Garry Monk OMDT

3 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

As I've already stated, I really hope that I'm wrong and that the optimists on here are correct. But I'm 52 years old, a bitter and twisted middle aged (some would even say old!) man. Been going to Hillsborough for 45 years and I've maybe seen 7-8 good seasons.

It's the hope and expectation that kills you.

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'm 61 in a few months, been going since the sixties

My record isn't much better

Perhaps when we've gone they'll pick up

For many years my father put our bad luck down to two pidgeons who sometimes landed on the North stand roof during games.

"Oh Christ, look it's those two again. We'll get nothing today"

Looks like he should have been looking in the terraces for you two!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

11 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

For many years my father put our bad luck down to two pidgeons who sometimes landed on the North stand roof during games.

I would imagine every Wednesdayite has a similar story

Actually, we should blame the kids, for anyone born in the nineties, they've only really known us being shiit, that includes my two

I'd sell my soul for my kids to see us win something

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

33 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Moving to Donny some would say you have!

That's it then....

"I name you HMS PI$$ THE LEAGUE"

giphy.gif

Donny gets a bad rep but I don't know why, the town centre is a shiit hole, but so is Sheffield

The area we live is rather nice, and it's surrounded by other nice villages

And we have an airport, they've even put Sheffield's name on it so I don't feel home sick

• Haha 3

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

On 12/09/2019 at 13:17, stevie snerklebox said:

As I've already stated, I really hope that I'm wrong and that the optimists on here are correct. But I'm 52 years old, a bitter and twisted middle aged (some would even say old!) man. Been going to Hillsborough for 45 years and I've maybe seen 7-8 good seasons.

Mate couldn't agree more.  I had a meltdown after the last game, i'm sick of being disappointed.  Been going since 1966 when I was six, my old dad took me, he passed away last year aged 87 and what did he see us win, virtually sod all.  I just hope this time, because its getting to the point where I think what's the point. 

1 minute ago, Mus said:

Mate couldn't agree more.  I had a meltdown after the last game, i'm sick of being disappointed.  Been going since 1966 when I was six, my old dad took me, he passed away last year aged 87 and what did he see us win, virtually sod all.  I just hope this time, because its getting to the point where I think what's the point. 

There's the little spell isn't there. When things click. When there's a team which bonds, a manager that galvanises.

And we hope that those moments will last forever. That they will become the platforms on which all our bright future is built.

They're usually blips from the norm however. 

And now the game is changed beyond all recognition. 

Is there any platform that anyone could build not which would propel us on to be one of the great English clubs challenging for honours?

Probably not. 

Had the Premier League been formed a season or two earlier we might have been peaking at the right time.

As it is....we leapt from the harbour just as the boat was pulling out from dock. 

So now, more than ever it's about enjoying the other moments. Taking them for what they are.

Furious Paul Sturrocks play-off. Mind the Gap. Carlos's first season. 

I don't know whether Monk will be the right man. But he's as much chance as anyone else of getting us in and around. 

Maybe he can give us one of those rare golden memories.

Christ,I need some coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/09/2019 at 13:17, stevie snerklebox said:

On 12/09/2019 at 13:47, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'm 61 in a few months, been going since the sixties

My record isn't much better

Perhaps when we've gone they'll pick up

On 12/09/2019 at 16:18, Lord Snooty said:

Seems only fair that I should share some of the blame here 

My first Wednesday match in December '67 - that glorious 4-1 home win v West Ham, World Cup heroes an' all :rolleyes: - left us 5th in Div.1 and looking good

However, we'd only pick up 10pts from the remaining 22 games (W2 D6 L14) and finish 19th - 2pts above the drop - which just so happened to be the pigs, so that's okay

Fared a little better the following season, finished 15th but famously beat ManU 5-4 early on and later beat L**ds away in the cup

After that, Danny Williams rolled up and the rest as they say is history

Perhaps explains why I hold Big Jack and Sgt Wilko is such high esteem - between 'em, they got me off the hook!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mus said:

What is the point of supporting one of the top clubs that win everything all the time. Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc. They win things on such a regular basis you get sick of cheering, There's not much to moan about when you are top by 10 points with 3 to play, obviously you will find something  but the rest of football just thinks you are a burk. Think off the expense of jetting round Europe every other week, season after season as your team of super stars wins one European trophy after another, you would be skint and never see the wife and kids or the mother in law.  It would be so boring.

Much better to support a team that's a bit cr4p, yes they will upset you, wind you up and drive you mad but you can have a right good moan to your mates. Cheap to go to Barnsly and the mini pigs and the like. Every time there is a down moment where we play rubbish just makes the few times we play like heros just that little bit sweeter. A little bit of success can go a long way when you are desperate. There can be as much joy in avoiding the drop as in failing in the play offs.

Chin up.lol

• Like 5