Midfield

Just now, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

None existent today , bannan was shocking , we aren’t dictating play at all in middle of the park just sitting too deep . Not one of lee, bazza or hutch plays in the other half 

In tough away games I don’t see what value Bannan adds. I used to think he got bullied in a two but it’s in a three too. Luongo would start with Hutch and Lee for me I’m away games. 

Same against Luton.

Reach got all the flack, yet in the first half he was in there on his own, while the other 2 were chatting to Lees about his holidays, even Murphy started drifting inside, so we lose our width.

Reach, Fletch, Harris and Murphy tried to press but the gap behind them was massive so Luton just popped the ball in there.

Bannan is massively over rated in my humble opinion. Slows us down way too much. If opppsition stop him playing we dont play, and he goes too deep looking for the ball. Not saying he isn't a decent player. But for me it's time to see Hutch, Lee and Luongo in the middle of the park in a three. 

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

I suspect Luongo won't be far away from a start. 

Though apparently doesn't have a pre-seasono behind him.

He should be 2 weeks into his own private preseason now. Another 3 weeks and he should be good to go. Can we wait that long?

Guest LittleG
7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s as if relying on the same midfield that failed us at Wembley over 3 years ago is still good enough...

Fully agree. We've all been say I g that we want a beast in midfield and we end up back with these three. Hutch and BB play too deep and, if everybody's honest, Lee is not back to the player he was. Hes not the strongest in the tackle, nor is he making those late runs into the box. 

Guest LittleG
14 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

In tough away games I don’t see what value Bannan adds. I used to think he got bullied in a two but it’s in a three too. Luongo would start with Hutch and Lee for me I’m away games. 

It's not only BB that gets bullied, Lee does as well. We have still not signed the dominant midfielder we've all been crying out for; unless it's Luongo.

19 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

None existent today , bannan was shocking , we aren’t dictating play at all in middle of the park just sitting too deep . Not one of lee, bazza or hutch plays in the other half 

Bullens got them scared to show up for away games, they are getting nose bleeds looking at the table lol

13 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Bannan is an excellent player but needs to be in the oppositions half or have an open pitch.

If he is put under pressure he drops deeper and deeper. We need to utilise the opposition leaving space behind, when they close BB down.

This^^^ i hate it when he's dropping too deep to get the ball, he's so much more effective further forwards with people making angles for him

Personally think playing 2 out & out wingers leaves us too thin in the middle, particularly away from home. Granted Bannan hasn't reached his usual standards yet this season but making a scapegoat of our best & most productive player over the last 3 seasons is ridiculous. Today's issue was more down to the system. 

If you're going to play 4-4-3, then the central midfielders have got to be getting into that final third and making things happen.

Lee and Bannan were non existent today. Time for Luongo to get his chance.

• Haha 1