Holloway

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Small time Manager. Needs to be managing a team playing the underdog.

We need someone who is bigger than us.

You see, I can understand this viewpoint but I still don't agree with it.

Maybe you are thinking Atkinson.

I don't believe he was bigger than Wednesday.

He was larger than life though, and he did small things that made a difference.   Like putting on a comedian on the journey to London for the players.   Like always singling out Palmer for criticism as a joke, but then giving in to Palmer's whim of having a half time cuppa, strong, not very milky and a sugar.    Atkinson also knew some of his stars had flaws and he allowed them to have them.   Hirst, Sheridan for example would have had to change their lifestyle if they were under a stricter manager.

Two things strike me with Holloway.   He never takes coaching sessions, so he's going to need one, two, possibly three really good coaches under him to replace what went out.   Bruce was a coach, same with Jos and CC before.

Second - Holloway will alienate one or two players.    That's not a bad thing.   Jos identified that players ruled the roost.   He tried to stop it, it went belly up for him.   Bruce would have been able to manage that because of a certain amount of respect and he also didn't do stupid things like not play your best players.

Holloway?   I imagine he may be more of a Jos mentality and we could lose one or two of the big egos in the dressing room because of that - however if done correctly it may not be a bad thing.

Edited by Salmonbones

I imagine Bullen would fall on his sword if Holloway was appointed too.

Bullen can get any coaching gig he wants pretty much at this level now if he wants, but I don't think he'd really want to be under a character like Holloway.   

This is just a personal thought, I hope i'd be wrong because the players will always need someone of influence around them who is grounded - Bullen certainly is grounded and a good influence.   Holloway?   Mad as a hatter.    That doesn't mean I wouldn't get behind him or don't think he'd work however.

19 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

You see, I can understand this viewpoint but I still don't agree with it.

Maybe you are thinking Atkinson.

I don't believe he was bigger than Wednesday.

He was larger than life though, and he did small things that made a difference.   Like putting on a comedian on the journey to London for the players.   Like always singling out Palmer for criticism as a joke, but then giving in to Palmer's whim of having a half time cuppa, strong, not very milky and a sugar.    Atkinson also knew some of his stars had flaws and he allowed them to have them.   Hirst, Sheridan for example would have had to change their lifestyle if they were under a stricter manager.

Two things strike me with Holloway.   He never takes coaching sessions, so he's going to need one, two, possibly three really good coaches under him to replace what went out.   Bruce was a coach, same with Jos and CC before.

Second - Holloway will alienate one or two players.    That's not a bad thing.   Jos identified that players ruled the roost.   He tried to stop it, it went belly up for him.   Bruce would have been able to manage that because of a certain amount of respect and he also didn't do stupid things like not play your best players.

Holloway?   I imagine he may be more of a Jos mentality and we could lose one or two of the big egos in the dressing room because of that - however if done correctly it may not be a bad thing.

No.

I was thinking of Bruce. The only manager in recent times who had a stature greater than that of SWFC.

I think that’s the recipe for success.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

No.

I was thinking of Bruce. The only manager in recent times who had a stature greater than that of SWFC.

I think that’s the recipe for success.

Shame, Atkinson was better than Bruce.

There is a reason Newcastle fans are distraught at his appointment. 

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Bruce does not have a greater stature than Wednesday get real

12 trophies and a double winning captain at Man Utd tells me his stature is bigger than ours.

If you still doubt that, go and look at the media coverage of his move

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 33 said:

Did I mention we walked and talked with him all the way to the tube station after the PO Final?

Loves us

Told me the same when I rang him earlier

Said he expected to get the call this time.

Asked why he was so confident, he told me “Because the other 100 daft b’strds who applied turned it down due to the umbongo. I waited until today to tell Mr Chansiri I’d take it. The only other applicant left was Steve Bruce, who wants to come back, but Mr C told him to do one”.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, McRightSide said:

12 trophies and a double winning captain at Man Utd tells me his stature is bigger than ours.

If you still doubt that, go and look at the media coverage of his move

He is a lower premier league manager / top championship manager. The media coverage has been big because it has shocked and disgusted Newcastle fans precisely because he isn't a big enough name for them! And that is Newcastle who have been relegated a couple of times in recent history! 

Basing trophies won in a playing career is a joke, by that logic Jonathan greening is bigger than Wednesday too seeing as he was part of the champions league winning squad.

Guest Jack the Hat
20 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Small time Manager. Needs to be managing a team playing the underdog.

We need someone who is bigger than us.

NO ONE is bigger than us. We are massive. What's wrong with you?

5 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Always said if I was rich and buying the club, I'd have him as our manager

Wants to win and passion for the game, and an understanding of the fans.

I'd be delighted if he was given a chance.

If i was rich and wanted to buy a club ,i'd buy it off ya and fire him,get somebody more relevant.