Conflicted

Firstly, I’m happy with another win tonight.

the game itself reminded me a bit of the Barnsley game in that it was a fairly close contest in the first, but we seemed to step it up in the second half and hassled them a lot more, showing a gulf in class. 

as some will know, I’ve not been convinced with the idea of sticking with Bully going forwards, and to be honest, I’m still very conflicted.

on the one hand, we’ve had noticeable kicks up the arse in the second halves against Barnsley and Luton which shows he is obviously motivating them...

the flip-side is that I wonder if we are simply the product of a decent team with a very favourable schedule that is ticking over with Bullen at the helm.

i’m still sceptical... I’d still probably take Hughton or the Cowley brothers, but Bullen isn’t doing much wrong at the minute... So I don’t know what to say really?

does anyone else feel conflicted? 

Either way, a great start to the season.

• Like 3

No.

Best start to a season under DC's reign as chairman.

Noone should doubt giving bullen the role - it was always his to lose.

We were a lot better 2nd half, not perfect, but we are getting results.

That's down to bully and the players pulling together.

1 minute ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

This favourable schedule easy start is a load of nonsense, there are no easy games in this league and this early in the season you can't say who an 'easier' game is.

Agreed.  A much more fancied side like Leeds, WBA or Fulham will drop points away at places like Millwall.  This league is never as straightforward as it seems. 

4 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

This favourable schedule easy start is a load of nonsense, there are no easy games in this league and this early in the season you can't say who an 'easier' game is.

Christ

2nd time I’ve agreed with you this month...

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, standerino said:

Firstly, I’m happy with another win tonight.

the game itself reminded me a bit of the Barnsley game in that it was a fairly close contest in the first, but we seemed to step it up in the second half and hassled them a lot more, showing a gulf in class. 

as some will know, I’ve not been convinced with the idea of sticking with Bully going forwards, and to be honest, I’m still very conflicted.

on the one hand, we’ve had noticeable kicks up the arse in the second halves against Barnsley and Luton which shows he is obviously motivating them...

the flip-side is that I wonder if we are simply the product of a decent team with a very favourable schedule that is ticking over with Bullen at the helm.

i’m still sceptical... I’d still probably take Hughton or the Cowley brothers, but Bullen isn’t doing much wrong at the minute... So I don’t know what to say really?

does anyone else feel conflicted? 

Either way, a great start to the season.

I know what you’re saying but hughton can fornicate right off

• Like 1

Not really. I’ve followed us too long to become overly confident or negative.

You have to go with the flow - try to keep level headed. It’s a lottery.

Otherwise, following the Owls can lead to a ruinous life.

If in doubt - watch the 66 Cup Final again (I never have). 

Que sera, sera.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Well apart from playing 2 newly promoted teams, a team that looked like relegation fodder and an average team of cloggers...

Guest domSWFC

With players like Harris, Murphy, and Reach we're always going to have a bit of threat to create a chance which could win us the game. 

But tactically, we don't seem to have enough ideas to suss teams out. Millwall and Luton largely nullified us. The more games we play, the more teams know about us too, so doing so could become easier. That's my biggest worry. 

But then on the other side, we have scraped a couple of wins against opponents setting up like this, maybe the more ambitious teams who come to play, may play into our hands more. 

For me, I think it's time to get in a permanent manager. 

Given this is a new manager with some new players I think there are positive signs.  Some areas of concern for me are ...

- the high press.  When it works it looks great, but we aren't doing it properly and both Barnsley and now Luton have played their way out of it in triangles to put us under pressure, and better teams will murder us if we don't learn.  Watch Man City as they are the masters of it, but their holding midfielder won't press like Hutch was today, someone needs to cover in case the other team escape the press.

- Left back.  Fox didn't do too badly defensively but his distribution was woeful, and that is where I think we have missed a trick recruitment wise.  We have three comfortable right backs, more if you include Hutch and Lee, yet all we have at left back is Fox and Palmer, who isn't really a left back, and we really need to strengthen in that area.

- Players decisions.  First half even our better players couldn't pass to each other.  Doesn't matter who the manager is, if players see an easy pass and then make a total mess of it, or have an easy cross and put it behind, that is down to players and not managers or tactics.  And our better ball players were guilty of this in the first half.

12 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

No.

Best start to a season under DC's reign as chairman.

Noone should doubt giving bullen the role - it was always his to lose.

We were a lot better 2nd half, not perfect, but we are getting results.

That's down to bully and the players pulling together.

What's it got to do with craig Noone lol

• Haha 1