Hutchinson....Bannan

Reach..................Lee.......................Harris

.........................Fletcher

Dawson, Odubajo, Bates, Luongo, Murphy, Forestieri, Rhodes.

Fullback covered, CB covered, CM covered and attacking options.