Sol Campbell

12 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Only a fool talks about the race card, the type who bangs on about pc gone mad and poo like that. We have all seen the horrors of racism which has seen huge discrimination and violence and many other despicable things. Yet you seek to belittle it by making a wee wee poor comparison with a made up term. 

And again what in God’s name are you banging on about ? As I’ve said I hate racism , and prejudice in any form but silly comments like that from cambell and rubbish from the ‘faux outrage’ brigade like yourself do nothing to help. The complete opposite in fact. 

Edited by james o connor

Just now, james o connor said:

And again what in God’s name are you banging on about ? As I’ve said I hate racism , and prejudice in any form but silly comments like that from cambell and rubbish from the ‘faux outrage’ brigade like yourself do nothing to help. The complete opposite in fact. 

Faux outrage brigade.

lol

Guest Bulgaria

His race has absolutely nothing to do with it. 

Chris Hughton was most fans pick, so that blows race being an issue out of the water.. Maybe it's the fact that Sol comes across as being rather uptight and seems to have a massive a chip on his shoulder.

I am guessing his strange personality is the reason he has not been offered many managerial posts, not his race.

10 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Sol Campbell: 'I will never get a football coach job in racist UK'

Sol Campbell: FA must act over lack of black managers

Sol Campbell slams 'racist' FA - 'If I was white I would have been England captain for 10 years'

Just some of the utter shitt  he's talked in the last few years 

It may seem a bit OTT, but given the stats for managers etc., he has a genuine point. Bear in mind our own BFR's off the record comments about his race.

59 minutes ago, Matthew Thomas said:

I feel really sorry for Campbell. He played at the very top, was arguably one of England’s best ever defenders and unlike many of his peers who wander into high profile jobs (like Lampard recently) he’s gone the long way round and proven himself in the most difficult possible scenario, a club on the brink of extinction and dropping out of the Football League. He deserves a chance at a big club, regardless of what people May think of his often eccentric personality.

In the context of Lampard and Gerrard then he’s had to do it the hard way. But whether it’s right to be sorry for him is different in my view as none of these players should just be able to demand a decent job over others who’ve done it the hard way. I don’t think Lampard did much at derby to suggest he’s any better than others and Gerrard has a safe job at Rangers, landed on their feet those two. 

46 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

The views are ridiculous.

He certainly got a tune out of the Macclesfield players.

The managers of Spurs, Arsenal, Portsmouth and England certainly thought him to be an excellent leader because he was captain.

I understand people preferring other candidates but some of the comments on this thread are way over the top. Some even have an undertone of hatred towards him, which is difficult to understand in my opinion.

Fair enough. Incidentally, I have pretty similar feelings about Steven Gerrard.

I only "dislike" both in the context of supporting a football team, not real life

Manager leaves League two club after 8 months. It's his first job. He had done ok but not  won promotion with them.

Why does anyone think he's the right appointment for a club with solid ambitions of promotion to the premier league?

It doesn't matter who he is does it. It's not the right choice for us at the moment.

Not sure any discussion is needed about his personality never mind anything else.

Come on lads get a grip.

9 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

Manager leaves League two club after 8 months. It's his first job. He had done ok but not  won promotion with them.

Why does anyone think he's the right appointment for a club with solid ambitions of promotion to the premier league?

It doesn't matter who he is does it. It's not the right choice for us at the moment.

Not sure any discussion is needed about his personality never mind anything else.

Come on lads get a grip.

He did better than win promotion, he took a club in financial turmoil off the foot of the table and saved their League status. Pretty sure that’s as good as his target when he signed up. We all have to start somewhere in any job.

Just now, Matthew Thomas said:

He did better than win promotion, he took a club in financial turmoil off the foot of the table and saved their League status. Pretty sure that’s as good as his target when he signed up. We all have to start somewhere in any job.

I'm not saying he didn't do a good job. I'm making the point that he hasn't had much managerial experience so far. If he weren't a name we'd heard of as a player then this discussion probably wouldn't be taking place. 

1 minute ago, Eightace said:

He's always struck me as a bit odd.

Not knocking him but he has issues and that has been a big reason he hasn't got where he wants to be.

Besides that he may well just not have a great personality.

The thing here, this thread is full of comments like “I’m not racist but...” and “not knocking him but he has issues...” He’s played in World Cups, won domestic honours, was part of arguably the best domestic club defence of all time in England. He’s a fully qualified coach, he’s seen his former team mates propelled into high profile roles in Spain, England, in world football at national level. I totally understand why he feels race is an issue, the stats bear out his concerns. And in this day and age of supposedly ‘it’s ok to not be ok’ for young men then why should people be judging his ‘issues’ rather than empathising with him and understanding his frustrations? I’m not saying I think he would be a good fit here but I do question some of the responses on this forum as to his ability.

I don’t think he helped himself by coming across as a bit of a big head. 

No ex player has a right to walk into a big job. I think Mel Morris going for Lampard was as much a publicity stunt as anything. Plus with Lampards recent connection to Chelsea it offered an opportunity to source some good loans which they did with Mount and Tomori. 

Sol is having to go the long route for now but I’m sure his turn will come. 

5 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Howard Wilkinson had very little experience when he took over us and did an incredible job.

Howard was a big character a bit like a less abrasive and more gentlemanly version of fegie. though, I hate to say it and I'm glad he didn't manage, but given the time at Leeds like fergie did at united he could have maybe created a dynesty. 

Though selling Cantona to united kind of killed it, thank goodness lol

4 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Are you against Bullen getting the job also? 

Not at all bud, I think he deep down has all the qualities to be a very good manager, he's like those I mentioned is /was always a big and strong character around the dressing room and club. 

He's been through tough times here as a player and I do think he' can defiantly step up. 

For me it's about timing and when he's taken temporary charge in the past, I don't think he was ready or confident enough to do the job. 

This time around though he's got a different demeanor, he looks confident. 

He looks like he's comfortable and not overawwed, he looks like a guy that's grown and is now ready to make the step up full time. 

Hell have learned, so much from the completely different styles of our last 3/4 managers and hopefully taken the best bits from them,so fingers crossed he can push us on and do well.