Bruce - Norwich Bullets

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

He’s my favourite player but surely Hooper will have to go. All logic points that way. Therefore, a Rhodes-Fletcher front two is an obvious way forward. We know Rhodes can’t lead a line, but with Fletcher playing that role and Rhodes playing off him it could work well in our 442.

Rhodes and fletch, not a lot of pace there...

4 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Interesting comments about Rhodes, I've long suspected he will get a chance under Bruce and Bruce will be the man to get him firing again.

If Rhodes comes, hopefully Bruce will get him playing towards the goal and not with his back to goal, like the Clown did. 

4 hours ago, cowl said:

I strongly suspect that isn't true.

Bruce seems to say whatever he needs to say in these press conferences in order to avoid further questions - not that I blame him, it's perfectly reasonable and sensible that he want to keep his cards close to his chest.

Perhaps. I just wouldn’t be surprised if Bruce is unaware of how dire our financial situation might be. 

2 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

There isn't, but I would guess in a race, Rhodes would just about beat Hooper over 100 Metres, maybe they would both just about duck under the 4 minute mark.

Hooper does bring something else to the table along with his belly and wage packet. He can actually play, when hes fit that is.

Just now, billyblack said:

Hooper does bring something else to the table along with his belly and wage packet. He can actually play, when hes fit that is.

Much better all round player than Rhodes, but his fitness record, and the amount of games it takes to get him anything like, count massively against him, as does his wages (and box) unfortunately.

doesn't matter what strike force you have if the midfield aren't supplying them with balls, crosses and runs beyond the strikers they are going to look woeful. While ever we have Bannan and Hutchinson in central midfield looking at getting the ball on our own 18 yard line then looking for a 60yard Hollywood pass across the pitch or a 10 yard pass to either full back who in turn gives it to Westwood. The amount of times these last few seasons the ball gets upto the forwards and their only option is to go back because runners are no where to be seen. How many times have I sat on the North and shouted Palmer get down the F***ing line, same on the other side. Bottom line is we are to slow in getting from back to front and give the opposition an eternity to get back in shape. It seems to be getting better under SB but still a way to go

Edited by Simon78
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Injuries continue to bedevil us Not sure what can be done about it People were quick to blame Carlos for signing crocks, but we continue to do so Personally, I think it has more to do with what we are doing here A lot of the crocks had little or no history of injury, until they came here

CC certainly has some responsibility, numerous players were very unfit when he left and lack of intensity think let players go soft. If you have a period not doing sport and then try to return you always get injuries. I suspect that inadequate conditioning over a couple of years has clearly contributed to issues. He also brought players back too early, he is not first and will not be last to do this but it has not helped either.

If you doubt team were not fit under CC, look at when Bullen took over temporarily. In his first spell we went hell for leather in first game and none of team recovered for following games most could hardly walk. When he took over this season team held it together and it was at same intensive point of season. This shows team far better conditioned under JL than CC about only real positive he brought to club.

In addition CC trumpeted different training methods when he took over and its clear he did not understand difference in tempo between European and Championship football. Playing at a much slower pace as they do in Mediterranean countries enables players to play to an older age and does not require same level of hard training required for Norther European football.

Its possible after a full season of hard training health of some individuals will improve. The number of muscle and sinew injuries has been ridiculously high so something was clearly wrong.

4 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

'90% of the play off squad are still here.  They’re three years older and maybe it’s time we had a freshen up.'

This bit was music to my ears.

This is the stand out quote. These 90% have had their chance and although we've been in promotion form since Christmas SB knows what is needed.  We only have 5 or 6 players who we can build a promotion team around. Fans always have an inflated opinion of their own players but SB needs to be ruthless (within the inevitable constraints) and I'm sure he will be.

• Like 2

Whilst I think we can expect wholesale changes, I wonder whether we will expect a different formation next season? Bannan and Hutchinson are very good players in their own right but against good teams who play with a midfield 3, we get controlled. All the 3 top teams this season play with 3 in the middle and I wonder whether we will do this next season? 

55 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Perhaps. I just wouldn’t be surprised if Bruce is unaware of how dire our financial situation might be. 

Bruce is much smarter than most managers and knows how to handle press. Look at answers he has given over last couple of months, has made it clear knows difficulty of P&S situation, has indicated you do not have to spend a fortune and also said we may have to sell players. Also indicated in this one players 3 years older and shake up may be required.

Financial situation is not dire we are not going into administration and why are Middlesboro and Bristol City moaning. If we were being lined up with sanctions would they have moaned?

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Whilst I think we can expect wholesale changes, I wonder whether we will expect a different formation next season? Bannan and Hutchinson are very good players in their own right but against good teams who play with a midfield 3, we get controlled. All the 3 top teams this season play with 3 in the middle and I wonder whether we will do this next season? 

If and when Rhodes returns, he will have to be accommodated, he, in my opinion can only play in a 2, off a big man, therefore maybe a 3-5-2 formation may be possible?

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

The youth teams all train and play up there too don't they.

They don't seem to have all these injuries.

Obviously they're younger and more , erm, bendy, (you know what I mean) but surely if it was just the training facilities they'd be picking up their share?

Some players don't seem to get as many injuries as others Reach, Palmer, Nuhiu. Pelupessy seems ok injury wise but I seem to remember an injury not long after he joined.

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Re Rhodes, is Bruce any more of a football manager than Falke? 

I think this is as good as it gets, at this level for Jordan Rhodes

Trying to integrate him into our starting eleven, would be a backward step in my opinion 

That's not to say he can't be useful to us, in a similar way to the way Norwich use him, off the bench for the last ten minutes

Problem with that bud is. Finding a way of building a promotion side, yet being capable of sustaining a very, very expensive sub just to sit on the bench,we need to find another mug who thinks he can make Rhodes a quality goalscorer again. 

Bruce is right, I cannot remember any club having this amount of injuries. It could be the style of training foreign managers have, no doubt Bruce will sort this out pre season.

I think FF, Reach ,Winnall, Hooper etc will go to raise the money we need to buy Hector and help with general finances. We need fast wingers who can cross a ball, then if we do play with Fletcher and Rhodes they would have more opportunities to score. When Rhodes played here we hardly ever crossed the ball, things are already a lot better than under Jos.

Doubt whether Rhodes will be going to Norwich, with their current front two any other striker would struggle to get a game, so this has not helped Rhodes.

Offering Westwood and Palmer contracts would be good and a short contract with options to Lee and Penney depending on early pre season training