Sol Campbell

1 hour ago, Jack the Hat said:

With Atkinson’s team. Didn’t do so great when his signings started to filter through though.

Don't recall Atkinson signing Warhurst, Waddle, Walker, Woods and Bright. Do you?

10 minutes ago, The Wall said:

The only person who's bothered about Sol Campbell's race, is Sol Campbell.

As has been stated, people on here pretty much unanimously wanted Chris Hughton, and race never entered the discussion. 

Even through Jos' disastrous reign, I don't remember people talking about his race. 

You can dislike a black guy without being racist. 

The views are ridiculous.

He certainly got a tune out of the Macclesfield players.

The managers of Spurs, Arsenal, Portsmouth and England certainly thought him to be an excellent leader because he was captain.

I understand people preferring other candidates but some of the comments on this thread are way over the top. Some even have an undertone of hatred towards him, which is difficult to understand in my opinion.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

13 minutes ago, Matthew Thomas said:

I feel really sorry for Campbell. He played at the very top, was arguably one of England’s best ever defenders and unlike many of his peers who wander into high profile jobs (like Lampard recently) he’s gone the long way round and proven himself in the most difficult possible scenario, a club on the brink of extinction and dropping out of the Football League. He deserves a chance at a big club, regardless of what people May think of his often eccentric personality.

I agree, just not sure I want us to be the Guinea Pig that's all!

Whilst I accept that it's a similar situation with Bullen, he has now been in charge for a total of 11 games losing just two and seems to be learning all the time. He is also part and parcel of the club and has been for years. It would be a real slap in the face to him if an equally inexperienced manager were to be appointed in his place.

Edited by Utah Owl

2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Don't recall Atkinson signing Warhurst, Waddle, Walker, Woods and Bright. Do you?

It was his judgment when not signing a big name that was the problem.

i think all of us could have told him Walker, Waddle and Bright would be good signings.

The issues were replacing Nilsson with Atherton, Worthington with Nolan, Pearson with Pearce, Palmer with Taylor etc.

11 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

i think all of us could have told him Walker, Waddle and Bright would be good signings.

The issues were replacing Nilsson with Atherton, Worthington with Nolan, Pearson with Pearce, Palmer with Taylor etc.

Was signing the likes of Bryan Robson at Man United just a fluke then? 

19 minutes ago, Matthew Thomas said:

I feel really sorry for Campbell. He played at the very top, was arguably one of England’s best ever defenders and unlike many of his peers who wander into high profile jobs (like Lampard recently) he’s gone the long way round and proven himself in the most difficult possible scenario, a club on the brink of extinction and dropping out of the Football League. He deserves a chance at a big club, regardless of what people May think of his often eccentric personality.

It's a shame Macclesfield couldn't pay him. 

It's hard to say if he could've emulated Wilder, or even Hurst or Bowyer and earn his way up the ladder.

Lampard is an odd one. With his Derby budget, he under performed a little ... Maybe if Arsenal get a transfer ban, they will appoint a Campbell & Adams dream team? 

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

Waffle, Warhurst, Bright, Bartman All Francis signings. I shan’t mention Woods

Im not suggesting Francis was anywhere near as good as Atkinson, but it’s a bit of a myth to say it was Atkinsons team when we got to two cup finals etc.

Missed  Des Walker, he wasn’t bad 

13 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

All of those players you listed wanted to leave for various reasons. Some of them as their subsequent careers show had already had the best days of their careers with us. In any club you will get good and bad signings. Francis's dealings were on a par with pretty much any manager.

Incidentally Atherton played 216 games for us, Nolan 167 games (despite injury problems later on) and Taylor although not a good fit for us played 233 times for a Villa side that at the time was pretty decent. Even Pearce managed 66 games in just two seasons so whilst not world class they weren't exactly bad signings.

Guest Jack the Hat
17 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Exactly the big name signings were no bribers, except for woods who everyone knew was bobbins.

24 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

Waffle, Warhurst, Bright, Bartman All Francis signings. I shan’t mention Woods

Im not suggesting Francis was anywhere near as good as Atkinson, but it’s a bit of a myth to say it was Atkinsons team when we got to two cup finals etc.

I heard Waffle was quite tasty!

3 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I am talking about Trevor Francis in reply to Utah. Utah was effectively pointing out that Walker, Waddle etc were Francis’ signings not Atkinson.

Ah ok. Ron did make the odd blunder but he genuinely could pick a quality player when he felt like it.

2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

All of those players you listed wanted to leave for various reasons. Some of them as their subsequent careers show had already had the best days of their careers with us. In any club you will get good and bad signings. Francis's dealings were on a par with pretty much any manager.

Incidentally Atherton played 216 games for us, Nolan 167 games (despite injury problems later on) and Taylor although not a good fit for us played 233 times for a Villa side that at the time was pretty decent. Even Pearce managed 66 games in just two seasons so whilst not world class they weren't exactly bad signings.

But the team gradually got worse, the more he spent.

As I showed years ago, the stats showed that Wednesday were continuously one of the biggest spenders in the PL. A book was produced that showed spending by clubs when taking account of football inflation.  During the PL years, the only clubs to underachieve more than Wednesday did in the 90’s were the Leeds and Newcastle teams that got relegated.

I appreciate that not all of this was Francis but he was a significant contributor.

From memory, and I’d have to dig the book out to be sure, in his final season when we finished 13th - he had the 5th biggest budget in the PL.

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

What the hell are you on about? Claiming fake racism to get something or to use as an excuse is unacceptable. It’s not a card to be played when you don’t get your way. It also makes a mock of racism itself. Only a fool would condone it 

Only a fool talks about the race card, the type who bangs on about pc gone mad and poo like that. We have all seen the horrors of racism which has seen huge discrimination and violence and many other despicable things. Yet you seek to belittle it by making a wee wee poor comparison with a made up term. 

Sol Campbell: 'I will never get a football coach job in racist UK'

Sol Campbell: FA must act over lack of black managers

Sol Campbell slams 'racist' FA - 'If I was white I would have been England captain for 10 years'

Just some of the utter shitt  he's talked in the last few years 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

But the team gradually got worse, the more he spent.

As I showed years ago, the stats showed that Wednesday were continuously one of the biggest spenders in the PL. A book was produced that showed spending by clubs when taking account of football inflation.  During the PL years, the only clubs to underachieve more than Wednesday did in the 90’s were the Leeds and Newcastle teams that got relegated.

I appreciate that not all of this was Francis but he was a significant contributor.

From memory, and I’d have to dig the book out to be sure, in his final season when we finished 13th - he had the 5th biggest budget in the PL.

Not so sure about that.

I set up a branch of the supporters club in Jersey in 94/95 and when the club was sending me some information on this, they mistakenly sent me a copy of Andy Pearce's contract detailing wages and everything! He genuinely wasn't on that much.

As for the likes of Waddle and Walker, who knows?