Garry Monk OMDT

1 hour ago, grandpaowl said:

Can anyone put a date and location to this picture. Looks like my dad far left on back row. Is it a Lancaster or a Halifax?

The air and ground crew of Avro Lancaster B Mark I.

W4236 'QR-K', of 'A' Flight, No. 61 Squadron RAF, grouped by the nose of the aircraft at Syerston, Nottinghamshire, after it had completed 70 operational flights.

Air crew, standing) left to right: Flying Officer F L Hewish, air bomber; Pilot Officer W H Eager RCAF, pilot and captain; Sergeant F R Stone, wireless operator; Sergeant L S Vanner, rear gunner; Sergeant H T Petts, navigator; Sergeant F R Sharrard, mid-upper gunner; Sergeant L Lawrence, flight engineer.

Ground crew, (sitting) left to right: Leading Aircraftsman W A Long, flight mechanic (engines); Corporal C Bowyer, fitter; Leading Aircraftsman J Blackwood, flight mechanic (airframe).

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The air and ground crew of Avro Lancaster B Mark I.

W4236 'QR-K', of 'A' Flight, No. 61 Squadron RAF, grouped by the nose of the aircraft at Syerston, Nottinghamshire, after it had completed 70 operational flights.

Air crew, standing) left to right: Flying Officer F L Hewish, air bomber; Pilot Officer W H Eager RCAF, pilot and captain; Sergeant F R Stone, wireless operator; Sergeant L S Vanner, rear gunner; Sergeant H T Petts, navigator; Sergeant F R Sharrard, mid-upper gunner; Sergeant L Lawrence, flight engineer.

Ground crew, (sitting) left to right: Leading Aircraftsman W A Long, flight mechanic (engines); Corporal C Bowyer, fitter; Leading Aircraftsman J Blackwood, flight mechanic (airframe).

Quality research there...

:image: