Bruce to get to bottom of all the injuries

Injuries are one thing - it's the recovery time that baffles me. Players go out and just never reappear - we've 3 of potentially our best players showing no signs of return, having been out for months, Lee, Abdi and Hoops.

5 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

I'm in the ground to see the warm ups. 

Last night the pre game prep between the two teams was very noticeable in how different it was. 

Then again for example after half time we sauntered out walking, the other lot did three minutes of drills before getting in position. 

Food for thought.

I think our warmups have actually improved under this coaching team. We are doing different things at least.

Under Jos it was nothing short of embarrassing. 

9 hours ago, Mus said:

Steve Bruce said all these injuries, and the length of time of recovery is ridiculous!  It's going to be one of his priorities to sort out.

He really will be the new messiah if he can get Abdi fit and on the pitch .

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, owls maniac said:

What is it though? Our facilities, training methods, signing crocks?

Like most areas of our operation we simply didn't keep up with ever-more sophisticated techniques employed by top domestic clubs of the time and flat refused to invest money into our existing infrastructure.

Our academy, scouting, transfer policy and squad conditioning lagged behind our peers. Only now is it apparant just how long standing and historical our issues are.

As for fitness specifically - you can just imagine the Deep Heat and orange quarters littered about even today.

4 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

What is it though? Our facilities, training methods, signing crocks?

When Hirst got injured all the time, it was due to defenders kicking him half the time (and the fact he was not that professional)

Our injuries now seem to be picked up by stretching, running, and none contact type injuries. 

Do you think it’s got worse since we relaid the pitch? 

1 minute ago, Rogers said:

When Hirst got injured all the time, it was due to defenders kicking him half the time (and the fact he was not that professional)

Our injuries now seem to be picked up by stretching, running, and none contact type injuries. 

Do you think it’s got worse since we relaid the pitch? 

The turf at Hillsborough is fine.

The turf at Middlewood Road is not.

Also, during the era of David Hirst's injuries Alan Shearer broke his leg twice. Yet still went on to be one of Europe's top strikers.

Like I said. Professionalism.

42 minutes ago, vulva said:

Every manager we’ve had in the last 20 years has ‘vowed’ to get to the bottom of our injury issues. It started with the likes of Garry Thompson and has gone downhill since. 

i said this earlier  the only real constant is the not fit for purpose training facilities   

there is no excuse now we have a chairman who professes to want to put cash in but can't due to ffp he needs to think about spending it in that direction as i believe he can without sanction 

hopefully now we have a manager who has been round the block and may be able to identify what needs to be done 

1 hour ago, Arthur Bach said:

The turf at Hillsborough is fine.

The turf at Middlewood Road is not.

Also, during the era of David Hirst's injuries Alan Shearer broke his leg twice. Yet still went on to be one of Europe's top strikers.

Like I said. Professionalism.

Interesting that even in 2016 Carlos was highlighting that the pitches at the training ground weren’t good enough, hopefully DC will now rectify this if it’s something Bruce picks up on. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-consider-training-ground-options-as-dejphon-chansiri-plans-top-flight-era-1-7728999/amp

6 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

I'm in the ground to see the warm ups. 

Last night the pre game prep between the two teams was very noticeable in how different it was. 

Then again for example after half time we sauntered out walking, the other lot did three minutes of drills before getting in position. 

Food for thought.

Our half time routine has been the same for years. I see other teams doing proper drills and then the likes of Nuhiu and Matias having a giggle doing keepy-ups and taking pot shots at an empty net (and missing). Not they’re fault entirely cos they’re lead by management and coaches and no ones out with them to instruct them to do anything but what they were doing.

But they just didn’t  look like players chomping at the bit or ready to try and make a difference in the second half of a live on Sky derby that’s 0-0 with all to play for.

I do think we’re still possibly one of the unfittest teams in the league & our injury record is probably the worst. What worries me is the reoccurring injuries. Look at Josh Onomah for example. Comes here as a young fit lad with no rep for injuries really, soon enough he’s injured and we can’t even be trusted to get him for again. He returns from Spurs ready to go again....and gets injured again. 

Theres something systematically wrong.

Interesting how people state that "it'd been the same for years". However, in those years we've have different players, different chairman, different managers, different medical staff... So how can it be the same?

I was once chatting to a player who was currently playing under Bruce. The player he didn't like the gym (s&c). Apparently Bruce told him not to worry about it, he's obviously fit....

Let's hope he was being liberal with the truth!

38 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Our half time routine has been the same for years. I see other teams doing proper drills and then the likes of Nuhiu and Matias having a giggle doing keepy-ups and taking pot shots at an empty net (and missing). Not they’re fault entirely cos they’re lead by management and coaches and no ones out with them to instruct them to do anything but what they were doing.

But they just didn’t  look like players chomping at the bit or ready to try and make a difference in the second half of a live on Sky derby that’s 0-0 with all to play for.

I do think we’re still possibly one of the unfittest teams in the league & our injury record is probably the worst. What worries me is the reoccurring injuries. Look at Josh Onomah for example. Comes here as a young fit lad with no rep for injuries really, soon enough he’s injured and we can’t even be trusted to get him for again. He returns from Spurs ready to go again....and gets injured again. 

Theres something systematically wrong.

The problem does seem to be reoccurring injuries. Reach has been with us nearly 3 years and barely missed a game (touch wood). However as soon as someone is injured they struggle to make a full recovery. I’m certain there are many facets as to why we have this problem. 

35 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Interesting how people state that "it'd been the same for years". However, in those years we've have different players, different chairman, different managers, different medical staff... So how can it be the same?

The neglect and naivity shown from the late 1990's at Hillsborough transcends the cultural shift in football that occurred to all those who had already revamped their day-to-day operations. By the time Mandaric finally broke the spell it was much, much too late.

We had effectively been run by the same unit of directors, trained at the same out-dated training ground and struggled to keep our heads above water financialky for well over a decade when all around us were evolving.

In 2019 I would say we are 20 years behind clubs we intended to compete against. That is, Spurs, West Ham, Newcastle and Everton probably enjoyed the level of sophistication as a club we now enjoy...except 'Sweet Like Chocolate' was in the charts and we were all looking forward to a total solar eclipse.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

The neglect and naivity shown from the late 1990's at Hillsborough transcends the cultural shift in football that occurred to all those who had already revamped their day-to-day operations. By the time Mandaric finally broke the spell it was much, much too late.

We had effectively been run by the same unit of directors, trained at the same out-dated training ground and struggled to keep our heads above water financialky for well over a decade when all around us were evolving.

In 2019 I would say we are 20 years behind clubs we intended to compete against. That is, Spurs, West Ham, Newcastle and Everton probably enjoyed the level of sophistication as a club we now enjoy...except 'Sweet Like Chocolate' was in the charts and we were all looking forward to a total solar eclipse.

Exactly this, clubs we where ahead of in all areas of their clubs. As they built modern stadiums or upgraded existing facilities we took the cheap option as they built state of the art training facilities we put up a tent as they expanded their commercial and merchandising operations we limped along. Until we move forward in these areas we will never progress as a club our size should. Look where Spurs where in the early/. Mid 90s compared to us and look now there’s no comparison 

5 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

Like most areas of our operation we simply didn't keep up with ever-more sophisticated techniques employed by top domestic clubs of the time and flat refused to invest money into our existing infrastructure.

Our academy, scouting, transfer policy and squad conditioning lagged behind our peers. Only now is it apparant just how long standing and historical our issues are.

As for fitness specifically - you can just imagine the Deep Heat and orange quarters littered about even today.

Yeah, but you can't beat orange quarters dipped in Deep Heat!