Garry Monk OMDT

This is a huge opportunity for Monk to prove he’s a good manager, at a club with a loyal chairman and decent squad of players. 

He should see some parallels with Sean Dyche, another British man not exactly well known in the world of football but who’s been able to achieve success as a manager and attract players to sign for him. 

Ex-centre back Dyche, was aged 41 when he took over at Burnley during an October when the team were 14th and 5 points off playoffs, got them to finish 11th that season and then promoted in the following season.

Ex-centre back Monk, is aged 40 as he takes charge of the owls.

Both are 6ft and had ginger/strawberry blond hair during their playing days.  Coincidence..

Difference being that Monk has had more managerial experience at a younger age.

Unlike at his previous clubs let’s give Monk until next season at least as hopefully he could turn out to be our Sean Dyche. 

Edited by Southie_Owl
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

This is a huge opportunity for Monk to prove he’s a good manager, at a club with a loyal chairman and decent squad of players. 

He should see some parallels with Sean Dyche, another British man not exactly well known in the world of football but who’s been able to achieve success as a manager and attract players to sign for him. 

Ex-centre back Dyche, was aged 41 when he took over at Burnley during an October when the team were 14th and 5 points off playoffs, got them to finish 11th that season and then promoted in the following season.

Ex-centre back Monk, is aged 40 as he takes charge of the owls.

Both are 6ft and had ginger/strawberry blond hair during their playing days.  Coincidence..

Difference being that Monk has had more managerial experience at a younger age.

Unlike at his previous clubs let’s give Monk until next season at least as hopefully he could turn out to be our Sean Dyche. 

Great post southie, it’s interesting how Dyche led Burnley to 11th and (I seem to remember) in his second season they were on the border of the playoffs until Xmas time then made a ridiculous unbeaten run from Jan to May with Andre Gray scoring loads to get them to 2nd place.  Imagine if Burnley had sacked Dyche before Xmas in that second season , as Boro sacked Monk in his first for being 8th and 3 points off playoffs.

I was watching a couple of videos on youTube about Monk's managerial career and his coaching style. Along with Snooty's thorough analysis, they helped ease my mind about the Monk appointment and picked up my whelm quite a bit. 

Overall, I've got the impression, that we may see a mix of the Swansea/Leeds technical, counter attack and high energy pressing style with the pragmatic Birmingham style of intensity, width and directness. You could also see it as a mix of the best of Carlos' style and methods from his first season and Bruce's way that Bruce was implementing here?

Monk may get the best out of our technical players but may also favour our players to be able to get about the pitch more. He also seems to get the best out of his strikers at most of his clubs. For those reasons I could see the likes of Bates; Borner, Palmer, Bannan, Lee, Luongo, Harris, Murphy, Forestieri and Fletcher, thriving under Monk. Also eventually I could see some of the more experienced players and a few past favourites, that haven't got the legs, to eventually see their places under threat. For example I could see Bates and Borner possibly becoming a strong partnership over time; Luongo will force his way into Monk's plans I'm certain of it, the wingers will enjoy themselves under Monk as will Fletcher and eventually Forestieri too. But I'm sure he'll utilise the squad and give everyone a shot at impressing him and working their way into his thoughts.

I also got the impression, that Monk's got a bit to prove at this level and we may be a good fit for him. He hasn't had a 2 year stint at any of his clubs. He's tended to hit good spells and poor spells at his clubs he's managed but he's never really been given enough time to fully show what he's capable of, especially at this level. We know how loyal DC can be with his managers, that's the one thing apart from his time at Swansea, that Monk hasn't been given from any of his previous chairmen, especially the owners he's worked for at this level.

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 1

What a top post - love it - Monk is a strong character who'll take no crap but feed warm apple crumble to the players too.

I think we largely have the players to fit his preferred system, too - so this does seem a genuinely thought out appointment rather than plucking someone from the game based on reputation alone - instead of how they'll 'fit' our club and current squad.

Nicely positive, cheers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Cheers Nightowl,  really enjoyed these.  The first one because that's a system and style I could see suiting quite a few of our players. 

The second one was very telling. Like I said in the O.P. A relatively short managerial career but a lot of experience crammed into it. 

I also like that he admits it that he wasn't strong enough at Swansea. Self appraisal and evaluation can be something missing in some managers. 

As lack of self reflection.  

Also interesting, and it's the second time I've heard him on a similar theme saying players who ' dont get it' will be out.

• Like 2

Lord Snooty, your Monk OMDT...... I've read it over and over, because it yields new information (at least to me) with each subsequent read.  You speak from an engineering viewpoint, rather than an emotional viewpoint, but at the same time, the 'human side' is present.  This is my favorite of all your writings, which ought to be offered in the Megastore, leather bound volumes.  

Who could read these observations on the Monk Appointment, and not feel good about it?  Who could listen to Monk, and not like him?  I know, Monk is not a 'fashionable' appointment but he seems to understand the principle of playing to the limits of ones strengths,  and the importance of Players being able to think, read the game, and direct the proceedings without having to be told.  Monk isn't big on destructive criticism, he tells the Player how they can improve, rather than highlighting the failures.  

Never seen an OMDT concerning a Manager, makes me think the author likes the idea of a Monk Wednesday.  I like the idea, even if I never thought it'd be Monk, I do now.  Yes, Chansiri looks battle-hardened, been ~5 years in the trenches, now he knows the political-legal end, very well, and that not everybody who says they can do the job, can, and that those whom can, may just jump ship next week, but he ain't jumpin' ship just because the fighting is fast and unrelenting.  This is an affront  to his (Chansiri) Code of Honor, which would be about like the British Code of Honor, 1836, and what's so wrong with that?

1 hour ago, Costello 77 said:

1. Chicken in a basket and Tony Christie

2.Stealing your sisters hairspray to make yourself look like Marc Bolan

3. Worrying about everything

4.Dog muck

Talking of dog muck , why dont you see white dog muck any more ?