• Reach
    • Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Forestieri
    • Harris
    • Murphy
    • Luongo
    • Nuhiu

Lee's dropping out before kick off was not a good start, game was just a complete mess for us.

Iorfa looked like a full back playing as a make shift centre half, I think with a few games under his belt there that he'd be pretty good though.

Borner impressed me with how he tried to come for a few balls when QPR were playing a high line in an attempt to box us in, his distribution is pretty good as well.

Given it to Fletcher, mainly for the penalty, but feel like we really let ourselves down today despite the scoreline being close. 

We never looked like getting back in the game when they went 2-1 up, that troubles me. We don't seem to have an indentified style of play, I wouldn't put the blame at LB's door, he's got little support trying to do the job of managing 30+ players with not even a murmuring that we are close to appointing someone. I think the uncertainty is getting to everyone, most of all the players, some of which are not playing at full tilt. With only half a dozen games played, that's quite worrying.

I don't think QPR were up too much, Hugill aside they are about as average a side as you'll see, we certainly made them look like world beaters today.

Went for Fletcher, probably would have gone for Borner or Fox had it not been for QPR’s goals. Hugill ended up getting the better of Borner and Fox was responsible for the equaliser by passing inside and losing the ball when an easy ball to Harris on the outside was on 

Westwood - 6 - Move the flipping ball quicker 

Palmer  - 6 - Steady 

Borner - 6 - Looked to enjoy the battle with Hugill first half but ended up losing it

Iorfa - 4 - All over the place 

Fox - 5.5 - Mistake cost us the equaliser

Hutch - 5 - Too deep

Baz  - 4 - Any chance of contesting a 2nd ball

Harris- 6 - Kept going

Reach - 5.5 - Faded

Nando - 4 - Thought he was poor

Fletch - 6.5 - Best of a bad bunch 

44 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Went for Fletcher, probably would have gone for Borner or Fox had it not been for QPR’s goals. Hugill ended up getting the better of Borner and Fox was responsible for the equaliser by passing inside and losing the ball when an easy ball to Harris on the outside was on 

Westwood - 6 - Move the flipping ball quicker 

Palmer  - 6 - Steady 

Borner - 6 - Looked to enjoy the battle with Hugill first half but ended up losing it

Iorfa - 4 - All over the place 

Fox - 5.5 - Mistake cost us the equaliser

Hutch - 5 - Too deep

Baz  - 4 - Any chance of contesting a 2nd ball

Harris- 6 - Kept going

Reach - 5.5 - Faded

Nando - 4 - Thought he was poor

Fletch - 6.5 - Best of a bad bunch 

Was just about to post that re Iorfa.  He may have played in that position in the past but he looked lost today. Can't really imagine him having the composure and would much rather see him used (when necessary) as a full back.

1 hour ago, WatfordOwl said:

Lee's dropping out before kick off was not a good start, game was just a complete mess for us.

Iorfa looked like a full back playing as a make shift centre half, I think with a few games under his belt there that he'd be pretty good though.

Borner impressed me with how he tried to come for a few balls when QPR were playing a high line in an attempt to box us in, his distribution is pretty good as well.

Given it to Fletcher, mainly for the penalty, but feel like we really let ourselves down today despite the scoreline being close. 

We never looked like getting back in the game when they went 2-1 up, that troubles me. We don't seem to have an indentified style of play, I wouldn't put the blame at LB's door, he's got little support trying to do the job of managing 30+ players with not even a murmuring that we are close to appointing someone. I think the uncertainty is getting to everyone, most of all the players, some of which are not playing at full tilt. With only half a dozen games played, that's quite worrying.

I don't think QPR were up too much, Hugill aside they are about as average a side as you'll see, we certainly made them look like world beaters today.

How can you not blame Bullen for that? I haven't been overly critical of him to date but that tactical performance stands out as the best reason to make sure we have a manager in place before the next game.

We have had a defined style of play this season, prior to today - 4-3-3. it hasn't been great to watch but certainly in our two home games it had been effective. Why on earth you would then change to 4-4-2 with multiple players in positions where they haven't proved effective is beyond me. We were lucky to go in 1-0 up at half-time having lost the midfield battle due to only having 2 deep lying players in the midfield but didn't change anything and paid the price.

At that point Bullen then completely lost it and went 3-5-2 which ended up by 5-3-2 with Harris and especially Murphy playing too deep to make an impact and players looking towards the bench wondering what the hell was happening. As you say, the result of this tactical masterplan was that QPR were comfortable as the game wore on.

Yes Lees was a big miss but the formation and tactics were way off the mark. Midweek we started with Sam Winnall out wide, little wonder we made no impact in that first 45 either. 

We need a fresh start with a manager who has no ties to our players and isn't trying to give everyone a chance. This isn't under 8's football where every member of the squad gets a run out in different positions to see what they can do. Pick a formation that works with players that are most effective in the positions chosen and stick to it.  

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How can you not blame Bullen for that? I haven't been overly critical of him to date but that tactical performance stands out as the best reason to make sure we have a manager in place before the next game.

We have had a defined style of play this season, prior to today - 4-3-3. it hasn't been great to watch but certainly in our two home games it had been effective. Why on earth you would then change to 4-4-2 with multiple players in positions where they haven't proved effective is beyond me. We were lucky to go in 1-0 up at half-time having lost the midfield battle due to only having 2 deep lying players in the midfield but didn't change anything and paid the price.

At that point Bullen then completely lost it and went 3-5-2 which ended up by 5-3-2 with Harris and especially Murphy playing too deep to make an impact and players looking towards the bench wondering what the hell was happening. As you say, the result of this tactical masterplan was that QPR were comfortable as the game wore on.

Yes Lees was a big miss but the formation and tactics were way off the mark. Midweek we started with Sam Winnall out wide, little wonder we made no impact in that first 45 either. 

We need a fresh start with a manager who has no ties to our players and isn't trying to give everyone a chance. This isn't under 8's football where every member of the squad gets a run out in different positions to see what they can do. Pick a formation that works with players that are most effective in the positions chosen and stick to it.  

I agree, we need a full coaching staff on board working with the players day in day out, does Bullen have that? 

3 weeks ago he was assisting Steve Bruce and his 2 sidekicks in getting the squad ready for the start of the season, and here is now, thrust into what for him is a pretty unwanted limelight and being asked to do a job he's not had either the experience or the credentials to do. So no, I don't blame him one bit for not having any of the support afforded to his predecessor, and in some respects he's done pretty well to get a few results on the board during his 6 games in charge.

It's very easy to cite the manager's set up of the team as the reason we lost, fans have been critical of LB not having a plan B, well today he did and it didn't come off. He may have got elements of it wrong, but questions need to be asked of senior pro's at the club that are way off their best form at the minute as well. 

I'm as frustrated as you that the manager situation isn't yet resolved, if it's LB, then he needs backing with more assistance because at the moment we're in a position where we'll attract the wrong type of manager to the club and in a stressed situation, it'll lead to a bad appointment. 

The type of manager that works well in the modern game is someone who's able to have a system and recruit the players to play that system, not the other way round. That's why we'll continue to struggle regardless of who comes in and takes charge. It's also part of the reason why (given our finances) I believe we aren't as attractive a club to any 'would be's'.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

I agree, we need a full coaching staff on board working with the players day in day out, does Bullen have that? 

3 weeks ago he was assisting Steve Bruce and his 2 sidekicks in getting the squad ready for the start of the season, and here is now, thrust into what for him is a pretty unwanted limelight and being asked to do a job he's not had either the experience or the credentials to do. So no, I don't blame him one bit for not having any of the support afforded to his predecessor, and in some respects he's done pretty well to get a few results on the board during his 6 games in charge.

It's very easy to cite the manager's set up of the team as the reason we lost, fans have been critical of LB not having a plan B, well today he did and it didn't come off. He may have got elements of it wrong, but questions need to be asked of senior pro's at the club that are way off their best form at the minute as well. 

I'm as frustrated as you that the manager situation isn't yet resolved, if it's LB, then he needs backing with more assistance because at the moment we're in a position where we'll attract the wrong type of manager to the club and in a stressed situation, it'll lead to a bad appointment. 

The type of manager that works well in the modern game is someone who's able to have a system and recruit the players to play that system, not the other way round. That's why we'll continue to struggle regardless of who comes in and takes charge. It's also part of the reason why (given our finances) I believe we aren't as attractive a club to any 'would be's'.

I would agree if Bullen hadn't put his name in the hat and said he is ready for the job. Last time he was a reluctant stand in, this time he has said he wants the job and is ready. Most managers come into a job at a time when the previous manager has been sacked due to poor form, he comes in not knowing the players who are at a low ebb.

Yes Bruce left us in the lurch but Bullen had the advantage of having a better squad than last season, a couple of weeks of pre-season and knowing all the players. He also got off to a decent start which he has completely wasted.

Today he went for plan B from kick-off when plan A has been effective at home and when that didn't work he went for Plan C, which the players looked as though they had never tried before.

So many players out of position and desperation which resulted in no pressure on the away side whatsoever. 

Edited by Guest

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Missed Tom Lees massively. I guess that if he’d been injured a day before we’d have had Bates playing instead of Iorfa. I’m a huge big Dom fan and he would start every week for me at right back, but he was woeful at centre half.  

On another note, how crap was Liam Palmer? I find it amazing that the lad has turned into such a decent left back that he now looks like a fish out of water at right back! Weird!

14 hours ago, N0rtherner said:

Oh, I voted for the wrong guy. I put Fletcher because of the goal, but then immediately regretted it because Fessi pulled off the feat of ACTUALLY being awarded a penalty. For being fouled. For a penalty to Wednesday. THAT has to be the only positive today :D

not so, we've used up this season's penalty before September.

• Haha 1

Fox,Fletcher and Hutch actually looked like footballers,the rest just not interested. 

Bannan needs to be dropped,lucky not be given  a 2nd yellow yesterday,if his passing was as good as is back chat to refs then we would have 2017 Bannan back.

Westwood goalkeeping is top draw but is slowing down of the game is irritating.

Just very poor for the squad we have.

mom mmmm Fox just to upset his haters