Despite Everything

Despite everything going on with the Steve Bruce situation, I’m still feeling confident.

We have a great squad of players, and they’re fitter, more organised, and more confident than ever. We can thank Bruce and his coaching staff for that.

Players are quite resilient, and are used to managers coming and going, so a good start, is still perfectly possible even if Bruce leaves.

The key will be to bring in another manager (if Bruce leaves), who knows the Championship well, a manager who eases himself in gently, not making revolutionary changes, concentrating on maintaining a status quo until the point that it becomes apparent that change is absolutely required.

The last thing we need is a major overhaul at this point of our preparations for this season.

Thank you to Steve Bruce and his team for restoring confidence and organisation to our squad, but if it is time to part ways, then so be it.

Rather than despair, it is worth pointing out that despite this diversion which we could’ve done without, it doesn’t alter the fact that we’re better placed for a good season than we have been for some time.

Let’s maintain calm and a focused view on promotion whoever may lead us. We have an excellent chance of doing well with or without Steve Bruce.

Edited by theowlsman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

Despite everything going on with the Steve Bruce situation, I’m still feeling confident.

We have a great squad of players, and they’re fitter, more organised, and more confident than ever. We can thank Bruce and his coaching staff for that.

Players are quite resilient, and are used to managers coming and going, so a good start, and a good season, are still perfectly possible even if Bruce leaves.

The key will be to bring in another manager (if Bruce leaves), who knows the Championship well, a manager who eases himself in gently, not making revolutionary changes, concentrating on maintaining a status quo until the point that it becomes apparent that change is absolutely required.

The last thing we need is a major overhaul at this point of our preparations for next season.

Thank you to Steve Bruce and his team for restoring confidence and organisation to our squad, but if it is time to part ways, then so be it.

Rather than despair, it is worth pointing out that despite this diversion which we could’ve done without, it doesn’t alter the fact that we’re better placed for a good season than we have been for some time.

Let’s maintain calm and a focused view on promotion whoever may lead us into this new season. We have an excellent chance of doing well this season with or without Steve Bruce.

My thoughts as well, there is no need for a major overhaul

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

My thoughts as well, there is no need for a major overhaul

If anything, that could cause disharmony.

We’ve prepared carefully thus far for the start of this campaign and are ready for a proper assault on the league.  

An experienced manager with a calm head, and not a revolutionary, is required if Bruce goes

What Steve Bruce has done for us in a short space of time is remarkable really, he really pulled it all together and inspired the players to perform, so we need to be mindful about that.

The main benefit of his tenure however is that it gave Mr C the opportunity to realise the benefit of employing an experienced Championship manager albeit one of the most successful ones of recent seasons. I think Mr C took that onboard.

32 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Players are quite resilient, and are used to managers coming and going, so a good start, is still perfectly possible even if Bruce leaves.

The last thing we need is a major overhaul at this point of our preparations for this season.

Let’s maintain calm and a focused view on promotion whoever may lead us. We have an excellent chance of doing well with or without Steve Bruce.

I was thinking exactly the same. It’s not like we’re in dire straits. The deadwood has been cut out of the squad and the only real question mark player wise is Jordan Rhodes.

If Bruce goes the a good English manager that knows this league is a must as the next appointment. Steady evolution not radical revolution. 

I think players are used to, and prepared to, play for at least two different managers over a course of a season.

They will be disappointed though, especially the ones who have just come in.

I expect a slow start, then just missing out on the top 6 as the new guy makes his mark on the team.

Lets face it, teams lose managers before Christmas so we are almost at an advantage having to make the change before we kick a ball in anger. 

good point about the current squad - but situation needs to be sorted asap to attract those players we have been in discussions with -

they are buying into a club with managers visions and not one when the manager is on his way 

i am sure the chairman is working on replacements as we speak ... so let’s get it done and move on. Steve Bruce moving on is just business, not even in the same league as when Atkinson left 

This morning, I’ve started to think Bruce might stay mind. 

Some humble pie required, but I think he’d be daft to leave thinking about it. But then again, I’m biased, and not the one being offered a managerial position in the Premier League.

We do appear more stable, settled and have more strength and depth in key areas, and with a good manager who knows this league.

However, we still need more strength and depth in certain areas (center midfield and left full back), and hopefully this will be addressed in the coming weeks. 

Replace SB with someone who essentially continues the good work and is able to gain the buy-in and respect of the players and it shouldn't be too much of a disturbance, providing it's done quickly - next week is critical in this.

• Like 1

If Bruce stays, he could still be the right man for the job and if he goes it might not be such a bad thing, as he's prepared the foundations here in a similar way as he did at Villa. If he does go or quits, then instead of going for someone else near the end of their career, I'd go for a more forward thinking long term appointment (such as a Alex Neil or Daniel Stendel type) to be our Dean Smith to finish the job Bruce started. 

Also thinking about this situation and the Bruce appointment, the one chap who is coming out of this looking good and respectful is DC. He seems to be learning from the mistakes of the past and he's now looking like a steady, strong, long term leader.