Lee Johnson

With the news that Chris Hughton is not interested in joining us, should we pursue him and attempt to change his mind, or maybe look at somebody younger who is doing well and may appreciate the challenge of taking up a club of our (once massive) stature.

How much compo would it cost to get Lee Johnson in as manager and would he be worth it?

His dad was a very good manager, but I reckon that Lee, given the right backing, could be a huge success for us. Bristol City have slowly turned around and crept up the division in the last 4 seasons that he has been in charge. They were 18th 4 seasons back, then 17th, then 11th and last season finished 8th. I reckon that with the squad we have, Lee could take us that last step into the top 6. With a couple more players, he could get us in the top 2 maybe?

Rather than taking a gamble on some of the wannabe manager muppets being mentioned like Olly, Zola etc I would much rather go for a good solid one like Lee (or possibly Gary Rowett).

I wouldn't mind the club taking a punt on Lee Johnson, young, hungry and a nice style of football.

Maybe him and us can help each other achieve success and get to the premier league.

Not a bad shout but I'm not sure he'd come to us.

• Like 2

Chansiri likes out of work Managers, so I don't see him pursuing any coach with a job. If he draws a blank in his recruitment drive due to the lack of quality candidates or cos he gets the knock back, then that could change his mind. But I suspect that he'd give Bullen a go rather than pay compo

No way would Lee Johnson choose to leave ‘his’ club. As a former player he loves Bristol City and even if a lower PL club came for him he’d turn them down. He admits he wants to manage in the PL but ‘with Bristol City’.

Add to that he lives locally, his young daughter goes to a local school and he has a property empire in one of the more elite areas of Bristol in Clifton.

Plus.......he owes a debt of gratitude to our owner Steve Lansdown who refused to sack him when City were struggling in and around the drop zone two seasons ago. Since then he’s made progress in terms of league position in the two seasons since. Johnson is a deep thinker about the beautiful game and a really clever guy - far more insightful than his father was who in all fairness was a one trick pony.

Edited by Alan Robinson
  • Thanks 2

Wouldn't leave Brizzle.

Also signed a 4 year contract (IIRC) not so long ago so would demand a ridiculous fee.

No thanks.

No. A manager wouldn't leave a club this close to the season. Totally unprofessional. :ph34r:

Also i think:

1. He wouldn't leave Bristol

2. Bristol would not let him leave and our legal team already have FFP, Bruce and now this?? Too much i reckon. Stick to unemployed or Bullen for now.

Never rated him. Goes through weird big losing and winning spells. Collapsed last year too. Bit of a weird bloke with small close together eyes. He's another one in the Karl Robinson v neck cardigan type of manager category for me. All talk about new ideas and ways of thinking but ultimately a bit meh. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Never rated him. Goes through weird big losing and winning spells. Collapsed last year too. Bit of a weird bloke with small close together eyes. He's another one in the Karl Robinson v neck cardigan type of manager category for me. All talk about new ideas and ways of thinking but ultimately a bit meh. 

Ha!  Never judge a book by its cover!. However you’re quite that he does have impressive runs followed by unimpressive runs of poor results. 

No no doubt he’ll be looking to break that cycle this upcoming season.