Hooper

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

He’s 30 now, we’re lucky to get half a season out of him at best and he’s draining a huge wage. 

Good player but in our current situation, its a no brainer. Let him go. 

So at 30 yrs old, players have 6 months left at best? 

Another ridiculous post. 

3 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Considering he hasnt kicked a ball in a year id say 6 months is optomistic

Maybe I missed the article all you, 'wise realists' read about Hooper never being able to play football again.. 

I just heard Bruce say he was back training with the team last week but hey what does he know? 

Edited by Beholder

7 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

I love Hooper and we really miss him and it would be great if he could get back to fitness and play a part in this season but I've heard he's definitely off to the U S of A.

I heard that rumour.

that s fine.

Would be brilliant if we could get 7 games out of him and still be in the hunt for the playoffs before he left tho.

Edited by Beholder

8 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Maybe I missed the article all you, 'wise realists' read about Hooper never being able to play football again.. 

I just heard Bruce say he was back training with the team last week but hey what does he know? 

Im sure he will give us 30 plus games a season then. Despite what Bruce says he hasnt stepped on the pitch yet. Got to be well worth another one or two year contract

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

So at 30 yrs old, players have 6 months left at best? 

Another ridiculous post. 

You do realise you are saying extend the contracts of these players who are injured m constantly . I can’t believe you can’t grasp what he’s saying . A 30 year old who hasn’t played for over a year because of injuries . Obviously you would get rid . 

A 30 year old who is fit and available , yeah fine . A 30 year old crock who shows no sign of being able to play competitive football is not fine 

Guest wilyfox

With so many players past their best, I wouldn't sign another player that doesn't look likely/capable of giving 3yrs+ service. I'm sure someone will grab a terrific bargain snapping Lee or Hooper up on a free, but if we re-sign them they'll probably just snap. We should not be the ones taking that chance. One bitten, twice shy. 

On 27/02/2019 at 08:15, pazowl55 said:

We may see them as crocks. But Bruce would love to have a fit Lee and Hooper in his team.

So would we all, but it’s probably not going to happen.

Both to go in the summer - sadly the return on investment is through the floor

time for pragmatism - not sentiment 

On 27/02/2019 at 08:15, pazowl55 said:

We may see them as crocks. But Bruce would love to have a fit Lee and Hooper in his team.

So would we all, but it’s probably not going to happen.

Both to go in the summer - sadly the return on investment is through the floor

time for pragmatism - not sentiment 

• Like 1

I think it all depends on our finances and the EFL. DC said we're pretty screwed if we dont gain promotion this season, so we may not get the chance to sign younger, fitter and hungrier players in the summer. IF this is the case, and IF Lee and Hooper can show some sort of form and fitness and were willing to sign a reduce contract i think it could be decent for all.

But I'd hope that both DC and Bruce are in regular contact with the EFL and each other and already planning for what they believe will happen come the summer. 

Gary Hooper when fit is a great player the problem is he is never fit for that long, first season came to us unfit and took 3 months to get match fit, signed for 3 million but cost us a loan fee of a report £1/2m before than add to that wages of excess of £30,000 a week he is costing us at least £1.5m a season + medical bills.

In his last 2 full season before this he has played 23 games 6 goals, 24 games 10 goals this season 0 games and 0 goals, he has a record of 1 in 3 which is great but out of 130+ games he has played only 47 36% of our games in the last 2 and this season.

If we were in the premier league with millions to spend its a different story but in the financial mess we are in its a no brainer save the £1.5m a season + and use it to bring some players in who will actual play in the first 11. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2roland2 said:

Yeah same as Westwood and hutch. fizzed. Never play again, so many world class physios on owlstalk. 

Hows about see how they fair before you go writing off two of our top performing players of the last few years. 

I will I’ll tell you now if and when they get fit and especially when they sign elsewhere a lot of our fans are goi g to look stupid

I’d hazard a guess we won’t look stupid . 

1 hour ago, 2roland2 said:

Yeah same as Westwood and hutch. fizzed. Never play again, so many world class physios on owlstalk. 

Hows about see how they fair before you go writing off two of our top performing players of the last few years. 

I will I’ll tell you now if and when they get fit and especially when they sign elsewhere a lot of our fans are goi g to look stupid

sign elsewhere? who are these clubs what are looking to sign players 31 plus who aint played since 2017? also on big wages .there are some clubs in league 1 what have entire wage bill less than these 2 added together. do you think we should have kept loovens or Wallace? loovens struggled with injuries towards the end with us and is constantly injured for sunderland. . with hooper not only has he not played since 2017 before that he had appx 4 spells on the sidelines with injuries of 6-8 weeks . per wage of 30k a week you can double that as he has been fit less than 50% of the time.  the past is gone, forget 2015 . also if a player is on such good money and he gets offered 10k a week instead of 30k he wont get out of bed , we need younger fitter players with huger to do well lets leave the good memories of lee and hooper and move on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Love to see how they fair, chance would be nice. Everyones waiting for that, for a long time i may add. Still its only a few quid.