Fletcher’s Physique

I’m quite surprised that this point has not been made earlier in the season, so I thought I’d bring it up...

Fletcher, after his injury layoff last season, has evidently returned a more powerful and in shape player. I recall seeing him upon his return at the beginning of the season looking remarkably bigger and stronger. I truly think that in his rehabilitation period he’s been hitting the weights and has become a more physical and all round more powerful and imposing figure.

As far as I’ve seen, this has impacted his game and I honestly believe this is why he is in fine form this season. The bench press has been working without a doubt and he seems far more imperious in his overall attacking play, not just skill wise but strength wise. 

When i I first saw him in the opening couple of games he was unrecognizable. He always seemed to come across as a lanky striker who relied on skill more than power. In my opinion he is now a combination of both.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Joburgowl said:

I’m quite surprised that this point has not been made earlier in the season, so I thought I’d bring it up...

Fletcher, after his injury layoff last season, has evidently returned a more powerful and in shape player. I recall seeing him upon his return at the beginning of the season looking remarkably bigger and stronger. I truly think that in his rehabilitation period he’s been hitting the weights and has become a more physical and all round more powerful and imposing figure.

As far as I’ve seen, this has impacted his game and I honestly believe this is why he is in fine form this season. The bench press has been working without a doubt and he seems far more imperious in his overall attacking play, not just skill wise but strength wise. 

When i I first saw him in the opening couple of games he was unrecognizable. He always seemed to come across as a lanky striker who relied on skill more than power. In my opinion he is now a combination of both.

Thoughts?

He looks a yard faster....his ball control at times is remarkable...

4 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

He looks a yard faster....his ball control at times is remarkable...

He is a quality player, it was obvious from his first game for us, touch, movement, awareness and aerial ability. Add to this his worth ethic and he’s a top top forward at this level 

The reason he is at this level is because his body unfortunately won’t allow him to play with the intensity he does for long enough without breaking down. 

This season we’ve managed him pretty well. Without him we are definitely worse off 

Hopefully his latest injury isn’t too bad 

My point is that he seems to have put in the strength training that may in the past have been a factor in his body breaking down,looks a lot more powerful and intimidating.

Seeing his general play this season, am I wrong in saying he’s getting a lot more stuck in to physical confrontations with defenders? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have the opportunity to see him playing as often as I’d like to, but he’s gone from being a third choice striker to our current talisman, and I believe hard graft in the gym has a lot to do with it.

I have a lot more respect for him than I ever have, he really is a top quality striker. I hope his injury is not too serious, we’re a tad fecked without him at the moment......

Seems to me he’d been carrying injuries for a long long time before that last layoff. 

Only now able to play to his full potential.

Hope he’s ok after today though because he took a few knocks before going off.

In retrospect it may have been better to start with Nuhiu alongside Fletcher to share some of the physical stuff, and bring Winnall off the bench.

24 minutes ago, Joburgowl said:

Thoughts?

He has bulked up because Mushrooms are back on the canteen menu

• Haha 1

The team were in far better physical condition when Jos lwas sacked than when CC left the club. Bullen took charge and implemented similar tactics both times. After the first win in his first spell in charge the team were shattered and could barely run in couple of games following. This time they were able to hold fitness together. I think not only Fletcher but several others in team are in much better condition and now they are being deployed in a more effective style this can be seen clearly/

I personally think the change in fortune for Fletcher is more down to him playing 5 or 10 yards further up the pitch and having players around him in support. It makes a huge difference from the negative stuff under Jos and Carlos after his first season.

41 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Seems to me he’d been carrying injuries for a long long time before that last layoff. 

Only now able to play to his full potential.

Hope he’s ok after today though because he took a few knocks before going off.

In retrospect it may have been better to start with Nuhiu alongside Fletcher to share some of the physical stuff, and bring Winnall off the bench.

Winall did a lot of running today alongside Fletcher. That defending from the front was missed when they both came off. We need Fletcher and Winall to remain fit on today's performance. 

26 minutes ago, Quist said:

The team were in far better physical condition when Jos lwas sacked than when CC left the club. Bullen took charge and implemented similar tactics both times. After the first win in his first spell in charge the team were shattered and could barely run in couple of games following. This time they were able to hold fitness together. I think not only Fletcher but several others in team are in much better condition and now they are being deployed in a more effective style this can be seen clearly/

Good point.

I'd not really considered this, but you're right - we looked very short of fitness in Carvalhal's final season, whereas Luhukay at least left a squad of lean, fit players.

13 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Looks to be very in shape these days, especially his upper body.  

His attributes are just what you need for the Championship. Just need a goal scorer next to him really. 

Since Jos left.

Joao - 460 minutes - 1 goal

Forestieri - 393 minutes - 1 goal

Matias - 550minutes - 1 goal

Nuhiu - 265 minutes - 2 goals

Winnall - 151 minutes - 0 goal

Fletcher - 1160 minutes - 7 goals

Outstanding.

• Thanks 1