Garry Monk OMDT

17 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

We don't have a decent squad of players. What we have is a squad of players who are largely on the wane. We are in transition and even Pep or Klopp would struggle to get these Herbert's into the top 6.

Would’ve backed Bruce to get this squad into the top 6 given last seasons results and direction of travel. 

2 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Of the teams we’ve dropped points to so far this season, Millwall, Preston and QPR, how many of their squads would you swap with ours? 

That's the thing in the Championship,  we'd all take players from other clubs. I'd love Johnson from Preston, even Pearson, two real competitors in midfield. I'd probably take Gallagher as well. 

I'd probably take Cooper from Millwall , a proper muck and nettle defender. And smith up top a powerful,  physical lad who puts himself about and nicks goals.

I'd take Hugil from QPR a real $hithouse of a forward who works the entire back line, nicks goals and has a real do anything to win attitude. 

I'd take the left back Manning too. Fit as a butchers dog, great on the overlap got a good delivery. 

Equally I'm sure they'd handpick from our squad. But would they want Fox, or Winnall etc. Probably not. 

We have a decent squad,  like so many in the Championship but when you scratch the surface a bit it can start to look a bit thin on real top end quality.

On 10/09/2019 at 13:08, Owls-Fan said:

Of the teams we’ve dropped points to so far this season, Millwall, Preston and QPR, how many of their squads would you swap with ours? 

Millwall and QPR will more than likely finish in the bottom six pal so I'm not sure that your question is really relevant to a side that you appear to rate as top 6 material?

26 minutes ago, stevie snerklebox said:

Millwall and QPR will more than likely finish in the bottom six pal so I'm not sure that your question is really relevant to a side that you appear to rate as top 6 material?

You say we don’t have a decent squad of players in response to being capable of finishing in the top 6. So I’m curious which 6 other squads in this league you would prefer to ours? Not individual players, but squads of players. 

Seeing as we have a better squad now than the one that was 3rd in the form table between February and May, I’m interested why it’s suddenly become incapable of challenging for the top 6 as it’s “not decent” 

6 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

You say we don’t have a decent squad of players in response to being capable of finishing in the top 6. So I’m curious which 6 other squads in this league you would prefer to ours? Not individual players, but squads of players. 

Seeing as we have a better squad now than the one that was 3rd in the form table between February and May, I’m interested why it’s suddenly become incapable of challenging for the top 6 as it’s “not decent” 

This squad cannot sustain a top 6 challenge over a 9 month season. 3 months decent form under Bruce petered out in April and May.

Squads better than ours in my opinion....

Leeds

Bristol City

Boro

Cardiff 

Derby

Brentford

West Brom

Fulham

Forest

Swansea

Squads at our level (again, my opinion)

Preston

Birmingham 

Hull

Stoke

Blackburn

I really hope I'm wrong mate, but these Herbert's have repeatedly failed us, and Harris & Borner apart, we haven't improved the squad. And Borner really is only a direct replacement for Michael Hector anyway.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, stevie snerklebox said:

This squad cannot sustain a top 6 challenge over a 9 month season. 3 months decent form under Bruce petered out in April and May.

Leeds

Bristol City

Boro

Cardiff 

Derby

Brentford

West Brom

Fulham

Forest

Swansea

Preston

Birmingham 

Hull

Stoke

Blackburn

I really hope I'm wrong mate, but these Herbert's have repeatedly failed us, and Harris & Borner apart, we haven't improved the squad. And Borner really is only a direct replacement for Michael Hector anyway.

No Blue n White Striped tinted Spectacles  were used in this post .....

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

No Blue n White Striped Specs were used in this post .....

I was right mad and pointing really angrily at Full Time v QPR. :cool:

This crop have had several bites at the cherry and have always come up short, sometimes miles short! How people can somehow now think that we can effectively challenge over a sustained period with this squad, is baffling to me.

As I've already said,  I soooooo want to be wrong on this!

• Like 1

Just now, stevie snerklebox said:

I was right mad and pointing really angrily at Full Time v QPR. :cool:

This crop have had several bites at the cherry and have always come up short, sometimes miles short! How people can somehow now think that we can effectively challenge over a sustained period with this squad, is baffling to me.

As I've already said,  I soooooo want to be wrong on this!

You won't be Snerkers ...

If Monk hangs around long enough/ is allowed full control  I'm pretty sure the current squad will be nothing like the Squad we have now ?.

This "family" needs to go its separate ways...

Maybe meet up for holidays, /reunions close season.,,?

Good luck Garry Monk 

You are gonna need it ......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

You won't be Snerkers ...

If Monk hangs around long enough/ is allowed full control  I'm pretty sure the current squad will be nothing like the Squad we have now ?.

This "family" needs to go its separate ways...

Maybe meet up for holidays, /reunions close season.,,?

Good luck Garry Monk 

You are gonna need it ......

One thing we can all agree on..

GM won't be taking any prisoners..

Which is good news.

The ability in the squad is there. I think confidence is vital to go on a sequence of results. Think back to Millwall who nearly claimed a playoff spot from being relegation fodder. Not a good squad on paper but playing out of their skins. 

No reason why us or any of the other 23 teams can achieve that.

40 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

The ability in the squad is there. I think confidence is vital to go on a sequence of results. Think back to Millwall who nearly claimed a playoff spot from being relegation fodder. Not a good squad on paper but playing out of their skins. 

No reason why us or any of the other 23 teams can achieve that.

The ability? Possibly...... it's the mentality that's lacking for me.

Starting to remind me of when we were down in League One and had signed Clinton Morrison and a wealth of other players with experience at a higher level.

They were all "name" players, therefore expectations were high, but in essence there was a reason why they'd signed for a League One club.

We were being outplayed by supposed lesser teams because our fanbase hadn't heard of their players...

Don't get me wrong - NONE of our squad are anywhere near that level if abysmal. But it's similar noises I'm hearing from fans. "Bannan should be tearing this league apart". Based on what? A few seasons in the Premier League however long ago.

Interested to see how Monk uses the squad, but I'm not holding out much hope for anything beyond midtable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

Leeds

Bristol City

Boro

Cardiff 

Derby

Brentford

West Brom

Fulham

Forest

Swansea

Preston

Birmingham 

Hull

Stoke

Blackburn

Based on this your rationale would have us finishing no higher than 11th?

I think that we will finish within the top ten and the squad is definitely capable of squeezing into the top 6 depending if Monk gets the team to gel and play attacking football.

We should not be settling for getting a point away.

11 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

Leeds

Bristol City

Boro

Cardiff 

Derby

Brentford

West Brom

Fulham

Forest

Swansea

Preston

Birmingham 

Hull

Stoke

Blackburn

Fair enough, I still disagree about our squad not being as good as some of those teams you’ve mentioned. I wonder if Swansea would be on people’s list had they not started the season well. 

Personally i think we’ve been held back since May and once Monk gets his ideas across we will see us return to the top 6 in the form table. 

Im not sure about the point “apart from Harris & Borner we haven’t improved the squad”. Even if you sign 1 good player you may have improved the squad. I feel Luongo, Murphy, Obubajo and Harris are improvements on the likes of Onomah, Aaron’s and Boyd.  The fact the latter two have gone to Wycombe and Posh confirms that.  

But anyway, it’s all about opinions and hopefully Monk will do well and confirm mine is right, as it will be a pain if I have to say I’m wrong 

Edited by Owls-Fan

14 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

Leeds

Bristol City

Boro

Cardiff 

Derby

Brentford

West Brom

Fulham

Forest

Swansea

Preston

Birmingham 

Hull

Stoke

Blackburn

When you look at it like that, it does seem like a tall order

Fortunately we play them all one at a time, and I fancy us to give anyone a game once Monk has settled in properly

If football was this simplistic, the relegated clubs with all they're parachute payments would bounce back every year

Teams with the smallest budgets, like Sheffield United wouldn't have a chance

It just shows the advantage having a good manager can give you

And I think Monk is very good

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

28 minutes ago, stevie snerklebox said:

As I've already stated, I really hope that I'm wrong and that the optimists on here are correct. But I'm 52 years old, a bitter and twisted middle aged (some would even say old!) man. Been going to Hillsborough for 45 years and I've maybe seen 7-8 good seasons.

It's the hope and expectation that kills you.

I'm 61 in a few months, been going since the sixties

My record isn't much better

Perhaps when we've gone they'll pick up

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.