James Beattie

New Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk drops hint over possibility of adding former Sheffield United striker James Beattie to backroom staff

Sheffield Wednesday have refused to rule out the possibility of adding former Sheffield United striker James Beattie to their coaching set-up.

Monday, 09 September, 2019, 16:00

New Owls manager Garry Monk has hinted he will bring in "one or two members of staff" to work alongside their existing backroom team in time.

And Monk has worked with Beattie at his previous clubs Swansea City, Leeds United, Middlesbrough and Birmingham City.

Beattie, who enjoyed two spells as a player at Bramall Lane, is currently a coach at Birmingham.

Garry Monk, left, and James Beattie at Birmingham City. (Photo by Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

Garry Monk, left, and James Beattie at Birmingham City. (Photo by Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

Hello, this is the first of your 5 free articles for this week

When asked if there is a possibility of Beattie joining his Wednesday revolution, Monk told The Star: "We will have those discussions.

"Of course, if there is a chance to bring in one or two members of staff with me who know me and have worked with me and know how I work, we can hit the ground running as quickly as possible. It can help with time and I will look to do that. But right now, it is working with Lee and the staff and I am looking forward to that.

"I am looking forward to it but we will see what happens."

When Monk first took over as Blues boss in 2018, he had to reach a settlement with Middlesbrough for the services of Beattie, Sean Rush, Darryl Flahavan and Ryan Needs. The quartet remain at St Andrew's, albeit Beattie in a redefined role, with Pep Clotet in charge.

But Monk, whose first Wednesday in the dug-out will be Sunday's Yorkshire derby at Huddersfield Town, has already stated he will work with first-team coach Bullen.

"Lee and the other staff are going to be there and I am looking forward to that insight as well," he said. "When you have a pre-season, you can get the bulk of your ideas across, but we haven't got the luxury of that. 

"Having the insight from Lee and the other staff is going to be vitally important and I am looking forward to working with them and understanding that."

stupid enough not to bring him in, like I stated in another thread. Needs to bring his own staff to help implement his plans into games otherwise it wont work. Annoying to see left over staff from a previous managers reign. Whats the point because surely they will all have a different philosophy on the game. I like lee but you can't just force him to be become someones assistant every single time we appoint a new manager.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Chow said:

stupid enough not to bring him in, like I stated in another thread. Needs to bring his own staff to help implement his plans into games otherwise it wont work. Annoying to see left over staff from a previous managers reign. Whats the point because surely they will all have a different philosophy on the game. I like lee but you can't just force him to be become someones assistant every single time we appoint a new manager.

Other than when being handed the reigns as caretaker, was Bullen an integral part of the coaching set up?

I imagine Bullen will remain on the coaching staff, but not as the manager's assistant.

I think Bullen has been here under a number of managers and will be capable of adapting to any new requirements.  Pep Clotet (sp) seems to be the main man behind Monk so maybe we will see him appear at some stage unless he's confirmed as permanent manager at the blues.

If Bullen is not happy being shunted back down to being a coach then he'll have to go out and get a head coach job.

I don't want him sacked and I believe he's good enough to adapt to a new managers philosophy but if he wants career progression he'll probably have to leave.

10 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I'll be honest..it might be better if Bullen had a change of scene..

Just needs to be within driving distance. He won't be interested in moving, as it's tough finding decent estate agents these days

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Mr. Chow said:

But with every good manager bullen will learn a lot of different methods which will help his stock when he eventually goes into management, (if he ever does), working with Bruce and now monk will set him up nicely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Chow said:

Perhaps they are happy where they are... Have you thought of that

Monk should be bringing in who he wants and have the power to do that. 

If he's been told he can't (which doesn't seem the case given his comments today) I fear for us. 

I can understand people wanting to keep Bullen around but he shouldn't be forced onto a new manager who should be given full backing by the people who appointed him.

Edited by poite
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OughtibridgeOwl said:

New Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk drops hint over possibility of adding former Sheffield United striker James Beattie to backroom staff

Sheffield Wednesday have refused to rule out the possibility of adding former Sheffield United striker James Beattie to their coaching set-up.

Monday, 09 September, 2019, 16:00

New Owls manager Garry Monk has hinted he will bring in "one or two members of staff" to work alongside their existing backroom team in time.

And Monk has worked with Beattie at his previous clubs Swansea City, Leeds United, Middlesbrough and Birmingham City.

Beattie, who enjoyed two spells as a player at Bramall Lane, is currently a coach at Birmingham.

Hello, this is the first of your 5 free articles for this week

When asked if there is a possibility of Beattie joining his Wednesday revolution, Monk told The Star: "We will have those discussions.

"Of course, if there is a chance to bring in one or two members of staff with me who know me and have worked with me and know how I work, we can hit the ground running as quickly as possible. It can help with time and I will look to do that. But right now, it is working with Lee and the staff and I am looking forward to that.

"I am looking forward to it but we will see what happens."

When Monk first took over as Blues boss in 2018, he had to reach a settlement with Middlesbrough for the services of Beattie, Sean Rush, Darryl Flahavan and Ryan Needs. The quartet remain at St Andrew's, albeit Beattie in a redefined role, with Pep Clotet in charge.

But Monk, whose first Wednesday in the dug-out will be Sunday's Yorkshire derby at Huddersfield Town, has already stated he will work with first-team coach Bullen.

"Lee and the other staff are going to be there and I am looking forward to that insight as well," he said. "When you have a pre-season, you can get the bulk of your ideas across, but we haven't got the luxury of that. 

"Having the insight from Lee and the other staff is going to be vitally important and I am looking forward to working with them and understanding that."

We need a fresh approach, the more new blood the better for me

20 minutes ago, poite said:

Monk should be bringing in who he wants and have the power to do that. 

If he's been told he can't (which doesn't seem the case given his comments today) I fear for us. 

I can understand people wanting to keep Bullen around but he shouldn't be forced onto a new manager who should be given full backing by the people who appointed him.

Of course you don't you'd be chuffed if it went boobies up at least have the fuckinghonesty to tell us FFS

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Thanks 1

Bullens obviously happy at the club...Even if its just handing the bibs out and collecting the cones.

He's been in a the deep end a couple of times..and handled it..maybe he has his limitations, but his intentions...I believe have ALWAYS been in the best interests of the club.

Are we now in a culture when we simply let that sort of devotion go?

I don't think DC sees it like that..and I admire him for it...

I would feel rather uncomfortable and a little guilty if Bulen was shunted out of the set up... 

He's a Wednesday fan...he is loyal..and if you don't occasionally reward that....Footballs f.ooked..Because we as fans are forever lauding our loyalty to the club with ..

"oooh I went all the way to whereverthefook"

But don't seem to recognise it in others...

• Like 4

Guest Ferkorf

I hope they get shut of bullen and what left of the carlos / jos / bruce regime.

Ring in the changes and move forward.

Let him sort his own coaching team and give him a chance to build.

No point keeping people there who are going to be whispering in his ear about who can play where and who is crap who is not.