Andy Pearce

Guest ka58

Brought in to replace Pearson who was deemed as getting on.

Pearson went on to play over 100 games for Middlesbrough captaining them to promotion and  three cup finals.

Pearce played 60 odd games for us, then seven more games of league football for Wimbledon in 3 years after leaving us and ending up back in the non-league.

Yeah. Good business.

The real shame is Pearson and Walker would have made perfect foils for each other. 

But there we go.

• Thanks 1

I thought he was awesome! 

Anybody got the text ofthe rumoured episode when he went after Vinnie Jones after a match? Most of it was probably urban legend but still a good read. If I remember correctly there was a facebook page about him with it on and I think his daughter commented on it and found it extremely funny and probably proved it to be a story that grew over time.

15 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I remember us playing Coventry, who we bought him from

Their supporters were singing

You've bought Andy Pearce

You daft bar stewards, you daft bar stewards

He scored a cracking header against the blunts though

Every time someone mentions Andy Pearce I automatically sing that song in my head and then I remember a free kick of his that nearly snapped the bar in two. 

• Like 1

Found it!

Wimbledon versus Sheffield Wednesday.

Picture the scene.

A midfield 'battle' has developed between the young Graham Hyde of Wednesday and Vinnie Jones of Wimbledon's Crazy Gang. Turf flying in the heat of battle as the clash unfolds. 
The event was a mis-match if ever there was one. The diminutive frame of the young Hyde up against the self-proclaimed hard man of football, Vinnie Jones.

As the game drew to a close, it was clear that hard man Vinnie had become the victor of the day. The youngster Hyde was kicked and bruised, bitten and scratched. Vinnie was then to announce on the field that he was going to, "knock Hyde's teeth out in the tunnel after the game".

Now it is time to bring to the fold a certain Andy Pearce. A real cult hero of a man. The real fans' player, not at all blessed with skill but the kind of player who had the East Bank faithfuls admiration after every shift. Good or bad, you just knew Pearce had put everything into it. 

The Bradford-on-Avon product stood a menacing 6'5" tall, a former hod carrier in the building trade, covered in tattoos, long flowing locks and hard as nails. Pearce was not a man to be taken lightly. He would not have looked out of place in a rowdy working mans club on a drunken Friday evening. You could say not your typical gentleman central defender of yesteryear.

Now back to the event.

Pearce, looking out for one of his own was rather upset by Jones' uncalled for threats and was going to stick up for his team mate. So, after the game an annoyed Pearce went to knock on the Wimbledon changing room door to have a quiet word with Vinnie. The door was quickly bolted shut and Vinnie refused to come out and chat with Pearce. Nobody else from the Crazy Gang was eager to open it either.

This was like a red rag to a bull to Pearce who then started banging on the door, shouting for Vinnie to get himself out and explain himself. At this point it was clear that the attention had been diverted to this little episode, media and officials from both teams gathered around as the warrior like Pearce kicked open the door, lunging forward into enemy territory Pearce had to be held back from the cowering and rather sheepish looking Jones by a good number of brave and hardy men.

Hard man of football?

He lost his crown that day.

Andy Pearce. The last of a generation of old school, down the pub footballer.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Meh, ex builder scores against Blunts, back of the Kop is bouncing (not to the song that is used today). I thought the ruddy stand was going to collapse, rough round the edges, obviously not the most gifted. But that goal against the Blunts, that will do for me.

7 hours ago, steveger said:

He get's the ball scores a goal, Andy, Andy Pearce, was a great song back then, he was am enigma .......:Sid:

More like an enema. Big slow and clumsy. Tried hard but out of his depth. Was the beginning of the end of the best side I have seen in 45 years of following the Owls.

17 hours ago, ka58 said:

Just watched the 94/95 season review video.

what a terrible centre half - will forgive him some for the goal against United but in that video he looks like a secret agent deployed to get Francis the sack.

Was bought to replace Nigel Pearson. Tricky had lost the plot at this stage. Nolan for Worthington, Atherton for Nilsson.

• Like 1

Francis did an absolutely dreadful job of replacing the aging 90-94 squad. 

Worthington with Nolan

Neilson with Atherton

Pearson with Andy Pearce

Viv Anderson with Simon Coleman

Harkes with Sinton

Warhurst with Whittingham

Palmer with Ingesson

Yet people still hail him as some managerial genius when I’m reality he rode Big Ron’s team for a couple of years until running out of ideas

Edited by Stoop

1 minute ago, Stoop said:

Worthington with Nolan

Neilson with Atherton

Pearson with Andy Pearce

Harkes with Sinton

Palmer with Ingesson

Yet people still hail him as some managerial genius when I’m reality he rode Big Ron’s team for a couple of years until running out of ideas

They will be here in a minute

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Stoop said:

Worthington with Nolan

Neilson with Atherton

Pearson with Andy Pearce

Harkes with Sinton

Palmer with Ingesson

Agree. We replaced great players with “they’ll do” players.

Pearce 100% one of these