Sol Campbell

3 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

I’ll say this as my option of Sol Campbell, I don’t want him anywhere near our club. He comes across as an awful person. Beyond arrogant, comes across shocking! I live football and have heard him prattle on and talk nonsense for years. Some of the things he’s come out with have been out of order and pure bull poo! 

I would say being arrogant and being a bit of a wee pipe can be a big advantage being a manger.
Warnock, Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Van Gall all come across as arrogant.
Think it helps having a big ego.

Wouldn't want Sol Campbell as manager, not got enough experience and you get the impression would be off after a couple of bad results.

1 minute ago, Matthew Thomas said:

Just playing devil’s advocate.

Scenario A: A former Champions League, World Cup level player who captained at the very top comes in and has no connection to the club and fails. He quits/sacked after 8 months and Bullen stays on as coach.

Scenario B: Bullen is given the job, he has less experience than the ex top level player but is a fan favourite at the club, he fails after 6 months and is sacked/quit and leaves the club after many years.

Realistically would you prefer A or B? Working on a premise both are unsuccessful (just for the purposes of this. I think people May be overlooking the outcome of Bully failing and if he is then forced to leave the club.

I see what you are saying, and yes both could fail, but I think if Bullen’s value to club, is what we believe it to be, then he would still have a position at Wednesday, unless he chose to leave.  Having had a go at management, he may feel he must look for another opportunity, or he may just think, management isn’t for me.  It’s not because Bullen is a legend at Wednesday, I’d question whether he is, that I’m happy with him in the hot seat  It’s more to do with the competence he’s showing since taking the reins, albeit on a temporary basis, so far. Were an obviously better suited candidate to emerge, then perhaps we might overlook Bullen’s claims.  At the moment, like Bruce, Bullen is proving to be a safe hand on the tiller, so I’m happy to stick with him

12 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

What's it got to do with Race? Has anyone said that?

Is he the only manager we don't want or summat?

Race in football is VERY prevalent, whether someone has stated it or not - you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that.

Its funny how a manager that was successful is not wanted but other managers with less on their record are wanted. 

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I see what you are saying, and yes both could fail, but I think if Bullen’s value to club, is what we believe it to be, then he would still have a position at Wednesday, unless he chose to leave.  Having had a go at management, he may feel he must look for another opportunity, or he may just think, management isn’t for me.  It’s not because Bullen is a legend at Wednesday, I’d question whether he is, that I’m happy with him in the hot seat  It’s more to do with the competence he’s showing since taking the reins, albeit on a temporary basis, so far. Were an obviously better suited candidate to emerge, then perhaps we might overlook Bullen’s claims.  At the moment, like Bruce, Bullen is proving to be a safe hand on the tiller, so I’m happy to stick with him

Fair enough reasoning there. My big worry is if we experiment with him and it goes all wrong fans will turn on him and he will lose the respect needed in the dressing room to even coach at the club, making a step back to the back room team impossible. Purely hypothetical obviously but it would be a big shame were it to unravel like that.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Interviews are flawed and open to bias too though. 

For example, maybe they were expecting him to be crap and confirmation bias played a part

Maybe he just feels uncomfortable in front of a room full of white people judging him as a black guy.

Its complex

Interviews are flawed and open to bias.

True. As an introvert, I often feel that they are set against me, and I've suffered accordingly. Maybe Campbell feels the same, as he's always appeared a bit reserved and sensitive to me. That said, a strong out-going personality is a key criterion in managing a top football team. Being the right colour isn't. Clubs at all levels are desperate for success: only the most overt racist chairman would turn down the best candidate because of skin colour.

The Rooney rule in US football has shown that black candidates weren't getting interviews, but when clubs were obliged to interview them, they actually did well and started getting jobs. But (I suspect) many didn't get a top job. Not because of racism but because some just aren't good enough. Just like some white candidates rant good enough. From afar, Campbell strikes me as being one of those that isn't (wasn't) manager material. He needs to prove himself, and work his way up. He was doing ok at Macclesfield so leaving after three games seems an odd move, unless he has something lined up at the next level.

1 minute ago, Tamworthowl said:

Interviews are flawed and open to bias.

True. As an introvert, I often feel that they are set against me, and I've suffered accordingly. Maybe Campbell feels the same, as he's always appeared a bit reserved and sensitive to me. That said, a strong out-going personality is a key criterion in managing a top football team. Being the right colour isn't. Clubs at all levels are desperate for success: only the most overt racist chairman would turn down the best candidate because of skin colour.

The Rooney rule in US football has shown that black candidates weren't getting interviews, but when clubs were obliged to interview them, they actually did well and started getting jobs. But (I suspect) many didn't get a top job. Not because of racism but because some just aren't good enough. Just like some white candidates rant good enough. From afar, Campbell strikes me as being one of those that isn't (wasn't) manager material. He needs to prove himself, and work his way up. He was doing ok at Macclesfield so leaving after three games seems an odd move, unless he has something lined up at the next level.

Leaving after three games? He took over last season, with the club reportedly facing major financial issues and at the foot of the Football League, went on a long unbeaten run and saved them. I suspect this season he’s fed up that he wasn’t able to move the club forward due to the financial issues so asked to leave, he has nothing but credit from the outside looking in. Unless the club come out an say anything to the contrary he’s gone there, done a job others of his high stature in the game wouldn’t and it’s a big green tick on his CV.

10 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Sol Campbell did a great job at Macclesfield, not sure why all the hatred of him on here???

People on here wanting the Cowleys - but in the same breath whinge that Campbell hasn't managed above a certain level - pot, kettle?!?!?!?!?

All managers need to cut their teeth somewhere, if Campbell went to a rival and succeeded, people on here would be whinging saying "Why weren't we in for him".

Also, if he had played minutes in a Wednesday shirt, people would be demanding him.

Really sad to see that race is rearing its ugly head once again.

What an absolutely pathetic argument you have put up there to support Campbell, and then to use the race card to try and stifle dissent. What a wánker you are.

21 minutes ago, Matthew Thomas said:

Just playing devil’s advocate.

Scenario A: A former Champions League, World Cup level player who captained at the very top comes in and has no connection to the club and fails. He quits/sacked after 8 months and Bullen stays on as coach.

Scenario B: Bullen is given the job, he has less experience than the ex top level player but is a fan favourite at the club, he fails after 6 months and is sacked/quit and leaves the club after many years.

Realistically would you prefer A or B? Working on a premise both are unsuccessful (just for the purposes of this. I think people May be overlooking the outcome of Bully failing and if he is then forced to leave the club.

I don't think we should be selecting our next manager on the basis of which candidate leaves us in the least poo when they fail.

I understand your point re Bullen being well liked and giving continuity, but if he's the most likely to get/keep us winning then he should get the job.

13 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Race in football is VERY prevalent, whether someone has stated it or not - you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that.

Its funny how a manager that was successful is not wanted but other managers with less on their record are wanted. 

If finishing 3rd bottom of the entire football league is success... fooook me, get him in the champions league

14 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Race is very prevalent i agree. But not in this case. I don;t think one person is saying they don;t want sol because he's black

We don;t want Pulis. A more successful white manager

2 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I don't think we should be selecting our next manager on the basis of which candidate leaves us in the least poo when they fail.

I understand your point re Bullen being well liked and giving continuity, but if he's the most likely to get/keep us winning then he should get the job.

Sorry but i think you have totally missed the point of my posts, I was merely asking what happens should Bully fail, hypothetically. I think it’s something he himself will have thought long and hard of, he’s a job for life here pretty much right now. That could potentially be ruined if it went south quickly.

1 minute ago, bigsheff said:

If finishing 3rd bottom of the entire football league is success... fooook me, get him in the champions league

Sometimes I wonder if people understand the game at all. You do know the off field problems at that club and how he saved them? It was a huge ask and he did it.

Campbell had a perfect opportunity at Macclesfield to show what he was made of. Often when a club is in financial difficulty, the manager is the last man standing, leading the team through difficult circumstances when the players/staff may not be getting paid. The one guy at Macclesfield who doesn't 'need' the money is Sol. He's not going home worrying about how he's going to pay the mortgage or the lecki bill. So after all his talk about not being given an opportunity, he walks out on them at their lowest ebb. 

Now maybe info will come out later to suggest other reasons, but at this moment it looks to me like he's left them in the lurch. This only supports my initial opinion of him that Sol Campbell is all about Sol Campbell, and doesn't particularly care who he's throwing under the bus 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not saying I necessarily think he deserves to get the job, but if Lampard and Gerrard can walk straight into the Derby and Rangers jobs, then it's not so crazy to suggest Campbell might get the gig at a Championship club, is it?

Him keeping Macclesfield in the league is arguably more impressive than Lampard guiding Derby to the playoffs last season.

Only just!

10 wins in 46 games at any level for me isn't good enough to warrant a Championship club with ambitions of promotion to the Premier League.

Mentioned previously, I value loyalty (hence my dislike for the manager who has just left) and Campbell treated Spurs like ****. Lampard and Gerrard have loyalty in abundance, so I'd rather either of those straight away over Campbell, before we even discuss their abilities as a manager/head coach.