According to one report this morning he pressured the chairman into signing a load of new players this summer even though they couldnt afford it.......touch of the Harry Redknapps ?

3 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

What an absolutely pathetic argument you have put up there to support Campbell, and then to use the race card to try and stifle dissent. What a wánker you are.

How, Mrs Cowley?

54 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

Not by me they are not. They present a risk as does Sol Campbell. I can't speak for others but you can be assured that my position on this has absolutely nothing to do with race.

I think the squad is now good enough to compete for promotion and all we need is an experienced steady hand to guide us. We don't need pyrotechnics in the transfer market in January and we don't need a tactical genius to change the basics of our system. We don't need the risk of Sol Campbell regardless of how good he could be in the future. We have a shot at promotion on the basics that Bruce left us with and the players that were brought in on deadline day.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems that you are accusing those that don't want Sol Campbell of being influenced by his race. Racism is a problem in all walks of life and should be stamped out but it does nobody any favours if it is seen as being omnipresent in every job appointment. Not every white person is racist, similarly not every black person is non racist. To assume this is to be almost as blinkered as the racists themselves.

I don't want Sol simply because I don't think he is the proven safe pair of hands that we need to make the best of this particular squad of players in the coming months.I have heard him speak many times and he does not fill me with confidence.

Not at all, some have assumed this and fired personal insults. What I have stated is that RACE is prevalent in football to a massive extent and the FA are literally doing FA about it. People should be awarded jobs on merit, I don't see Campbell doing a bad job at Macclesfield (he got them to safety when they were adrift). I agree that he would be a risk, but so would all managers that we could appoint - IMO we need a young manager with new ideas.

2 hours ago, domSWFC said:

13 pages and no indication what so ever that him leaving his job has any connection to our vacant position. 

lollol 

Waiting for a Nixon update

"Sol Campbell could be in line for the SWFC Job. No approach yet made which means he might not get the job, or if offered he could accept or reject. So to summarize, he could get the job, or someone else could, or he could get a job elsewhere. "

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

What makes Campbell any more qualified than Bullen to manage at this level - I would say nothing.

2 hours ago, The Wall said:

Campbell had a perfect opportunity at Macclesfield to show what he was made of. Often when a club is in financial difficulty, the manager is the last man standing, leading the team through difficult circumstances when the players/staff may not be getting paid. The one guy at Macclesfield who doesn't 'need' the money is Sol. He's not going home worrying about how he's going to pay the mortgage or the lecki bill. So after all his talk about not being given an opportunity, he walks out on them at their lowest ebb. 

Now maybe info will come out later to suggest other reasons, but at this moment it looks to me like he's left them in the lurch. This only supports my initial opinion of him that Sol Campbell is all about Sol Campbell, and doesn't particularly care who he's throwing under the bus 

Said on the radio this morning that he hadn't been paid for 6 months and that was the main reason he left

33 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Not at all, some have assumed this and fired personal insults. What I have stated is that RACE is prevalent in football to a massive extent and the FA are literally doing FA about it. People should be awarded jobs on merit, I don't see Campbell doing a bad job at Macclesfield (he got them to safety when they were adrift). I agree that he would be a risk, but so would all managers that we could appoint - IMO we need a young manager with new ideas.

I tend to agree with you in the longer term but I really think that this is a good squad now which doesn't need new ideas. We have plenty of experience and it seems a style of play now which suits the players. We also have options other than pure pace with FF. I think we have no need to try to be clever with our appointment, just a firm and steady hand guiding them .

Should we fail again and FFP bites even harder then it may be the time for new ideas. indeed if we do get promoted it may well be that we need new ideas to have any chance of survival in the Premier League.

Like you I don't see Campbell doing a bad job at Macclesfield but I don't think it qualifies him for a chance to manage a team our size. Having seen his pundit performances on TV and other bits and pieces he comes across as a very intense character which is not what I think we need right now.

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I would say being arrogant and being a bit of a wee pipe can be a big advantage being a manger.
Warnock, Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Van Gall all come across as arrogant.
Think it helps having a big ego.

Wouldn't want Sol Campbell as manager, not got enough experience and you get the impression would be off after a couple of bad results.

He’s a whole other level. Chip on shoulder type character too.

1 hour ago, Andrew6666 said:

Absolute agree.

But his experience at Macclesfield would in no way fit him for the role at Hillsborough.

End of thread.

lol

Campbell's more likely to end up somewhere like Lincoln if they lose the Cowleys. I reckon he'll get another job in the Lower Leagues but at a club with more chance to succeed than his previous club.

2 hours ago, Andrew6666 said:

Macclesfield were adrift at the time he took over, he got them out of trouble, he did a good job. This can only be argued by people with a separate agenda . . . . . .

Which is what?

Enlighten me on my agenda? 

Does keeping a team in league two qualify as enough of a success to then take the reins of a team vying for a shot at the premier league? That’s the crux of my argument right there, I don’t think it does.

Simply put sol Campbell no thank you. Unless it's a proven manager give it to Bullen. If we taking a risk with anyone then he should be front of the que. 

15 minutes ago, bigsheff said:

Which is what?

Does keeping a team in league two qualify as enough of a success to then take the reins of a team vying for a shot at the premier league? That’s the crux of my argument right there, I don’t think it does.

I wonder if Derby thought that with a non experienced Lampard, or Chelsea come to think of it. 

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

He’s a whole other level. Chip on shoulder type character too.

Explain the chip on his shoulder.... 

2 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

I wonder if Derby thought that with a non experienced Lampard, or Chelsea come to think of it. 

Jury’s still out tbf...

They were willing to take the risk, I wouldn’t & i’d rather my club didn’t.

Personally I’d rather someone with experience like “Hughton” had taken the job, although I’m not sure how that fits with my “agenda”?

20 minutes ago, bigsheff said:

Which is what?

Does losing in the Championship play offs qualify a bloke to take over a team that's has an ambition to win the Champions League?  Chelsea presumably think so. 

It's a matter of assessing the man himself. We've seen bits of Campbell on the telly etc. We're all entitled to our opinions but in reality none of us know much about him. He could be amazing. He could be terrible. Most likely he would be something in between. Whoever gets the job  - and I don't think it will be Campbell - we have to trust Chansiri's judgement and give the new bloke time.  

Just now, bigsheff said:

Jury’s still out tbf...

They were willing to take the risk, I wouldn’t & i’d rather my club didn’t.

Personally I’d rather someone with experience like “Hughton” had taken the job, although I’m not sure how that fits with my “agenda”?

Handbag.jpg

27 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

Simply put sol Campbell no thank you. Unless it's a proven manager give it to Bullen. If we taking a risk with anyone then he should be front of the que. 

que.jpg

• Haha 4