The Great Mick Lyons

1 minute ago, Colin Dobson said:

Further to my original post that may be the only favour we’ve had from Everton! Think of Catterick, 1966, Peter Reid(a done deal from what I read - he was supposed to have dodgy knees after all!) until Kendall stepped in. Plus several other disappointments too numerous to mention.

Supposedly Gary Lineker from Leicester also although Lineker has dismissed this. 

Back in 84/85 I was in the Pack Horse in High Green one mid week night with some fellow Owls when in walk Mike Lyons and Lee Chapman. Both big men on the pitch they were like giants in the little tap room that used to be off to the left of the front door. Anyway they stayed about an hour sinking three or four pints each while chatting away and almost absentmindedly doing the quiz. They left before the answers so we marked their sheet and found they had correctly answered just about every question. Not only footballing heroes to our group of star struck teenagers but clever as well!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Makes me laugh when people call Hutchinson a 'Warrior', he is complete pussycat compared to players from 30 years ago with players like Mick Lyons.
None of this faking injury trying to get a player booked or sent off b******s either!

I would have loved to see Hutchinson play in the eighties, he would've fitted right in. He's a toned-down version of a warrior because you can't tackle these days but if he'd played in the eighties he'd have been a right nutcase. 

43 minutes ago, Nut said:

I would have loved to see Hutchinson play in the eighties, he would've fitted right in. He's a toned-down version of a warrior because you can't tackle these days but if he'd played in the eighties he'd have been a right nutcase. 

His body wouldn't have been able to stand more than 20 minutes of 80s football before limping off injured.

So no different from todays football really.

Edited by matthefish2002

Remember seeing him in The Museum (now orchard Square) in town on the players christmas night out 83 and by heavens he was a handsome specimen...............every woman in the place was transfixed , including the girl i was with, who did have the good grace to warn me that if he so much as looked in her direction then i may as well get the next bus home.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Makes me laugh when people call Hutchinson a 'Warrior', he is complete pussycat compared to players from 30 years ago with players like Mick Lyons.
None of this faking injury trying to get a player booked or sent off b******s either!

We were playing Liverpool in a cup game at Hillsborough. Three minutes in off the ball, Graeme Souness Runs over to Mick Lyons and rakes his studs down Mick's shin from knee to ankle. Of course neither the ref nor lino see a thing. Mick goes off has it stitched back up and is back on 5 minutes later. The game ended up 2-2 I think. Even to this day when I see Souness on TV I remember that and what a complete thug he was, and how tough Mick Lyons was to just get on with it.

Edited by mark1948
punctuation
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, brian joicey said:

my no.1 owl ever ..... no words needed (just look at that picture,that was his 'mission statement' for every match) 

My favourite Wednesday captain ever. Came to us in the twilight of his career and gave 110% every game for the next 3 seasons. He was exactly the right man at the right time.

Legend doesn't even begin to do him justice.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, M Royds said:

Dyz9OzcX0AAyonW.jpg

Sorry to quote myself but this picture should be pinned up somewhere of prominence at the Stadium. Perhaps the home dressing room or at the tunnel entrance. 

It encapsulates an heroic sportsman going on with his sport with courage and bravery. 

Would love to know which game it was. I may have been there myself. 

Nothing unusual to Mick as the story of him having stitches on a gash  through his torn sock, after a challenge from Souness, has gone down in Wednesday folklore. 

I also remember a match where Mick got a boot to the head. Got up and carried on. I was open mouthed at the time. 

Edited by M Royds

6 hours ago, M Royds said:

Dyz9OzcX0AAyonW.jpg

It’s a great picture. As someone said earlier, never has a player been more aptly named. He’s also wearing probably my favourite ever Wednesday away kit. 

There’s also a great picture on here somewhere of Mick leading the players on a pre season run through Longley Park. Someone please post it in this thread.

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

Remember seeing him in The Museum (now orchard Square) in town on the players christmas night out 83 and by heavens he was a handsome specimen...............every woman in the place was transfixed , including the girl i was with, who did have the good grace to warn me that if he so much as looked in her direction then i may as well get the next bus home.

Bet they were in Josephine's later that night, the team were always in there especially on a Monday or Thursday night!

1 hour ago, M Royds said:

Sorry to quote myself but this picture should be pinned up somewhere of prominence at the Stadium. Perhaps the home dressing room or at the tunnel entrance. 

It encapsulates an heroic sportsman going on with his sport with courage and bravery. 

Would love to know which game it was. I may have been there myself. 

Nothing unusual to Mick as the story of him having stitches on a gash  through his torn sock, after a challenge from Souness, has gone down in Wednesday folklore. 

I also remember a match where Mick got a boot to the head. Got up and carried on. I was open mouthed at the time. 

my fading memory tells me it was Michael Robinson ...either way captain hero legend mick lyons 

what a signing he was, couldn't believe it when we signed him from Everton and he certainly didn't disappoint when he got here.

One of my memories was seeing him chin john Burridge at Wolves and getting sent off after Burridge drop kicked pearson in a challenge. pissed it down all night, bannister missed 2 penalties and we lost 1-0.