If Hutch is out....

On 18/03/2019 at 07:37, RUMBELOWS91 said:

...playing Pulepessy fills me with dread.

What are our options? They seem pretty limited.

I'm wondering if the vastly improved Palmer might be able to carry his form into midfield alongside Bannan.

I think we have more options at left back than we do in midfield. Fox, Thorniley or Pudil could come in to allow Palmer to cover for Hutch.

Dont really like the idea of changing the back four, but Joey isn't up to it.

Hector and move Thorniley to centre back

On 18/03/2019 at 08:38, behindthegoal said:

I would be tempted to play Thorniley in that CM position.  He combative, a good tackler and level headed.  We need somebody with presence.

Playing in midfield is an entirely different role to playing CH as the play comes at you from all angles and players move around you. As you can see with JP, he often gets caught between players and the ball gets passed around him. In defence the play is mainly in front of you. As good as prospect at CH as Thorniley is, he's no midfielder.

Pelupessy is far from ideal.  But seems to me he's the least worst option.

I don't want to disrupt the back four and don't want to play any defender out of position.

Jones and Bannan never really worked together and the two lefties doesn't mix well.

Just hope SH is back sooner rather than later. 

16 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Pelupessy is far from ideal.  But seems to me he's the least worst option.

I don't want to disrupt the back four and don't want to play any defender out of position.

Jones and Bannan never really worked together and the two lefties doesn't mix well.

Just hope SH is back sooner rather than later. 

hang on...

Image result for corbyn and benn

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

And Hutchinson isn't?

No I don’t think so.

he’s a much better footballer than pelupessy.

For me you keep Iorfa where he is, doing damage.   It's working.

Like some above, I don't want Pelupessy in the side, he's too lightweight, not aggressive enough and doesn't have speed of thought to do that job.

Jones, I don't actually remember him being anything other than a body in there.   Think we got him a season past his best.

Palmer was having a revival at right back, he's carried on playing well at left back and, although many years ago now has played that role for Tranmere.    

For me Thorniley at left back, he has to be fit as he was on the bench last time out, and stick Palmer in there in the centre of midfield.    He's going to be up for it no matter where he plays and his defensive side is improved no end.

On 18/03/2019 at 07:37, RUMBELOWS91 said:

...playing Pulepessy fills me with dread.

What are our options? They seem pretty limited.

I'm wondering if the vastly improved Palmer might be able to carry his form into midfield alongside Bannan.

I think we have more options at left back than we do in midfield. Fox, Thorniley or Pudil could come in to allow Palmer to cover for Hutch.

Dont really like the idea of changing the back four, but Joey isn't up to it.

rounduns!.

Pelupessy is  different to Chocolate knees, that is all.

All depends what Bruce wants isn't it. 

If he wants someone to all most replicate Hutchinsons role. Then he picks Hector doesn't he is the only one that can tackle anything like be does.

My suspicion is though that he just goes with Pelupessy again and tries to make that work and plays a way that suits both him and Bannan.

Edited by pazowl55

16 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Here you go from 8.10, watch again. You’ll see Joey has just pressed their defender and can’t get back in in time. Yoy’d All be moaning if he was say too deep. Anyway then watch Aaron’s, should have been alert to the danger when Palmer covers CB and drop in, he had the time but went then stopped. 

Stop the f*cking ostracising, he’s part of the squad 

Sorry but that goal is not Arron's fault. Pelupessy had ample time to get back from his initial close-down - it wasn't because he couldn't make up the ground in time, it was because he got caught ball watching and didn't cover the danger in the centre of the park - his role having replaced Hutchinson. The reaction of Westwood & Lees tells the story - or are they scapegoating Joey as well?! 

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

All depends what Bruce wants isn't it. 

If he wants someone to all most replicate Hutchinsons role. Then he picks Hector doesn't he is the only one that can tackle anything like be does.

My suspicion is though that he just goes with Pelupessy again and tries to make that work and plays a way that suits both him and Bannan.

I don't think he will want to change a settled defence. He was reluctant to change it when Fox was doing OK for him before he picked up an injury. Can't fault him on this, we have looked far better defensively since Jos left thanks in part for players knowing their roles and not chopping and changing. 

I don't think Bruce has got much faith in Pelupessy either though. Hooked him at half-time the only game he has started since he took over and went with Hutchinson against Bolton & Blackburn despite him not being fit.   

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't think he will want to change a settled defence. He was reluctant to change it when Fox was doing OK for him before he picked up an injury. Can't fault him on this, we have looked far better defensively since Jos left thanks in part for players knowing their roles and not chopping and changing. 

I don't think Bruce has got much faith in Pelupessy either though. Hooked him at half-time the only game he has started since he took over and went with Hutchinson against Bolton & Blackburn despite him not being fit.   

What other option does he have. Think he will just spend all week working with Pelupessy, Bannan, Aarons and Reach about how to form a soild midfield four to compensate for Hutchinson not being in it.

Guest Ash76
26 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Sorry but that goal is not Arron's fault. Pelupessy had ample time to get back from his initial close-down - it wasn't because he couldn't make up the ground in time, it was because he got caught ball watching and didn't cover the danger in the centre of the park - his role having replaced Hutchinson. The reaction of Westwood & Lees tells the story - or are they scapegoating Joey as well?! 

Just as culpable is what I said. When they reviewed the video his role will have been highlighted 

If you actually freeze the video before the the pass from their defender then we have a flat midfield 4, problem is the gap between them and the defence is too big, that’s a collective responsibility.

17 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Just as culpable is what I said. When they reviewed the video his role will have been highlighted 

If you actually freeze the video before the the pass from their defender then we have a flat midfield 4, problem is the gap between them and the defence is too big, that’s a collective responsibility.

Why do you feel the need to neg just about every post that disagrees with your opinion? Are you incapable of having a debate about something without having to put someone down for having the temerity to have a different perspective to your own? It's not as if everyone is having a go at you personally.

On 18/03/2019 at 08:25, pazowl55 said:

The problem is that we all think Jones is a better option until he actually plays.

Jones and Bannan as a midfield two is what nightmares are made of. 

At least Pelupessy makes Bannan perform better if nothing else.

The same midfield two that went on a 6 game winning run under Carlos this time two years ago?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The same midfield two that went on a 6 game winning run under Carlos this time two years ago?

Lee played in some of them not Jones and Bannan was probably shoe horned on the left.

Also Jones is now two years older and even more likely to want to just sit and play Hollywood balls rather then close down and fly into tackles.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't partner Jones with Bannan in a two.  both want to play the passes.