Hooper

4 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

We are pretty much guaranteed a transfer embargo and won’t be able to sign much if anyone, these two if they get fit could be like two big  name signings. 

How is that not worth a risk if they get back to some sort of fitness in the next few months? 

Our fans baffle me 

History says that irrespective of how Hooper does for any time he happened to play this season there is a very good chance he would miss a good chunk of next season if we gave him a new contract.

If money is so tight why would you spend some of it on somebody so injury prone and the wrong side of 30.

It defies logic 

There are 12 games left. It's theoretically possible for Hooper to return and play some games.

In my opinion Hooper and Fletcher have been the best pairing we've had over any kind of period up front over the last 4 years. As stated earlier if he hadn't got injured in the 2nd play off season I'm pretty sure we would have got promoted.

I can't see him staying unless at least one of our other big earner strikers go.

On 27/02/2019 at 16:47, Bigblueowl said:

Why chuck him in? We are playing well and finally getting a settled side. Absolutely no point playing someone who won't be here next season. If your going to chuck someone in then it's Borokuv. 

Thanks Jos

• Haha 1

I’ll copy and paste what I wrote in reply to @james o connor recently in another thread about Hooper. It was either missed by him or just skipped over. Either way my point is every player is different and we shouldn’t write Hooper off.

I agree he should go.

I’m just disagreeing that a player at his age, with his track record can’t come back at play to a similar standard. 

It can be done. Some retire early. Some come back, some drop down the leagues. 

An example I can think of (just double

Checked) is Glenn Murray. Now 35 starting and scoring in the premier league. Suffered a cruciate ligament injury at the same age Hoopers injury problems started. Missed a season. It’s a horrific injury to come back from too, but it’s doable. Shearer and Van Nistelrooy are higher profile examples of serious injuries missing at least a season (admittedly they were younger). Hutchinson for us too, however I know you strongly think we should get rid. 

For balance, a few high profile players I can think of who retired early through injury are Seth Johnson, Dean Ashton, Michael Johnson and our own Neil Mellor.

My point is its most definitely not a cert. Unlikely yes. A cert is either being ridiculous or over dramatic.

12 hours ago, ex_retfordowl said:

2 years younger than billy pig with a similar goals to game ratio. Get him fit and manage his game time......20 goals next season.....in prem lol

We aren’t Huddersfield. 

We will need to score more then 20 goals as a team for promotion! 

12 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

How many people have slated the club for offering silly wages and long contracts to old or injury prone players over the last few years? 

Now some want us to offer a new deal to a 30 year old who hasn’t played all season, only managed half of last and half of the one before? 

Imagine if he wasn’t our player and we were trying to sign him. I doubt anyone would want him due to our financial issues. Bearing in mind he’s on 30k plus.

I’m not one of those advocating offering hi a new deal. My post above says it’s orinsbly best to move on.

However, his style of play and the type of player he is. He can go on to play until his late 30’s. First yard in his head. I think Sheringham, Phillips, more recent example Glenn Murray. Right place, right time, good movement, anticipation and vision. Billy and Fletcher look in the form of their lives too, with Fletch previously missing out due to a long term injury.

I can’t imsgjne he’d accept, but vastly reduced terms and I’d like to think we’d consider a short term deal. 

Just to point out, I don’t think anyone is championing offering a long term deal to Hooper on a similar deal. 

He has a really short time now to prove his fitness - he can’t afford anymore setbacks otherwise he will be released in my opinion. Time is ticking. 

I will leave it to Bruce to make a decision about him in the summer as I genuinely don’t have a clue what I would do. 

2 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

I’m not one of those advocating offering hi a new deal. My post above says it’s orinsbly best to move on.

However, his style of play and the type of player he is. He can go on to play until his late 30’s. First yard in his head. I think Sheringham, Phillips, more recent example Glenn Murray. Right place, right time, good movement, anticipation and vision. Billy and Fletcher look in the form of their lives too, with Fletch previously missing out due to a long term injury.

I can’t imsgjne he’d accept, but vastly reduced terms and I’d like to think we’d consider a short term deal. 

Just to point out, I don’t think anyone is championing offering a long term deal to Hooper on a similar deal. 

You make a good point about the type of player he is, but the obvious difference when comparing him to the likes of Phillips and Sheringham, is that they were super fit and managed to play consistently. Billy too. Never misses a game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Watch all the wise 'just being realistic' cliché posters disappear as soon as Hooper gets back in the team and starts scoroing.

Nailed on. Happens every time.

Ask me when it happens then ask me when he gets injured next

9 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

So anyone who ever gets injured in football shouldn’t be considered, neymar is out for PSG for a few months maybe they should just let him go too , we can only judge his past.  

Ho est to god I’m glad some of you guys aren’t anywhere near making decisions. Talk about rash decisions. 

Here mr klopp Salah has just broke his leg he’s out for 6 months.  Ahhhh ok then get him a ball point pen clear out his locker and fizz him off.  He’s done now, we can’t live on sentiments wins you fizz all. 

None of these scenarios reflect the situation of our club or Hoopers injury history.  Suggest you have a rethink

We are pretty much guaranteed a transfer embargo and won’t be able to sign much if anyone, these two if they get fit could be like two big  name signings. 

How is that not worth a risk if they get back to some sort of fitness in the next few months? 

Our fans baffle me 

Define some sort of fitness?

16 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

An update - get in!! 

B78C996D-43A7-4B26-A5BD-888BDD4C3B75.png

Look at that.

Hooper doing what he does best. pure strength, holding off defenders before a sublime pass to a teammate, fast thinking, intelligent, what a player.

Our fans baffle me 

Another thing, embargo looming, funds tight. You advocate offering Hooper a new deal despite his injury history. What terms would you offer him. For arguments sake hes on 25k a week, what deal would you thrust his way bearing in mind every wage will be more important next season?

4 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Look at that.

Hooper doing what he does best. pure strength, holding off defenders before a sublime pass to a teammate, fast thinking, intelligent, what a player.

Am i missing something, just looks like any other player in training to me

4 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Another thing, embargo looming, funds tight. You advocate offering Hooper a new deal despite his injury history. What terms would you offer him. For arguments sake hes on 25k a week, what deal would you thrust his way bearing in mind every wage will be more important next season?

Great striker on his day but he's a luxury we can't afford. We need players on lower wages who can offer game time. Even 

if they aren't as good. 

• Like 1

Just now, sweetsheri said:

Great striker on his day but he's a luxury we can't afford. We need players on lower wages who can offer game time. Even 

if they aren't as good. 

Couldnt agree more. Dont tell me. I k ow that, tell old beholder and 2roland2.

Such a shame as Fletcher and Hooper made a great strike partnership, waits for Holmowl to provide stats that disagree :biggrin:

I think our team right now would be very good with Fletch & Hoops up top, Reach and Aarons on the wings, Baz & Hutch in the middle. 

I’d offer Hooper a pay as you play deal but otherwise we’ll have to let him go 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Watch all the wise 'just being realistic' cliché posters disappear as soon as Hooper gets back in the team and starts scoroing.

Nailed on. Happens every time.

I will come on here and say I am wrong but how many players have Wednesday moved on recently and people have said it was a mistake after 6 months.

I have seen saying on here people saying we should have offered contracts to Loovens, Semedo, Wallace, Reda Johnson. Who now think letting them go was a big mistake?