George Hirst

It’s been interesting to see how the England youth set up shows some loyalty to its squad even when someone is clearly underperforming. Guessing that doesn’t continue to u21s when things get a little more serious.

Surely he can’t spend another year scratching about in the Belgian second division. I’ve little sympathy for his choices but it would be painful to see him continuing to flounder just because they wanted to get one over on us.

Reading some of the comments I can understand why he left,the weight of expectation from his dads legacy & his goals record at youth and International level must have laid heavy on his mind,given the way some of our support can crucify a player in just a short space of time,Id say hes made the right decision.

Its the failure on our part to wrestle the 2M they initially offered for a lad with everything to prove in the mans game that bothers me most,yes he could still go onto better things in the future,but the kid will have to put in a lot of hard work both physically AND mentally to make the transition from boy to man in a football sense and be lucky with injuries..........

Edited by legendaryswan

22 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Cheers - Not such a good record at all then.

Wrong move for him. I think they were expecting him to go there, start some games and score a fair few then end up at Leicester. At this rate, he'll end up at a L2 club in a few years.

If Hirst (although probably more accurately, his father and whoever else there is in his corner) wanted to get 'one over on us', the 'us' here is surely just Chansiri rather than anyone else at the club and certainly not the fans.

Worth remembering when it comes to having a go at the lad.

Stopped listening to Talk premier league a while ago but when the U18,19,20 et al tournaments were being played there would be discussions about how huge the gulf was between those teams and league, usually top two, sides

Edited by darra

9 hours ago, sweetsheri said:

Based on his name I take it?

Made one brief senior appearance for us in the cup

Missed out on 12 months development 

Scores 2 in 20 playing in a parks league 

And you would take him back? 

It is nothing to do with his name ,Was he not scoring regular for the u18 and u21 England side ,Was he scoring for Wednesday at the same level ?

cant believe we are still discussing him...

he's a nobody now....

burnt his bridges

8 hours ago, cowl said:

If Hirst (although probably more accurately, his father and whoever else there is in his corner) wanted to get 'one over on us', the 'us' here is surely just Chansiri rather than anyone else at the club and certainly not the fans.

Worth remembering when it comes to having a go at the lad.

what they did was rob the club of valuable money, he got one over on the owner, the owner who owns and fiances our club, simples, same thing in my book...

10 hours ago, steveger said:

what they did was rob the club of valuable money, he got one over on the owner, the owner who owns and fiances our club, simples, same thing in my book...

By that reasoning you'd accept anything and everything the owner does merely because he finances the club. Is that your view?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

It is nothing to do with his name ,Was he not scoring regular for the u18 and u21 England side ,Was he scoring for Wednesday at the same level ?

He's never played for the u21's, let alone score for them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cowl said:

So it's not so 'simples', after all.

Is in my mind, they shafted Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, the club they claimed to love.... i have my opinions and you have differing ones mate, that's life and that's what makes Owlstalk work

Edited by steveger

9 hours ago, cowl said:

By that reasoning you'd accept anything and everything the owner does merely because he finances the club. Is that your view?

Accept it? 

No, plenty of his decisions have been debated and criticised on here over the past few years.

Don't think I would go to the extent of depriving the owner (more accurately in this case the football club) of a fair amount of income due to a fall out and disagreement to the extent that I would see it more fit to persuade/encourage a player who clearly has the potential to make a go of it in this country, to the Belgian 2nd division where a year on he is now seemingly in the wilderness and almost certainly behind where he would have been in terms of experience and progression had this not been the chosen route. 

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Accept it? 

No, plenty of his decisions have been debated and criticised on here over the past few years.

Don't think I would go to the extent of depriving the owner (more accurately in this case the football club) of a fair amount of income due to a fall out and disagreement to the extent that I would see it more fit to persuade/encourage a player who clearly has the potential to make a go of it in this country, to the Belgian 2nd division where a year on he is now seemingly in the wilderness and almost certainly behind where he would have been in terms of experience and progression had this not been the chosen route. 

Chansiri stopped Hirst from playing and even training with his colleagues with just less than a year of his contract to run because he was supposedly dragging his heals with the contract that was offered him.

When you go nuclear like that and at that stage in a contract negotiation it's hardly surprising it all blew up in his face. It's also hardly surprising there was very little sentiment towards Chansiri (and sadly by extension, the club) when it came to Hirst's choice of club to sign for.

7 minutes ago, cowl said:

Chansiri stopped Hirst from playing and even training with his colleagues with just less than a year of his contract to run because he was supposedly dragging his heals with the contract that was offered him.

When you go nuclear like that and at that stage in a contract negotiation it's hardly surprising it all blew up in his face. It's also hardly surprising there was very little sentiment towards Chansiri (and sadly by extension, the club) when it came to Hirst's choice of club to sign for.

That's just rumour and hearsay.

You state it as though you know it to be true when that is impossible.

16 minutes ago, cowl said:

Go nuclear?!

What evidence do you have that this was the case? 2 sides to every story, maybe the club took a stance to a player dragging his heels in contract negotiations and when the player and his representatives took that badly they decided to take further action. 

As for it blowing up in his face and a lack of sentiment towards the club that served their family well over many years, the choice of club appears to have worked out pretty badly for the player. 

11 minutes ago, Triple O said:

That's just rumour and hearsay.

You state it as though you know it to be true when that is impossible.

I agree. No one really knows whats happened, but for mr c to act as he did, it must have been serious.  Id love george to do well for us, i still would, but it looks like hes been given some pretty atrocious advice. From such potential, to a poor begian second division team is quite a fall. Leicester may have turned us over for £2m (pretty pathetic for a premiershit club) but theyve also seriously harmed hirsts career too (again pretty crap from leicester)