Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

The views are ridiculous.

 

He certainly got a tune out of the Macclesfield players.

 

The managers of Spurs, Arsenal, Portsmouth and England certainly thought him to be an excellent leader because he was captain.

 

I understand people preferring other candidates but some of the comments on this thread are way over the top. Some even have an undertone of hatred towards him, which is difficult to understand in my opinion.

 

I agree some comments are a bit over the top.

 

As another poster said fans favourite for the job was Hughton. Race didn’t enter in to it.

 

I’ll say this as my option of Sol Campbell, I don’t want him anywhere near our club. He comes across as an awful person. Beyond arrogant, comes across shocking! I live football and have heard him prattle on and talk nonsense for years. Some of the things he’s come out with have been out of order and pure bull poo! 

 

Racism is rearing it’s ugly head more and more these days and is unfortunately very prevalent in football and society in general. However I will say the majority on here couldn’t give a rats arse about Sol’s race. It’s because he’s a grade A thrower!

 

Do you know much about him or just watched him play and done a quick wiki search?

 

Just for your information, I’m black too and the above is what I think about him. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just want to add. He was discussed on the debate on sky sports a while who. They looked at why he started league 2 whereas the likes of Lampard and Gerrard walked into decent jobs.

 

The comments were apparently he’s shocking in interviews. Think how important interviews are in the real world, now back that up with having zero managerial experience and his media history. It’s no surprise the club who were 92/92 in the football league is where he ended up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

 

I agree some comments are a bit over the top.

 

As another poster said fans favourite for the job was Hughton. Race didn’t enter in to it.

 

I’ll say this as my option of Sol Campbell, I don’t want him anywhere near our club. He comes across as an awful person. Beyond arrogant, comes across shocking! I live football and have heard him prattle on and talk nonsense for years. Some of the things he’s come out with have been out of order and pure bull poo! 

 

Racism is rearing it’s ugly head more and more these days and is unfortunately very prevalent in football and society in general. However I will say the majority on here couldn’t give a rats arse about Sol’s race. It’s because he’s a grade A thrower!

 

Do you know much about him or just watched him play and done a quick wiki search?

 

Just for your information, I’m black too and the above is what I think about him. 

 

 

 

Would class myself as non racist but your last sentence made me pull up, I've never imagined any OT poster as black.

 

Is that wrong?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

Just want to add. He was discussed on the debate on sky sports a while who. They looked at why he started league 2 whereas the likes of Lampard and Gerrard walked into decent jobs.

 

The comments were apparently he’s shocking in interviews. Think how important interviews are in the real world, now back that up with having zero managerial experience and his media history. It’s no surprise the club who were 92/92 in the football league is where he ended up.

 

Interviews are flawed and open to bias too though. 

 

For example, maybe they were expecting him to be crap and confirmation bias played a part

 

Maybe he just feels uncomfortable in front of a room full of white people judging him as a black guy.

 

Its complex

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

 

Would class myself as non racist but your last sentence made me pull up, I've never imagined any OT poster as black.

 

Is that wrong?

 

If nothing else maybe it helps you to understand a little more about unconscious bias

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Very strange character 

I can’t quite put my finger on it but I feel that there is something a little different about him. I don’t know what it is - I can’t work it out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

 

Would class myself as non racist but your last sentence made me pull up, I've never imagined any OT poster as black.

 

Is that wrong?

I don’t think it’s wrong of you but is a reflection on society and the media in particular.  Everything is pitched from a white Western European perspective - this is the thing that can be strongly argued as being wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I missing something, just logged on after a day off and found he is 4-1 for the job.

Fecking hope it isn't serious, awful manager, doesn't come across as a nice person in fact he comes across as a total bellend.

Shocking, disastrous appointment if true.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d take him as part of the backroom staff. Knows everything there is to know about defending and leading a side, and has been in the game all his life.

 

Not for Head Coach/Manager though. I know Macclesfield will have been a tough gig, but he didn’t exactly achieve anything of note that would warrant a move to a much, much bigger job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ... said:

Just had a text, done deal so lump money him while you can. to be announced at the weekend.

 

Got to admire your sense of humour and resilience, gonna give you a plus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

 

Would class myself as non racist but your last sentence made me pull up, I've never imagined any OT poster as black.

 

Is that wrong?

Can understand that mate...just look around Hillsborough on a match day and see how many black faces there are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Am I missing something, just logged on after a day off and found he is 4-1 for the job.

Fecking hope it isn't serious, awful manager, doesn't come across as a nice person in fact he comes across as a total bellend.

Shocking, disastrous appointment if true.

Explain how he's an awful manager? He pretty much worked wonders at Macclesfield. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I’d take him as part of the backroom staff. Knows everything there is to know about defending and leading a side, and has been in the game all his life.

 

Not for Head Coach/Manager though. I know Macclesfield will have been a tough gig, but he didn’t exactly achieve anything of note that would warrant a move to a much, much bigger job.

 

Who’s your pick?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sol Campbell did a great job at Macclesfield, not sure why all the hatred of him on here???

 

People on here wanting the Cowleys - but in the same breath whinge that Campbell hasn't managed above a certain level - pot, kettle?!?!?!?!?

 

All managers need to cut their teeth somewhere, if Campbell went to a rival and succeeded, people on here would be whinging saying "Why weren't we in for him".

 

Also, if he had played minutes in a Wednesday shirt, people would be demanding him.

 

Really sad to see that race is rearing its ugly head once again.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I’d take him as part of the backroom staff. Knows everything there is to know about defending and leading a side, and has been in the game all his life.

 

Not for Head Coach/Manager though. I know Macclesfield will have been a tough gig, but he didn’t exactly achieve anything of note that would warrant a move to a much, much bigger job.

 

I'm not saying I necessarily think he deserves to get the job, but if Lampard and Gerrard can walk straight into the Derby and Rangers jobs, then it's not so crazy to suggest Campbell might get the gig at a Championship club, is it?

 

Him keeping Macclesfield in the league is arguably more impressive than Lampard guiding Derby to the playoffs last season.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not for me, he doesn’t strike me as the person who would massively improve our chances of promotion, and that would be the only type of candidate I would choose over Bullen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Sol Campbell did a great job at Macclesfield, not sure why all the hatred of him on here???

 

People on here wanting the Cowleys - but in the same breath whinge that Campbell hasn't managed above a certain level - pot, kettle?!?!?!?!?

 

All managers need to cut their teeth somewhere, if Campbell went to a rival and succeeded, people on here would be whinging saying "Why weren't we in for him".

 

Also, if he had played minutes in a Wednesday shirt, people would be demanding him.

 

Really sad to see that race is rearing its ugly head once again.

What's it got to do with Race? Has anyone said that?

Is he the only manager we don't want or summat?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gurujuan said:

Not for me, he doesn’t strike me as the person who would massively improve our chances of promotion, and that would be the only type of candidate I would choose over Bullen. 

 

Just playing devil’s advocate.

 

Scenario A: A former Champions League, World Cup level player who captained at the very top comes in and has no connection to the club and fails. He quits/sacked after 8 months and Bullen stays on as coach.

 

Scenario B: Bullen is given the job, he has less experience than the ex top level player but is a fan favourite at the club, he fails after 6 months and is sacked/quit and leaves the club after many years.

 

Realistically would you prefer A or B? Working on a premise both are unsuccessful (just for the purposes of this. I think people May be overlooking the outcome of Bully failing and if he is then forced to leave the club.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...