Lee Bullen

He has been at the club an age, loves the club But is he hindering the management structure.

When Carlos came in it was agreed he would have an British coach we looked at a guy from Swindon at the time and ended up with Bullen. Then each time a manager has departed, bullen has looked after us till the new man arrives then remains part of the coaching set up.

The Bruce team was the first time for 4 years that we had a manager with his own coaches and a different way of doing things and the team improved and thrived. 

Now Monk comes in and once again the chairman says Bullen will be part of the coaching staff. 

Is this hindering the new man from putting his stamp on the team, is it because bullen is DC eyes and ears in the team.

Or is it simple the club rewarding a good servant to the team with some continuity in the coaching structure. I cannot think of another team where this happens though.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

He has been at the club an age, loves the club But is he hindering the management structure.

When Carlos came in it was agreed he would have an British coach we looked at a guy from Swindon at the time and ended up with Bullen. Then each time a manager has departed, bullen has looked after us till the new man arrives then remains part of the coaching set up.

The Bruce team was the first time for 4 years that we had a manager with his own coaches and a different way of doing things and the team improved and thrived. 

Now Monk comes in and once again the chairman says Bullen will be part of the coaching staff. 

Is this hindering the new man from putting his stamp on the team, is it because bullen is DC eyes and ears in the team.

Or is it simple the club rewarding a good servant to the team with some continuity in the coaching structure. I cannot think of another team where this happens though.

When did the chairman say that ?

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Carlos and Jos had their own coaches didn’t they.

Think there may be still room to bring in his own person.    Bullen is a coach, the new person would be a coach - what's in the term "assistant manager" anyway?

End of day, I don't think an assistant manager has ever really had that much sway in the direction for a team.   

In fact, until Francis came along and he had Richie Barker, I'd never really realised such a position existed.    Did Big Ron have an assistant?

Edited by Salmonbones

Sounds like Bullen is the Chairman's eyes and eyes but in equal measure he is the voice of the players who clearly respect him. He is part of the furniture now. I would like to see him carve out a name for himself but he has always been there for us and should always be welcome at Hillsborough.

28 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Think there may be still room to bring in his own person.    Bullen is a coach, the new person would be a coach - what's in the term "assistant manager" anyway?

End of day, I don't think an assistant manager has ever really had that much sway in the direction for a team.   

In fact, until Francis came along and he had Richie Barker, I'd never really realised such a position existed.    Did Big Ron have an assistant?

Richie Barker worked with Big Ron throughout his time here, may even have been here before. 

Pretty sure Peter Eustace was Wilkinson’s ‘assistant manager’ for 5 years before that in fact.