Moses Odubajo

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Out of those three, Palmer is the best right back, but all three could do a job if called upon.

The fact that Odubajo played RB all season in a promoted Hull side would suggest not. Nice to have options though.

39 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

The fact that Odubajo played RB all season in a promoted Hull side would suggest not. Nice to have options though.

Didn't they play with 3 centre halves.  That would mean that he played wing back.

Some right uninformed rubbish on here.

owlstalk Classic.

Anybody would think many of you didn’t even watch our play off final against Hull.

Anybody could name that back four from that season. Odubajo, Dawson, Davies, Robertson. Where has this three at the back come from? Is it just because you can’t believe Maguire didn’t get in?

And as good as Palmer was after Christmas he has never once got to the same levels as a right back as Odubajo has.

21 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Didn't they play with 3 centre halves.  That would mean that he played wing back.

Think he played RB and wing back that season (just RB whenever I saw Hull). Shows his usefulness and should give us more in the final third which we've lacked on either flank for some time now.

42 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

And as good as Palmer was after Christmas he has never once got to the same levels as a right back as Odubajo has.

Probably true. But is Odubajo still at them same levels as a right back now. Palmer is catching him up.

• Haha 2

People constantly write Liam Palmer off, I get that Odubajo has a bit about him and if he’s fit and anywhere near his previous levels he will be a great addition, but people are getting too wrapped up in the fact he’s got a bit of pace and should immediately walk into the side 

that right back slot is Liam Palmers to lose 

25 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

People constantly write Liam Palmer off, I get that Odubajo has a bit about him and if he’s fit and anywhere near his previous levels he will be a great addition, but people are getting too wrapped up in the fact he’s got a bit of pace and should immediately walk into the side 

Not sure they write Liam Palmer off to be fair. There are faults with his game though that hold him back from going up another notch or two - final third being the main one. If he was an 80s or 90s full back then he'd be held in higher regard. Unfortunately the more modern full back is recognised more for what they can offer in support just as much as what they can do defensively.

As for Odubajo walking straight into the side then that's for Bruce to decide and they have a full pre season to figure it out. It's not necessarily Palmers spot to lose because since Bruce joined us I would say Iorfa played there just as much.

11 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Not sure they write Liam Palmer off to be fair. There are faults with his game though that hold him back from going up another notch or two - final third being the main one. If he was an 80s or 90s full back then he'd be held in higher regard. Unfortunately the more modern full back is recognised more for what they can offer in support just as much as what they can do defensively.

As for Odubajo walking straight into the side then that's for Bruce to decide and they have a full pre season to figure it out. It's not necessarily Palmers spot to lose because since Bruce joined us I would say Iorfa played there just as much.

That's probably more to do with the fact that Iorfa at left back would be like a fish up a tree.

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

The way it looks now is Palmer at left back, Iorfa right back and Odubajo ahead of him on  the right of midfield. 

Iorfa and Odubajo would both be an upgrade on Palmer. How many assists did he manage last year? Any? You can be solid, but that’s only 50% of the job..

He’s even more limited offensively at left back than right back, so that’s not a long-term option either. We still need a solution there.

1 hour ago, Ronio said:

The way it looks now is Palmer at left back, Iorfa right back and Odubajo ahead of him on  the right of midfield. 

Can see Iorfa at Centre half me 

18 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Can see Iorfa at Centre half me 

It will be interesting to find out if Börner is signing with Bruce thinking he’ll be a starter, as if so we could be trying to create the below base:- 

Westwood 

Iorfa/Lees  Hector   Börner 

Odubajo                                     New 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Palmer in all honesty hasn’t been the outright choice of right-back since the day’s Stuart Gray was manager when I think he won Player of The Season? He’s not kept up that same level of performance since perhaps the second half of last season never mind improved as a player. I don’t seem him being the outright right-back choice this season either. He’s re-signed as a squad player IMO and that’s where he will do a decent job but first choice? No?

Really think Palmer was excellent last season and the best of his career for us. But with that said I still think Odubajo is a far better player overall certainly at RB. Palmer excelled at LB at times. Still desperate for another option at LB. I know Bidwell mentioned and Penney a option.

The collective (and repetitive) wisdom of the owlstalk usual suspects is that Palmer is garbage.

Yet Bruce comes in, immediately trusts him and plays him consistently to till the end of the season and offers him a two year deal.

Now a new signing (potentially) comes in and they are back telling us how everyone is better than him and he will hardly play.

Let's just wait and see. 

Depends on the system and the opposition. It's been done to death on here (because said posters are so relentless) but Palmer has plenty of qualities that other players done have.

Edited by Beholder
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beholder said:

The collective (and repetitive) wisdom of the owlstalk usual suspects is that Palmer is garbage...

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, a lot of the posters who don't massively rate Palmer (myself included) don't think that he's garbage, just that he offers virtually nothing going forward and that a modern full-back needs to have both attacking and defensive qualities.

His versatility and improved defensive qualities make him a useful squad member, but if we want to be in the top 6 next year, we need to be upgrading