Hooper

What happens if were under an embargo? 

Lets say we can’t sign anyone - then what? We let him go? There’s no out and out striker better at the club - or a better hold up/link up play merchant. 

If we could resign him on 20k a week for 2 years - would you do it? 

Lets face it - Rhodes and Winnall are done here

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I will come on here and say I am wrong but how many players have Wednesday moved on recently and people have said it was a mistake after 6 months.

I have seen saying on here people saying we should have offered contracts to Loovens, Semedo, Wallace, Reda Johnson. Who now think letting them go was a big mistake?

You putting those players in the same bracket as Hooper? 

I didn't advocate any of them receiving new contracts, I don't know about anyone else. 

42 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Watch all the wise 'just being realistic' cliché posters disappear as soon as Hooper gets back in the team and starts scoroing.

Nailed on. Happens every time.

There’s a good chance that will happen in the next dozen games. I don’t think anyone’s denying that. 

The point is, then what? I’m assuming you’ll be calling for a new deal?

For me, considering our current financial situation, that would be a decision that would backfire on the club. 

Everyone is making assumptions that "We will be under a transfer embargo" ....TBH no one apart from the Chairman has the faintest idea what our situation financially will be. It's ridiculous to suggest giving Hooper or Lee new long term contracts just as it's ridiculous to write off two high quality players because of their past injuries. 

The only sensible thing is to assess them as to whether or not they can still do the business at the same level and offer them a pay as you play deal for 6 months, with a review and possible contract after that. If the players reject that then good luck and goodbye to them.

20 minutes ago, Beholder said:

You putting those players in the same bracket as Hooper? 

I didn't advocate any of them receiving new contracts, I don't know about anyone else. 

Plenty of people said we should hold on to them, sure I can troll back on Owlstalk and find plenty of posts of people wanting to keep them.

If we were signing a player with a similar injury record from say Nottingham Forest think the vast majority of people would say its a bad idea and we want to get away from signing players with very poor injury records and rightly so in my opinion.

Let's be honest, only Hooper and the club medical team will know how badly he is injured and if it's likely he will make a full recovery.

Not many players come back from such a shocking injury lay-off, a few do sure. But most just end up breaking down again.

It's highly doubtful he will not get another injury as soon as he gets into full match action (Look at Lazaar and he was not injured he was just not playing).

Hooper is not worth the risk for a club who needs to trim the squad and save on wages.

We need dead wood, injury prone players and expensive flops gone this summer.

Bruce is no mug, he won't have any sentiment or bias. He will clear the decks and try to rebuild.

Same goes for Lee.

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Plenty of people said we should hold on to them, sure I can troll back on Owlstalk and find plenty of posts of people wanting to keep them.

If we were signing a player with a similar injury record from say Nottingham Forest think the vast majority of people would say its a bad idea and we want to get away from signing players with very poor injury records and rightly so in my opinion.

I'm more excited about seeing him back this season.

Considerations about contracts can happen in summer. Its other posters who keep bringing up the subject of a new contract.

Its all hypothetical, no point discussing it until we can see where he is at in may.

13 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

After a few years of £30k a week going into my bank account I think I would consider a drop to £15k a week.

the problem though with footballers on there last year or 2 is a lot aint trying to earn new deals ,far better to get younger players who are hungry might take a year or longer with em but long term you have value and sellable assets . im not talking about promoting out u23s though that was tried and there miles off .next season let bruce use his connections to bring in 3-4 young players like he has already done . 

24 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I'm more excited about seeing him back this season.

Considerations about contracts can happen in summer. Its other posters who keep bringing up the subject of a new contract.

Its all hypothetical, no point discussing it until we can see where he is at in may.

He has been out for a over a year, chances of him recapturing old form in last few months of the season are very slim.

Will need a full pre season and about half a season to have a realistic chance of being the player he was 2 -3 years ago. 

Personally think Hoopers time here is done. But he can move on somewhere else and still be a success. Possibly Celtic.

He's in a similar vain to FF tbf. A great player but we've already seen the best of them at Hillsborough and it's about time we moved them on for eeveryone's sake. 

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

He has been out for a over a year, chances of him recapturing old form in last few months of the season are very slim.

Will need a full pre season and about half a season to have a realistic chance of being the player he was 2 -3 years ago. 

Alot of Hooper's game is about strength intelligence and speed of thought. 

If it were all about pace and agility I'd be inclined to agree with you. 

He will improve us this season. Wait and see. If I'm wrong I'll come on here and admit it. 

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Why would he accept the type of deal (basically an amateur contract) when he could get $20k a week at Colorado?

Pay as you play, win, goal and assist bonuses which over a successful season are as much as his current package

2 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Such a shame as Fletcher and Hooper made a great strike partnership, waits for Holmowl to provide stats that disagree :biggrin:

I think our team right now would be very good with Fletch & Hoops up top, Reach and Aarons on the wings, Baz & Hutch in the middle. 

I’d offer Hooper a pay as you play deal but otherwise we’ll have to let him go 

Haha.

Easily our most successful strike partnership. 

Hasnt yet worked for Fletch/Joao nor Fletch/FF.

Getting Hooper and Fletcher in tandem for 8/9 games could make it a very interesting end to the season if we can get 4 or 6 points from United and Frank Lampard Xl. FC.

As an aside...

Hooper has played more minutes in the last two seasons than Hutch and FF.

• Like 1