If Hutch is out....

...playing Pulepessy fills me with dread.

What are our options? They seem pretty limited.

I'm wondering if the vastly improved Palmer might be able to carry his form into midfield alongside Bannan.

I think we have more options at left back than we do in midfield. Fox, Thorniley or Pudil could come in to allow Palmer to cover for Hutch.

Dont really like the idea of changing the back four, but Joey isn't up to it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I'd rather not mess with the back 4 when they're all in form, but Hector at CDM would be an option, with Iorfa to CB, Palmer back to RB and Fox at LB.  Or just leave the full backs alone and bring in Thorniley.  

I wouldn't want to move Hector.

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Let's just hope two weeks is enough time to recover. Along with Westwood, he contributed to the right balance in the team which has delivered so many clean sheets. 

If he's not fit will be Joey, seems to be Bruce's back up

He does, but the more he sees him play, the more he.must realise he's not up.to the task.

You could see in the last 15 minutes at Bolton the difference Hutch makes and what he gives to the team- the way he pushes himself to press (even when he's tired) where as JP just seems to find himself constantly in no man's land (as he was for the first goal on Saturday). 

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

1 minute ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

He does, but the more he sees him play, the more he.must realise he's not up.to the task.

You could see in the last 15 minutes at Bolton the difference Hutch makes and what he gives to the team- the way he pushes himself to press (even when he's tired) where as JP just seems to find himself constantly in no man's land (as he was for the first goal on Saturday). 

Completely agree, but we've nothing else. That goes for Bannan too, either of these out and our midfield is awful.

20 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

...playing Pulepessy fills me with dread.

What are our options? They seem pretty limited.

I'm wondering if the vastly improved Palmer might be able to carry his form into midfield alongside Bannan.

I think we have more options at left back than we do in midfield. Fox, Thorniley or Pudil could come in to allow Palmer to cover for Hutch.

Dont really like the idea of changing the back four, but Joey isn't up to it.

you saw saturday how much we miss Hutch,not sure what SB will do Pelepussy to weak,hopefully Hutch will be fit

If it is JP then Bruce needs to work on his positioning for the next 2 weeks 

His attitude to win every ball makes him look worse than he should be as he is just all over the place and more often than not is the wrong side of the man. 

He is more than capable of winning the ball and playing the ball quickly and simply. 

A few posters have mentioned it above - his positioning and anticipation is a million miles away from hutch’s.

its why Hutch looks so good - he is nearly always in the right place - Pelupessy has to chase about to get in the right place so a team that moves the ball quickly can soon make him redundant.

21 minutes ago, torres said:

If it is JP then Bruce needs to work on his positioning for the next 2 weeks 

His attitude to win every ball makes him look worse than he should be as he is just all over the place and more often than not is the wrong side of the man. 

He is more than capable of winning the ball and playing the ball quickly and simply. 

This is a very good analysis. I thought that JP was out of position for Blackburns first goal on Saturday and often he will go into a tackle when someone else has already gone to close that player down.

It’s an odd one, I’d be tempted to try Hector there, BUT, although I’ve seen him do the job adequately for Reading, it means disrupting the back four. Guess I’d stick with Peliupessy, he’s certainly no Hutch, but he can be quite effective as a ratter. I did wonder if Bannan’s vastly improved showing was in some way down to having Pelupessy alongside him. I don’t think he’s ideal for what we want, but I do think a lot of what he does, perhaps goes under the radar

43 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

Agreed,   but Jones is a better option imo.. 

38 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Forgot about Jones. I'd agree with that.

The problem is that we all think Jones is a better option until he actually plays.

Jones and Bannan as a midfield two is what nightmares are made of. 

At least Pelupessy makes Bannan perform better if nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t see the point in playing Palmer in midfield. He hasn’t played there for years and may be rubbish there now plus he’s the best fullback in the club. Leave the back four unchanged; it’s settled now and should only be changed because of injury to a player. 

I’d stick with Pelupessy if Hutchinson is out as he has the mobility and fitness over our other backup midfielders. Bruce has just under a fortnight to drill into Pelupessy what he needs to do and (as some have already pointed out) how he needs to position himself defensively. 

Pelupessy has played well before and, at the time, some were suggesting he was s future captain. Let’s see what Bruce can do with him if Hutchinson is out.