Moses Odubajo

12 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

They figure he played most of his games last season on the left wing so 2+2=5

He’s a utility player, able to play both full back positions, in midfield, or even on the wing That’s useful

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

I think it is difficult to describe “ the best right back”

It all depends on what you want your full backs to do.

If someone could just clone a left footed and right footed Roland Nilsson that’ll do. 

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

While a full back has to be able to defend to the level required and I think what you mean is that Palmer is the best defensive right back of the three. This might be true but Bruce got Hull promoted with Obujado at right back.

Bruce has always liked full backs who can bomb forward all day and this is Palmer’s weakness.

He hasn’t got the stamina.

Strangely I think it will depend on how he manages to strengthen the rest of the team. 

He likes a solid spine to allow the full backs to get forward. If he brings in a better, solid defensive midfielder and gets Hector or equivalent to give us that spine I can see him going with attacking fullbacks.

If not he might have to play Palmer at fullback and Obujado wide midfield.

This is true, but whether he will play the same way here, as he did at Hull, or even Villa, I’m not sure. For him to be able to do that, there would have to be a big turn around in players, especially up front. At both clubs, the attack was spearheaded by a quick mobile centre forward. They also had goals from the wide players, think Snodgrass and Kodija, and we don’t have those type of players, unfortunately. Can you imagine Harris, Reach and Fletcher scoring that volume of goals, we’ll be lucky to get 20 goals put together

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

This is true, but whether he will play the same way here, as he did at Hull, or even Villa, I’m not sure. For him to be able to do that, there would have to be a big turn around in players, especially up front. At both clubs, the attack was spearheaded by a quick mobile centre forward. They also had goals from the wide players, think Snodgrass and Kodija, and we don’t have those type of players, unfortunately. Can you imagine Harris, Reach and Fletcher scoring that volume of goals, we’ll be lucky to get 20 goals put together

Fair points but Reach and Fletcher got 20 between them last season despite playing half a season under a manager who didn't like to play Fletcher much more than once a month.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think we will see a bigger turnover of players than we expect which is why Bruce wants more involvement. 

He wants players out to both refresh the squad and get the type of players he likes. He has said it might take more than one window to sort it  but he won’t accept Chansiri’s pace for change.

On a specific I don’t see any issue with Reach playing wide in a front three as long as the rest of the team are up to it.

His goal and assists record are fine.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair points but Reach and Fletcher got 20 between them last season despite playing half a season under a manager who didn't like to play Fletcher much more than once a month.

How many more goals can we squeeze out of them though? Fletcher has never been prolific, Reach might be able to improve a little, and Harris just doesn’t score goals. Either way, I don’t think that is an attack that will scare anyone in this division. It’s certainly no Kodija-Abraham-Snodgrass

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

How many more goals can we squeeze out of them though? Fletcher has never been prolific, Reach might be able to improve a little, and Harris just doesn’t score goals. Either way, I don’t think that is an attack that will scare anyone in this division. It’s certainly no Kodija-Abraham-Snodgrass

I agree but as you say, with the other attacking options we have it might well be the case that we don't play that way. Fletcher looked like he could chip in with plenty under Bruce and having options like Forestieri and Joao, who for all his inconsistencies had a decent minutes per goal ration last season, is not bad. 

If we do move the likes of Winnall, Rhodes and even FF or Joao on then I would expect us then to have room to bring someone else in as well.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree but as you say, with the other attacking options we have it might well be the case that we don't play that way. Fletcher looked like he could chip in with plenty under Bruce and having options like Forestieri and Joao, who for all his inconsistencies had a decent minutes per goal ration last season, is not bad. 

If we do move the likes of Winnall, Rhodes and even FF or Joao on then I would expect us then to have room to bring someone else in as well.

Yep, I must say I’m surprised we didn’t use Joao in the Kodija role last season. Think he would get a fair amount of goals from out wide. If Bruce can find better, then fair enough, but the proposed signing of Harris, doesn’t suggest we will play that way

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yep, I must say I’m surprised we didn’t use Joao in the Kodija role last season. Think he would get a fair amount of goals from out wide. If Bruce can find better, then fair enough, but the proposed signing of Harris, doesn’t suggest we will play that way

I don't think I will read too much into how we are going to play and who will be involved until the pre-season games start at least.

I went into last season with a bit of optimism based on how we finished the previous season and then we started the campaign with Hutch in attacking midfield and got away with 'only' conceding 3 at a newly promoted club. 

2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

While a full back has to be able to defend to the level required and I think what you mean is that Palmer is the best defensive right back of the three. This might be true but Bruce got Hull promoted with Obujado at right back.

Bruce has always liked full backs who can bomb forward all day and this is Palmer’s weakness.

He hasn’t got the stamina.

Strangely I think it will depend on how he manages to strengthen the rest of the team. 

He likes a solid spine to allow the full backs to get forward. If he brings in a better, solid defensive midfielder and gets Hector or equivalent to give us that spine I can see him going with attacking fullbacks.

If not he might have to play Palmer at fullback and Obujado wide midfield.

I wouldn't say that Palmer lacks stamina, it's just he's got no quality in the final third. Solid defensively and always puts in a shift, but if we want to be pushing for promotion need a bit more attacking intent, particularly when we have Fox on the other side.

5 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I wouldn't say that Palmer lacks stamina, it's just he's got no quality in the final third. Solid defensively and always puts in a shift, but if we want to be pushing for promotion need a bit more attacking intent, particularly when we have Fox on the other side.

I can't see Fox being anywhere near the team this season Penney and Bidwell will both be ahead of him plus both Palmer and Odubajo can also play on that side. 

For me the signing of Odubajo means we are exploring the possibility of moving Iorfa to CB in the longer term. 

He’s a big lad at 6’4 with a bit of pace. If we can develop him as a CB we could save millions going forward. 

With Penney at LB and maybe Bidwell coming in, we’ve definitely upgraded in the full back department. If we get Hector back to we’ll have a really solid back line. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Because he isn't suited to that role at all. Laboured on the ball, stands still most of the time and has little pace. Square peg in a round hole, like Carlos all over again. I don't mind what our formation is as long as we have players playing in their best positions. 

We do need to find more goals from the rest of the team if we play one up top or play a two up partnership system though. Fletcher is a really good target man but as Guru said, not really profilic at all. Still, comparing him/them to players who cost upwards of 12m each is a little harsh. May as well say its not Salah, Mane, Firminho. 

10 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

Because he isn't suited to that role at all. Laboured on the ball, stands still most of the time and has little pace. Square peg in a round hole, like Carlos all over again. I don't mind what our formation is as long as we have players playing in their best positions. 

We do need to find more goals from the rest of the team if we play one up top or play a two up partnership system though. Fletcher is a really good target man but as Guru said, not really profilic at all. Still, comparing him/them to players who cost upwards of 12m each is a little harsh. May as well say its not Salah, Mane, Firminho. 

Completely agree on Joao, play him between the width of the penalty area and he is a goal threat from inside and outside of the box. Shift him out wide and he looks clumsy and sulky.

I don't think we currently have a nailed on first choice RB but what we do know is that all three of Odubajo, Palmer and Iorfa can play there and have different things to offer. Bruce did say when he arrived that he wants a smaller playing squad so the versatility of all three to play at least one other position is a huge plus in the grand scheme of things. 

It's all guesswork right now and the pre season friendlies should give us a better idea.