Bruce - Norwich Bullets

The injury conundrum is interesting. Obviously signing players that have already had long term injuries is a dangerous business which will bite you eventually. I'm not going to try to work out the percentage of injured players, who have never been injured, getting long term ones while playing with us, whilst also factoring in those who had "history" but I think it'd be surprising. Err.. does anyone understand that, i've read and changed it about 20 times and still can't figure it out *shrug*.

Upon reflection about the injuries though, you could probably expect that when you pick up a few injuries, the likelihood of other players getting injuries would only increase because more strain is put on an ever decreasing squad size. Players are more likely to be asked to play despite carrying a minor injury, for example, but then are more likely to pick up a more serious injury.

Perhaps not quite a snowball effect, but you can envisage how picking up three or four injuries to key players (something which alone could perhaps be put down to bad luck), would only increase the chances of getting more injuries, and so on.

14 minutes ago, cowl said:

I think there'll be contract offers to Palmer and Westwood for certain, but I think we'll offer Hooper something too (though probably less than he was on). The way he was talking about Lee hints that he might be here next season too.

I can see a situation where Lees contract isn’t resolved until much later on in the summer whilst he continues to demonstrate fitness. Doubt other clubs will be queuing up to sign him just yet.

Just now, Sonny said:

I can see a situation where Lees contract isn’t resolved until much later on in the summer whilst he continues to demonstrate fitness. Doubt other clubs will be queuing up to sign him just yet.

Agreed. I think even for Lee himself we'll still represent his best hope for securing a decent contract offer.

24 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Not sure if Scram has posted in this topic before, he must have.

I think there's research out there comparing grass pitcher to astro etc and not found an increase injury, so that suggests it might not be the facilities (although, I'm not sure what our treatment options are like etc)

I did wonder if it might be the Hillsborough pitch as much as it might be the training ground.

Just now, cowl said:

Agreed. I think even for Lee himself we'll still represent his best hope for securing a decent contract offer.

Agree on that too. As things stand I think the club and Lee will work together over the summer regardless of his contract being up. Both parties want the same thing, just need to see what’s practical.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I did wonder if it might be the Hillsborough pitch as much as it might be the training ground.

All those years of running up and down that slope.

22 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

Rhodes and fletcher as a front two. Jesus that will have the opposites having sleepless nights. 

More like, laughing their socks off That would be the slowest strike pairing in the league

19 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

'90% of the play off squad are still here.  They’re three years older and maybe it’s time we had a freshen up.'

This bit was music to my ears.

Agreed. 

As well as the out of contract players the likes of Joao, Nuhiu, Forestieri & Hutchinson who are either injury prone or not first choice when fit might find themselves on the transfer list.

25 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

'90% of the play off squad are still here.  They’re three years older and maybe it’s time we had a freshen up.'

This bit was music to my ears.

Hopefully big changes younger, faster fitter & stronger with a couple of decent footballers and a goalscorer. 

That's the way Bruce was talking this morning sounds good to me. 

• FRESHEN UP SQUAD

: In management you have to make big decisions. Some aren’t always popular. But first I’ll address the 8 or 10 who are out of contract so I’ll deal with them first.

90% of the play off squad are still here.  They’re three years older and maybe it’s time we had a freshen up.

Good to see Bruce sees what the rest of us have been saying . This squad is stale. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sternlad said:

In this league can any team afford the luxury of Rhodes, he’s a goal poacher but doesn’t seem to contribute to the team much in terms of a target or in terms of pressing the opposites. I hope we can get rid in the summer to be honest.

TBF he's not only a goal poacher, he's good at falling o'er

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

He’s my favourite player but surely Hooper will have to go. All logic points that way. Therefore, a Rhodes-Fletcher front two is an obvious way forward. We know Rhodes can’t lead a line, but with Fletcher playing that role and Rhodes playing off him it could work well in our 442.

Zero pace. 

• Thanks 1