Garry Monk OMDT

Although admittedly not among my preferred choices, I can see the reasoning behind appointing him, even despite a lack of promotions and the agent controversy. He's still young, despite boasting plenty of experience, he seems to me to favour a mix of Carlos and Bruce's playing styles. Despite some doubts and reservations, I hope Monk wins me over with improved more exciting performances and results. Good luck to him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Cracking post that Mlord 

Thanks, I feel better now.

Me too.

Agreed about the Cowley rumour and timings.

If we had appointed Monk a week after Bruce left I would have felt quite positive....ish.

Like the bit he says about wanting "thinkers". I've always said that we are missing that in our team. 

I'm not too fussed about style of play, I just want to see us create chances and score goals. Don't care If we only have 35% possession tbh.

I'm boarding the monk train....i just wanted to have a brew in Cowley station for a bit first.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Although admittedly not among my preferred choices, I can see the reasoning behind appointing him, even despite a lack of promotions and the agent controversy. He's still young, despite boasting plenty of experience, he seems to me to favour a mix of Carlos and Bruce's playing styles. Despite some doubts and reservations, I hope Monk wins me over with improved more exciting performances and results. Good luck to him.

Exactly.On the outside, young and not much experience. But when broken down he's probably seen more sides of the game in that short window than some will in their entire careers. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Exactly.On the outside, young and not much experience. But when broken down he's probably seen more sides of the game in that short window than some will in their entire careers. 

Yep and evidenced by your thorough post, he's had a few jobs with varying degrees of success and different playing styles. His biggest success was arguably the 8th position at Swansea in the top flight, whilst his experience in the Championship didn't achieve promotion, his teams did go through spells of promotion form. If he can rekindle that promotion form on a more consistent basis, whilst mixing his impressive style at Swansea and Leeds, with the effectiveness of his time at Birmingham, then he might be a good fit here in time and with backing.

• Like 1

My (Irish) mum very often used to say, "You're never lost, you're just finding somewhere new," normally when my dad was effing and blinding somewhere in Lincolnshire on the way to Great Yarmouth...

My point is that although Bruce leaving and Bullen's more recent games as caretaker have left some feeling very flat following a wave of optimism, we now find ourselves with a new boss and a new opportunity.

Very often in life the very good stuff very often follows the crappest of circumstances and comes about through a mixture of perseverance, timing and an evening out of "luck"- There is a hell of a long way to go yet this season.  Let's get behind him and hope all this recentbollocks happened for "a reason".

IMG_8754.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He will do. I didn't think DC would go for him with the transfer question hanging over him but DC has obviously satisfied himself that isn't an issue,

I'm looking for steady form up to Christmas then maybe a bit of wheeling and dealing. If we end the saeson top half that will be the minimum that I'd find acceptable. just outside the playoffs would be decent. play offs good to very good, automatic, not even a chance despite DC's comments.

Onwards and upwards. The future starts now.

• Like 2

I've liked Monk since he was at Leeds, some of my relatives are Leeds fans, we go abroad with them every year. They were gutted when he left. Since then I've always hoped he would manage us one day. When Bruce left, same as most people, I went for Hughton. I dismissed Monk because of legal case hanging over him. When dotty started telling everyone about Rowett, I mentioned I'd much sooner have Monk, I never dreamed we'd get him.

Monk is a thinker, his teams have always done well against us. He's feisty too, and not afraid of tackling reputations and ego's

If I remember right, he likes a unit up top, at Leeds he had Wood, Monk will get the best out of Fletcher, but he will be on the look out for someone a bit more mobile, with a bit of pace and power

Buckle up boys, this is going to be one of those fun rides

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I just hope he instils into the players a winning mentality and a high press, with a strong desire to win the ball back....much like when Bruce was here. We looked so much better than when we sit deep and invite teams to run at us. 

Winning is more important than style as you never get bored of winning. Obviously both are desirable, but he could be a good fit here....time will tell.

Edited by WindygrOWLer