Sol Campbell

Just want to add. He was discussed on the debate on sky sports a while who. They looked at why he started league 2 whereas the likes of Lampard and Gerrard walked into decent jobs.

The comments were apparently he’s shocking in interviews. Think how important interviews are in the real world, now back that up with having zero managerial experience and his media history. It’s no surprise the club who were 92/92 in the football league is where he ended up.

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

I agree some comments are a bit over the top.

As another poster said fans favourite for the job was Hughton. Race didn’t enter in to it.

I’ll say this as my option of Sol Campbell, I don’t want him anywhere near our club. He comes across as an awful person. Beyond arrogant, comes across shocking! I live football and have heard him prattle on and talk nonsense for years. Some of the things he’s come out with have been out of order and pure bull poo! 

Racism is rearing it’s ugly head more and more these days and is unfortunately very prevalent in football and society in general. However I will say the majority on here couldn’t give a rats arse about Sol’s race. It’s because he’s a grade A thrower!

Do you know much about him or just watched him play and done a quick wiki search?

Just for your information, I’m black too and the above is what I think about him. 

Would class myself as non racist but your last sentence made me pull up, I've never imagined any OT poster as black.

Is that wrong?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

Just want to add. He was discussed on the debate on sky sports a while who. They looked at why he started league 2 whereas the likes of Lampard and Gerrard walked into decent jobs.

The comments were apparently he’s shocking in interviews. Think how important interviews are in the real world, now back that up with having zero managerial experience and his media history. It’s no surprise the club who were 92/92 in the football league is where he ended up.

Interviews are flawed and open to bias too though. 

For example, maybe they were expecting him to be crap and confirmation bias played a part

Maybe he just feels uncomfortable in front of a room full of white people judging him as a black guy.

Its complex

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

Would class myself as non racist but your last sentence made me pull up, I've never imagined any OT poster as black.

Is that wrong?

I don’t think it’s wrong of you but is a reflection on society and the media in particular.  Everything is pitched from a white Western European perspective - this is the thing that can be strongly argued as being wrong. 

I’d take him as part of the backroom staff. Knows everything there is to know about defending and leading a side, and has been in the game all his life.

Not for Head Coach/Manager though. I know Macclesfield will have been a tough gig, but he didn’t exactly achieve anything of note that would warrant a move to a much, much bigger job.

7 hours ago, ... said:

Just had a text, done deal so lump money him while you can. to be announced at the weekend.

Got to admire your sense of humour and resilience, gonna give you a plus.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

Is that wrong?

Can understand that mate...just look around Hillsborough on a match day and see how many black faces there are.

15 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Am I missing something, just logged on after a day off and found he is 4-1 for the job.

Fecking hope it isn't serious, awful manager, doesn't come across as a nice person in fact he comes across as a total bellend.

Shocking, disastrous appointment if true.

Explain how he's an awful manager? He pretty much worked wonders at Macclesfield. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I’d take him as part of the backroom staff. Knows everything there is to know about defending and leading a side, and has been in the game all his life.

Not for Head Coach/Manager though. I know Macclesfield will have been a tough gig, but he didn’t exactly achieve anything of note that would warrant a move to a much, much bigger job.

Who’s your pick?

Sol Campbell did a great job at Macclesfield, not sure why all the hatred of him on here???

People on here wanting the Cowleys - but in the same breath whinge that Campbell hasn't managed above a certain level - pot, kettle?!?!?!?!?

All managers need to cut their teeth somewhere, if Campbell went to a rival and succeeded, people on here would be whinging saying "Why weren't we in for him".

Also, if he had played minutes in a Wednesday shirt, people would be demanding him.

Really sad to see that race is rearing its ugly head once again.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I'm not saying I necessarily think he deserves to get the job, but if Lampard and Gerrard can walk straight into the Derby and Rangers jobs, then it's not so crazy to suggest Campbell might get the gig at a Championship club, is it?

Him keeping Macclesfield in the league is arguably more impressive than Lampard guiding Derby to the playoffs last season.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Sol Campbell did a great job at Macclesfield, not sure why all the hatred of him on here???

People on here wanting the Cowleys - but in the same breath whinge that Campbell hasn't managed above a certain level - pot, kettle?!?!?!?!?

All managers need to cut their teeth somewhere, if Campbell went to a rival and succeeded, people on here would be whinging saying "Why weren't we in for him".

Also, if he had played minutes in a Wednesday shirt, people would be demanding him.

Really sad to see that race is rearing its ugly head once again.

What's it got to do with Race? Has anyone said that?

Is he the only manager we don't want or summat?

Just now, gurujuan said:

Not for me, he doesn’t strike me as the person who would massively improve our chances of promotion, and that would be the only type of candidate I would choose over Bullen. 

Just playing devil’s advocate.

Scenario A: A former Champions League, World Cup level player who captained at the very top comes in and has no connection to the club and fails. He quits/sacked after 8 months and Bullen stays on as coach.

Scenario B: Bullen is given the job, he has less experience than the ex top level player but is a fan favourite at the club, he fails after 6 months and is sacked/quit and leaves the club after many years.

Realistically would you prefer A or B? Working on a premise both are unsuccessful (just for the purposes of this. I think people May be overlooking the outcome of Bully failing and if he is then forced to leave the club.

Support for Bullen has probably increased significantly if Campbell is second favourite. Can't understand people saying Campbell's a bad manager though as he did really well at Macclesfield and probably left as he has not been paid for four months. He deserves a step up but not to Championship level just yet.  

• Like 1