Sol Campbell

1 minute ago, The Wall said:

Campbell had a perfect opportunity at Macclesfield to show what he was made of. Often when a club is in financial difficulty, the manager is the last man standing, leading the team through difficult circumstances when the players/staff may not be getting paid. The one guy at Macclesfield who doesn't 'need' the money is Sol. He's not going home worrying about how he's going to pay the mortgage or the lecki bill. So after all his talk about not being given an opportunity, he walks out on them at their lowest ebb. 

Now maybe info will come out later to suggest other reasons, but at this moment it looks to me like he's left them in the lurch. This only supports my initial opinion of him that Sol Campbell is all about Sol Campbell, and doesn't particularly care who he's throwing under the bus 

Bullen team talk tomorrow to the players needs to start with. "Right lads let's keep this run going or you could have sol Campbell in charge". Job done:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MalagaOwl said:

Sol. Managed 30 games, not experienced enough for us

Lee. Managed 10 games, get him in

Just to make it clear, I am not advocating Sol

Difference is Lee has been here years knows the club, knows and has the respect of players and fans alike 

Sol is a grade A bell who only cares about Sol and if it doesn’t go his way plays the race card

If Sol wants to progress then take a job in league 1 and work his way up. All he’s done so far is moan about not getting a top job 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Difference is Lee has been here years knows the club, knows and has the respect of players and fans alike 

Sol is a grade A bell who only cares about Sol and if it doesn’t go his way plays the race card

If Sol wants to progress then take a job in league 1 and work his way up. All he’s done so far is moan about not getting a top job 

Oh I agree one hundred percent, even though I don't think Lee should actually get the job full time

13 minutes ago, MalagaOwl said:

Sol. Managed 30 games, not experienced enough for us

Lee. Managed 10 games, get him in

Just to make it clear, I am not advocating Sol

Also Bullen has been involved with coaching for some years, Sol Campbell is just beginning.

35 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

13 pages and no indication what so ever that him leaving his job has any connection to our vacant position. 

We got to 145 pages about Gary Rowet(t) with a comparable dearth of evidence.

This party's just getting started. :image:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Andrew6666 said:

Race in football is VERY prevalent, whether someone has stated it or not - you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that.

Its funny how a manager that was successful is not wanted but other managers with less on their record are wanted

Not by me they are not. They present a risk as does Sol Campbell. I can't speak for others but you can be assured that my position on this has absolutely nothing to do with race.

I think the squad is now good enough to compete for promotion and all we need is an experienced steady hand to guide us. We don't need pyrotechnics in the transfer market in January and we don't need a tactical genius to change the basics of our system. We don't need the risk of Sol Campbell regardless of how good he could be in the future. We have a shot at promotion on the basics that Bruce left us with and the players that were brought in on deadline day.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems that you are accusing those that don't want Sol Campbell of being influenced by his race. Racism is a problem in all walks of life and should be stamped out but it does nobody any favours if it is seen as being omnipresent in every job appointment. Not every white person is racist, similarly not every black person is non racist. To assume this is to be almost as blinkered as the racists themselves.

I don't want Sol simply because I don't think he is the proven safe pair of hands that we need to make the best of this particular squad of players in the coming months.I have heard him speak many times and he does not fill me with confidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Only just!

10 wins in 46 games at any level for me isn't good enough to warrant a Championship club with ambitions of promotion to the Premier League.

Mentioned previously, I value loyalty (hence my dislike for the manager who has just left) and Campbell treated Spurs like ****. Lampard and Gerrard have loyalty in abundance, so I'd rather either of those straight away over Campbell, before we even discuss their abilities as a manager/head coach.

Only just still counts! He took the reigns when they were in dire straits and guided them to safety. 8 wins in 28 league games may not seem impressive, but you need to look at it in context: Macclesfield were a newly-promoted club who sat bottom of the football league, having picked up ten points from 19 games when he took over. There were also all sorts of off-field issues going on, such as players not being paid. To keep them up was impressive in my book.

I'm not saying I want him as our manager - I'd prefer someone far more experienced, to be honest - but in a world where Lampard can take charge of Derby having managed a grand total of zero games, it's not unthinkable that Campbell might be considered.

As for his choosing to sign for Arsenal 18 years ago - that would be the least of my worries.